Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Hi Folks,
Just an update on the VOSA power to stop issue which rears its head occasionally on here.

The Transport Secretary Philip Hammond has put forward plans to extend the power to stop without a Police presence to VOSA vehicle examiners operating in Scotland.

Initially this will relate to commercial vehicle who VOSA examiners suspect of being overloaded / defective / operated illegally etc.
Its not inconcievable that these powers will extend to all vehicles, as in England / Wales.
I cant see this taking long to go through Parliament if needed, as a new Act is not needed, just an extention to existing powers.

Will keep you updated.

Cheers
John

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Wont be long before anyone in a look alike police car and flashing lights can pull you over. :Eeek:

God help us when this bunch of little Hitlers get a sniff of power:Doh:

OP
OP
johnp10

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Wont be long before anyone in a look alike police car and flashing lights can pull you over. :Eeek:

God help us when this bunch of little Hitlers get a sniff of power:Doh:

VOSA already have it, mate.
In Scotland they dont yet have the power to stop without Police present, but even there they can approach the driver of a stationary vehicle and require that the vehicle is submitted to examination. The driver must comply.
Not a new thing, been that way for years.
Must say, though, VOSA men are more knowledgable and more approachable than "Authorised Police Officers" who also have the power to issue prohibitions for defects.
In my experience, most of them dont know which way is up.
A VOSA examiner is empowered to issue a delayed prohibition if safe to do so, whereas a Police officer is not. Thiers can only be immediate.
Shows the level of expertise involved.
Many prohibitions issued by the Police are incorrect and can be made to go away on technicalities.
(Police officer quoting the wrong Regulation, etc.)
John

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
The Transport Secretary Philip Hammond has put forward plans to extend the power to stop without a Police presence to VOSA vehicle examiners operating in Scotland.

John

all part of the 'cut backs' no doubt .. and police time would be better spent catching real criminals rather than wet nursing VOSA

OP
OP
johnp10

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
all part of the 'cut backs' no doubt .. and police time would be better spent catching real criminals rather than wet nursing VOSA

Natural progression, Jim. Been on the cards for years.
Why should any part of the UK be different from another?
But yes, it will help the cutbacks.
Wether we will see an increase in scroats caught is another matter....doubtful.

Please note: this is NOT a Police knocking thread.
John

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Natural progression, Jim. Been on the cards for years.
Why should any part of the UK be different from another?
But yes, it will help the cutbacks.
Wether we will see an increase in scroats caught is another matter....doubtful.

Please note: this is NOT a Police knocking thread.
John

It started with the dreaded traffic wardens and the hobby bobby's

Doug...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
And in my opinion the people who should have the authority to issue Prohibition orders Dont,
The tester has no such powers
A Transit last week would have been a prime candidate.
I refused to do a brake test on the grounds of, there was a danger of the rear axle pulling or falling out due to extreme corrosion.
When I jacked it up at the rear the axle stayed put, along with what was left of its chassis rails
Now!! with 5 months tax left to run, do you think its off the road:RollEyes:
I know its not:whatthe:its still in use a week later:Doh:
Geo

OP
OP
johnp10

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
And in my opinion the people who should have the authority to issue Prohibition orders Dont,
The tester has no such powers
A Transit last week would have been a prime candidate.
I refused to do a brake test on the grounds of, there was a danger of the rear axle pulling or falling out due to extreme corrosion.
When I jacked it up at the rear the axle stayed put, along with what was left of its chassis rails
Now!! with 5 months tax left to run, do you think its off the road:RollEyes:
I know its not:whatthe:its still in use a week later:Doh:
Geo

I agree 100% Geo.
If not the power to issue prohibition notices, testers should at least have the authority to detain a vehicle pending the arrival of a VOSA examiner.
Unlike "Authorised Constables", testers are technicians, and not solely working to a script.

If testers were to be given these powers, can you imagine the crap that would generate on here? You would become Satan himself!

Having said that, many of the "dissenters to everything" have been quiet / gone since 1st July, so you may be ok.

John

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back