Free Member
Aug 20, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt on Transit
Exp
since 1988
We will be going to Northern Spain for 5 weeks (late April and all of May) and have never been before. All hints and tips greatfully received.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
A tad misleading title methinks
images_1.jpg

Apr 10, 2015
Australia
Funster No
MH
Big Marlin ,Elnagh, 1998
Exp
Motorhoming Europe since 2009
Hi, have been to Spain a few times. In 2015 we spent some time in northern Spain. Go to the link and you can see the places we have stayed , click on the blog link to see the blog's associated with the places. Enjoy Spain the more we go the better we like it.
Hope this helps.

http://www.travelbunyip.com/homepage/follow-our-2015-trip-map/

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Pop into 147, Calle Montera in Madrid. (y) Ask for Luciana, she does a fantastic pole dance, and will shake your castanets at the same time. :) She got 10 out of 10 from Stripadvisor.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Phew! calmed down now, with titles like that you will give us all heart attacks.:D

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
You might find the weather a bit changeable in May but we enjoyed Potes in the Picos mountains and would recommend a visit.

Near Potes is Fuenta De, take the Mirador Del Cable "cable car" into the mountains. Depending on how mild the spring is this area is meant to be good for its wild Orchids.

Llanes is Pretty and fairly near by is Naves where there is a inland beach cause by a collapsed sea tunnel - Playa de Gulpiyuri.

If you don't mind the spanish (equal to) aires you can stop at Fuenta De in the car park.

Another car park is often spoken about on the forum is Cabarceno near Santander.

Use some of the little roads through the mountains and whilst progress will be slow the scenery is fantastic.

Never done it but if you are brave the Cares Gorge is meant to be a nice walk. (y)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Take brollies, waterproofs and fleeces,,,also shorts and t shirts,,weather can change very quickly,,BUSBY,,

mlarb

Free Member
Aug 21, 2016
Jersey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker 2005
Exp
Since 2007
Up until a few weeks ago we too were "Spanish Virgins", as you describe it. We'd flirted twice with her before, once on the Atlantic side, where I confess we did stay over one night, and once on the Med side, but that was over by mid-afternoon.

I knew it was a matter of time before we visited Spain properly, and John Laidler's excellent book "Two go to Spain" gave us the final impetus.

So consider us as pioneering the way for you. We are almost three weeks in and are keeping a daily blog going, which can be found at mlarb.com.

I should point out that we are different from most, from what I can tell, in that we only use campsites if absolutely necessary, never hook-up, and now in Spain, where there are a fraction of the aires of France or Germany, becoming even more entrenched as users of Park4night, which with its user reviews of aires and excellent parking areas is something we simply couldn't be without.

Also, we're not great fans of the heat, so this first delve into Iberian motorhoming will be strictly a Northern Spain tour.

Not sure if I am supposed to mention my blog here (mlarb.com), but thought it might assist you. By the way, perhaps someone could advise me if there is a section where we can see others members' blogs and share our own.

This is my first post, so please be gentle with me. I've read the rules, so I'm confident if I do something wrong I'll only be admonished politely.

Mike

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Up until a few weeks ago we too were "Spanish Virgins", as you describe it. We'd flirted twice with her before, once on the Atlantic side, where I confess we did stay over one night, and once on the Med side, but that was over by mid-afternoon.

I knew it was a matter of time before we visited Spain properly, and John Laidler's excellent book "Two go to Spain" gave us the final impetus.

So consider us as pioneering the way for you. We are almost three weeks in and are keeping a daily blog going, which can be found at mlarb.com.

I should point out that we are different from most, from what I can tell, in that we only use campsites if absolutely necessary, never hook-up, and now in Spain, where there are a fraction of the aires of France or Germany, becoming even more entrenched as users of Park4night, which with its user reviews of aires and excellent parking areas is something we simply couldn't be without.

Also, we're not great fans of the heat, so this first delve into Iberian motorhoming will be strictly a Northern Spain tour.

Not sure if I am supposed to mention my blog here (mlarb.com), but thought it might assist you. By the way, perhaps someone could advise me if there is a section where we can see others members' blogs and share our own.

This is my first post, so please be gentle with me. I've read the rules, so I'm confident if I do something wrong I'll only be admonished politely.

Mike

We love the heat,,,hotter the better,,,BUSBY:D2:D2enjoy,,

Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
Don't stop to buy oranges from the beautiful women on plastic chairs, by the side of the road!! ( well, not with the wife there!)

