Speeding abroad is about to get very expensive (1 Viewer)

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
I know it is meant to be kept secret but Germans speeding in France and Dutch speeding in Spain etc will also be prosecuted under the same scheme... Road safety being taken seriously, whatever next..;);)

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Can anyone explain why "the system will only work one way because a quirk of the law means Europeans caught speeding in Britain cannot be hunted by UK police. "?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Can anyone explain why "the system will only work one way because a quirk of the law means Europeans caught speeding in Britain cannot be hunted by UK police. "?

It's a line in a :dm: story. Is there any corroboration elsewhere?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp

Shortage of police officers to review the evidence and do the paperwork?

WSandME

Free Member
Aug 9, 2016
Wigan-ish
Funster No
MH
Hymer B660 Bestline
Exp
SInce 2006
English law says driver responsible. French law says vehicle owner responsible, as I understand it.
I thought UK law also says registered keeper responsible - i.e. they have to divulge the identity of the driver at the relevant time.
Isn't it the same on the Continent?

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
We make a point of not speeding when in Europe but it can be quite easy to be caught out especially in France the villages do not have a speed limit signage requiring rapid deceleration at times to comply with the limit. This is made more tricky travelling and exploring new areas and suddenly coming onto a village not shown on the map, I 'm sure many of us have experienced this. Our Ducato speedo is difficult to read in bright sunlight and reading kms on it nigh on impossible. Our built in sat nav does display kms but digits are small and not easily seen with a glance. I usually do the maths game (drop the last zero from the kms sign and multiply by six) it's accurate enough and small error on side of caution i.e. a couple of mph below. Have just invested in an illuminated digital display gps speedometer to mount on windscreen making it easy to see at a glance.

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
We make a point of not speeding when in Europe but it can be quite easy to be caught out especially in France the villages do not have a speed limit signage requiring rapid deceleration at times to comply with the limit. This is made more tricky travelling and exploring new areas and suddenly coming onto a village not shown on the map, I 'm sure many of us have experienced this. Our Ducato speedo is difficult to read in bright sunlight and reading kms on it nigh on impossible. Our built in sat nav does display kms but digits are small and not easily seen with a glance. I usually do the maths game (drop the last zero from the kms sign and multiply by six) it's accurate enough and small error on side of caution i.e. a couple of mph below. Have just invested in an illuminated digital display gps speedometer to mount on windscreen making it easy to see at a glance.

It is the white rectangular sign with a red border and the name of the town/village in black which designates the start of the 50kmph limit... there are often no specific signs saying 50...

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
It is the white rectangular sign with a red border and the name of the town/village in black which designates the start of the 50kmph limit... there are often no specific signs saying 50...

Rectangular White sign indication name of town or village bordered in red.
Link Removed

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009

@Stewart J. Can you point me towards the gps speedo you have bought please. Is it any good?

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
As Moulin says the 50 Km limit starts where the town or village name sign is and usually as you come out the other side there will be an obvious de-restricted sign, usually just after the village name with a red line across. Some tight villages do have a short stretch of 30Km zone in them

Do remember, in France, all speed limits are reduced by 10 Km per hour in wet conditions but no idea what constitutes WET.

In the main the locals do respect the 50 Km speed limit and you will always get behind one that has never done 50 in their lives

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
That's OK I wont go there:p Loads I'v not seen over here(y)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Uk it is driver who has to be fined & owner has to state who it is. In Europe it is the vehicle /owner.No interest really in who was actually driving.:(

English law says driver responsible. French law says vehicle owner responsible, as I understand it.
(y)

I thought UK law also says registered keeper responsible - i.e. they have to divulge the identity of the driver at the relevant time.
Isn't it the same on the Continent?
No. Owner is responsible.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Apparently the fines we are to get here in the UK are to be related to what we earn..

So do the retired old gits like me get off Scott free ? I mean I earn nowt now and I'm 6 years away from the pensionable age...

How can we have a hard working person fined more than some lazy tripe hound who is on the Nat King earning sod all.

The unemployed get every bloody thing for nothing. Example. The local swimming pool/ gym charge me every month to use the facilities. The unemployed can go in for free...... Not that they do very often cos they are watching Jeremy Kile all day.

To find one person based on what they earn is about as stupid as this stupid country gets.

There I feel better now :D2

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Apparently the fines we are to get here in the UK are to be related to what we earn..

So do the retired old gits like me get off Scott free ? I mean I earn nowt now and I'm 6 years away from the pensionable age...

How can we have a hard working person fined more than some lazy tripe hound who is on the Nat King earning sod all.

The unemployed get every bloody thing for nothing. Example. The local swimming pool/ gym charge me every month to use the facilities. The unemployed can go in for free...... Not that they do very often cos they are watching Jeremy Kile all day.

To find one person based on what they earn is about as stupid as this stupid country gets.

There I feel better now :D2
Fully agree with you.

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Fines related to earnings were introduced back in the 80's. They have just altered the scope and applicability. A similar system also applies in most EU countries. I believe Norway is very hard on this. Simple answer is don't speed, and hope that if you do so in error that you don't get caught.

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years

Ummm - you do know that the UK is in Europe?

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Have not tried it yet, a friend purchased one earlier in year and swears by it. There are cheaper units on fleabay but as in all things you get what you pay for.
I've noticed that the speed displayed on any GPS receiver, be it sat nav or dedicated gps display is only really accurate on level ground. Going up or down steep hills will cause it to read incorrectly.
We have a road near us that goes from 110kmh to 90kmh at the top of quite a steep hill. Keeping the gps display at 90 and I notice the speedo goes up and the van accelerates.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
As Moulin says the 50 Km limit starts where the town or village name sign is and usually as you come out the other side there will be an obvious de-restricted sign, usually just after the village name with a red line across. Some tight villages do have a short stretch of 30Km zone in them

Do remember, in France, all speed limits are reduced by 10 Km per hour in wet conditions but no idea what constitutes WET.

In the main the locals do respect the 50 Km speed limit and you will always get behind one that has never done 50 in their lives
Had a friend stopped and fined when it wasn't raining but the road was wet .

He said to the gendarme 'I am English ' the response from the gendarme was ' i am French ' as if stating you r English made you not culpable lol

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
Yes, this is correct and it is therefore easy for the French (and others) to prosecute with just vehicle registration mark.

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
Yes, this is correct and it is therefore easy for the French (and others) to prosecute with just vehicle registration mark.

But THE SAME questions are asked:

Were you driving the car at the time of the offense? If Yes pay up..

If not, who was? OK we'll prosecute them...

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
There's loads of apps for your phone that will tell you gps speed for free

dna

Jan 17, 2010
Llandudno
Funster No
MH
AT Tribute 680 pvc
Exp
since 2009
There's loads of apps for your phone that will tell you gps speed for free
Thats how I do this - I have a phone mount in the corner of the dashboard with a power supply so the phone charges and displays the speed.

I also find if you try to keep up with the locals in any country (including UK) you will probably be speeding :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back