Using onboard facilities (1 Viewer)

What facilities do you use in your van

• All of it Shower, Hob, Oven, Sink, Loo (Pee and Poo)

Votes: 408 77.6%
  • Shower, Hob, Oven, Sink, Loo (Pee ONLY)

Votes: 60 11.4%
  • Shower, Hob, Oven, Sink, Never use loo

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hob Sink and Shower Only

• Only use Shower

• Hob and Sink only no shower

Votes: 21 4.0%
  • Never use any of the onboard facilities

• Any other combo not mentioned

Votes: 37 7.0%

• Total voters

Spade

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 5, 2014
Funster No
MH
dethleffs
Exp
Still a newbie
Can there be an option for shower not used please.
With 5 people in our van if we started using the shower.it would be in use most of each day.
We would use a site every third day for showers and emptying tanks.
Also would not pass a public toilet without asking kids if they needed to use it to save cassette space

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
It can't, but we do our best. We have the Attwood 10 gallon water heater. Long lingering showers and deep washing up bowls are the norm. :D
We find that the 10 gallon Atwood water heater works best on gas and electric when we want unlimited hot water. 350Lts of water can soon go if your not carefull

Sometimes we have to put extra water in after a few days

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We use all our facilities now, but we didn't when we first started.

We mainly use sites and if the facilities are good we use them.

We were at Playa Montroig recently and the toilets and showers there are amazing - much better than the van and on a par with our facilities at home.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
We use everything in our van. That's why we bought the bloody thing.

If we wanted to share toilets and showers with other people we would have bought a caravan or a tent although it's very rarely that we stay somewhere that has these "facilities" Even when they are there we never use them.

I don't get the "motorhome showers are rubbish" argument. Whatever capacity our boiler is paired with an Ecocamel shower head gives us more than enough hot water at a pressure that's better than a lot of other showers I've used.

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
In the previous vans, while on sites, the boss lady didn't like the van loos being used for 'number 2s' apart for emergencies.
That rule has gone now and last week saw everything in the van well and truly tested, even the microwave (don't have one at home) !

Mar 27, 2016
Melton Mowbray, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer 408
Exp
Since 2016
Actually don't have an oven so not used - but use everything else it's about getting a van that has what you need and no more...

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We were at Playa Montroig recently and the toilets and showers there are amazing - much better than the van and on a par with our facilities at home.

Same with some of the German sites I've often quoted, not on a par with home but better.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I bought a used van from the OLD Brownhills once..

It came with pre-filled no2 toilet !!!!!!!!!!!!! I was not happy to say the least... So much for their PDI... :mad:

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We never 'wild camp' in the uk but we use all our on board facilities.
If a site has great facilities then we'll probably use them but if not it's no big deal.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Grantown on Spey you not only get a proper job shower you get HiFi to add to the pleasure.
Hope they are playing one of the traditional Scottish welcome songs for you English people....;)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
In over 12 years of motorhoming (8 years fulltiming) I have never once used any site facilities. Have you seen the types of people using them :Eeek: no way am I going in there after they have come out :rofl:

Tell a lie, I did use one of the portaloos at the Stratford show 2 years ago. I was seriously drunk, but it was still enough to put me off ever trying again.

I will always walk past 1,2 or 3 toilet blocks to get back to my own van...

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
I ticked use them all, however i will use site showers if they are ok, the van shower i will use for a "wash down" if no site showers.

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: 7 years
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
We find that the 10 gallon Atwood water heater works best on gas and electric when we want unlimited hot water. 350Lts of water can soon go if your not carefull

Sometimes we have to put extra water in after a few days
I let the maids attend to all that sort of thing, putting coals in the warming pan, filling the spa, etc. Keeps them busy when they've finished dusting the bottles in the cellar and cleaning the chandeliers

Had to let the butler go, bloody fool left the humidor open and the humidity ruined the taste of my Cohiba Behike Cuban cigars, then he served the Dom Perignon at room temperature. You just can't get the right staff nowadays

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
In the previous coachbuilt van I used everything (if I can substitute microwave for oven). Quite happy to use site facilities if they're clean. The new van will be a 5m PVC so not sure what I'll be using - except that it won't have oven OR microwave. I expect to use everything as I'm hoping to spend a lot of time off-site. But the shower is quite small...

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
I use all I have on board ... when it's working. Last summer hot water wasn't available in the bathroom.... mind you it was sooooo hot, I had cold showers. Water wouldn't reach the kitchen sink in spite of JJ and I' s efforts.
But now everything is working fine again so using them all. Still, don't have a hob, and only a little electric oven I can only use when on a site. Also if I can avoid it I wash my long hair on a site. But I 've already done it in Max no prob!

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
use everything provided except the microwave - never had a call for that and could well do without it. However, shower and toilet were a major consideration when we bought the van - must be separate facilities, none of this standing on one leg as you try to accommodate a wheel arch etc.

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
I find it's a question of timing and location. Loo's in supermarkets or shopping malls are pretty good for #2's if you're out and about. Most of them get regularly cleaned and there's piped music too :D2

I try not to use the van's facilities for 'sit down toilet' use. I find that my sphincter remains tightly shut and I cannot go whilst the wife is hovering or reading her book a few feet away. How can one maintain one's attractiveness, or ask for a dab of perfume behind her ears after one has just subjected the lady to endless 'Threeps' and a wc pan resembling a flock of Starlings! Hardly sexy is it? Oh yes, there's the Cross of St.George dodge with the toilet paper, but if you get away with that, there's no beating the aroma cloud as you open the door and it starts peeling the wallpaper!

This is why campsite and other toilets are the better choice for me. At least you don't know the person in Trap 2 and giving them the benefit of last night's 'ruby' seems less offensive.

Yes, there's good and downright awful camp loos. Been in 'em all, from those that look like you're in a hotel, to those where you start counting the wall's squashed mosquitoes for something to do.

Going off-message a bit, I've tried to emulate the 'professional' campsite toilet goer; you know the type, he hasn't got one iota of embarrassment. Bog roll under his arm and you can hear him long before he enters the block by his out-of-tune whistle! Then, the doors come off the hinges as the trap door is slammed. No problem in him opening his bowels, oh no. Within seconds, you are treated to every sound imaginable and an Ahhhhh, as every peristaltic wave ripples across his colon.

Try and time your runs (no pun intended) and you can avoid both the van and the camp loo's (y)

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
And conversely, if on a campsite why not use their much better showers.

The old northern saying "there's nowt so queer as folk".

Yes, there's nowt so queer as folk who trip the light fantastic in the rain sometimes in their dressing gown and sometimes at night to have a wee or stand in a shower where someone with god knows what skin conditions has used before them, and our motorhome shower is certainly a match for any campsite one.:D

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: 7 years
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
I'm too afraid that if I used a site's facilities, somebody might steal my DNA and try to replicate me. That would never do, as Jim doesn't allow people to share their log in details (work it out, there's two jokes hidden in one, there)

Seriously, though, I really try to avoid using any public facilities in favour of using our own private facilities. Why buy a fully loaded motorhome if you're not going to use it as it was designed? Easily done for us, we tend to tour around, so spend very few nights on any site save to load up with water and empty the cassette. The prospects of catching verruca's, athlete's foot etc are quite real, and the variable hygiene standards found on sites are a bit off putting.

triclops

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2013
Bury
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Born again
I bought a used van from the OLD Brownhills once..

It came with pre-filled no2 toilet !!!!!!!!!!!!! I was not happy to say the least... So much for their PDI... :mad:

I had the same problems with a caravan that I bought from Glossop Caravans, even with a pre-delivery check sheet!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back