Avoid flamenco dancers in Cadiz, with large,,,,,, families!!

But apart from that, it's a blast!!!! Xx enjoy!!

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Don't stop to buy oranges from the beautiful women on plastic chairs, by the side of the road!! ( well, not with the wife there!)

Avoid flamenco dancers in Cadiz, with large,,,,,, families!!

But apart from that, it's a blast!!!! Xx enjoy!!

Now then Ian,,what do you know about these nice ladies who sit in white chairs in lay byes?:D:DBUSBY.

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
If by the North of Spain you mean the REAL north of Spain and not the east (north of Spain) that some people call the north - confused???? then have a look at my recent thread Burgohondo and Beyond in the Spanish forum http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/burgohondo-and-beyond.150355/ and my thread from 2015 http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/10-days-in-asturias.117113/

This may give you some info that's of use to you.

That is what I meant.

Cracking posts, thank you.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
just get a mapamax map book of spain and portugal off amazon and follow the coast . keep the sea on your right and go all the way round the north coast. take every road or turning to the sea.
mind if coming from portugal best keep the sea on your left . hee hee great area.
been on that coast since 7th march. hardly seen any rain . its been the best winter in galicia since weather has been monitored. very often the warmest area in spain this last winter.
sunny and lovely at san vicente de barquera at moment . did have a chilly wind yesterday.
still alot of snow on the pico,s we can see it from here ,but thats normal at this time of year.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
just get a mapamax map book of spain and portugal off amazon and follow the coast . keep the sea on your right and go all the way round the north coast. take every road or turning to the sea.
mind if coming from portugal best keep the sea on your left . hee hee great area.
been on that coast since 7th march. hardly seen any rain . its been the best winter in galicia since weather has been monitored. very often the warmest area in spain this last winter.
sunny and lovely at san vicente de barquera at moment . did have a chilly wind yesterday.
still alot of snow on the pico,s we can see it from here ,but thats normal at this time of year.

28 degs in Mazarron,,,,Beautiful unspoiled Spain,,,

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
28 degs in Mazarron,,,,Beautiful unspoiled Spain,,,
yes but on the north coast there is great surfing beaches . not too good at mazarron for surfing.
was there earlier on this year. did east coast down to estapona then upwards visiting some places i hadnt been since my kids were very young about 30yrs ago .then across to the tip of galecia and along the coast. mind its like cominh home as many locals know us along that north coast. mind they do along the med as well. spend half my life there.

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
Sitting at the ferry park in dieppe waiting for the the ferry after our first attempt at Northern Spain. We stayed at a campsite in zumaia. Nice facilities and good for buses and you can get a train to Bilbao. Guggenheim there is a must. There's a good aire near the university in San Sebastian. We loved San Sebastian. We also enjoyed comillas beautiful small town with a palace and a gaudi house.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
mind could be from the spanish /french border. there is loads of places east of santander etc .
just hug the sea.
mind there is some good places inland up the pecos ,we went to brandomil inland from finistere great picnic area stop over by a early roman bridge and we watched otters playing in the river. last time i was there was years ago but it hasnt changed much . even had a local lad that remembered taking my kids back then to his dads bar . its his now ,dads retired .
we spend about a month most years in spring along that coast. great being in the sun and seeing snow on the pecos from a distance .

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Sitting at the ferry park in dieppe waiting for the the ferry after our first attempt at Northern Spain. We stayed at a campsite in zumaia. Nice facilities and good for buses and you can get a train to Bilbao. Guggenheim there is a must. There's a good aire near the university in San Sebastian. We loved San Sebastian. We also enjoyed comillas beautiful small town with a palace and a gaudi house.
we are at san vicente de barquera just along from comilas at the moment . passed through comilas on the way back from torrelavaga and tagle a small cove out by suances .lots nice coves along there.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
We will be going to Northern Spain for 5 weeks (late April and all of May) and have never been before. All hints and tips greatfully received.
I get confused with Northern Spain..is it the Costa Brava of Bilbao...

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
I get confused with Northern Spain..
.................And here's where I can help you, Mr B! (y)

For a VERY small outlet from your restricted budget, you can purchase one of these. :)

compass.jpg

Let me run it through with you. Hold the instrument flat in your hand, and you will be amazed to see the center move round! On it's own! Now, by letting the dial settle, and looking at the 'N', thats NORTH!
All you have to do now is take it to Spain, follow the above instructions, and your problem is solved! (y)(y)

Once again you will notice how I have helped you out with an earth shattering problem........:)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back