Anyone been - Provence in April? (1 Viewer)

May 19, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
6 years
hi
We are planning a just over two week holiday from 1st April (I work in a school). Has anyone been at this time of year? Weather looks like it could be anything at all pretty much. Is it still worth going? Sites are just opening up. We have not yet stayed at an aire so may well try as they may be quieter than summer. Last Easter we went to north of Scotland which we enjoyed but weather was grim at times. We have been to Provence with our tent in July and August when it is really too hot for me but the markets etc were fantastic with all the fresh produce available at this time. I am thinking we may get some warmish weather and be able to walk etc but I suppose it will not have the vibe of peak season ... I would be interested to hear if anyone has been at this time and what they thought.
My ideal time to go would be mid-May - roll on retirement in a couple of years!!

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
We've had brilliant weather all over France at that time of year so I don't see it being any different. The lavender won't be flowering though so sleep may not come as easily - and I should imagine if it decides to be windy and it's coming off the top of the Alpes de Provence - it might be a tad 'brisk'. Oh and the Verdon will be a bit cool for skinny dipping! But there again - it always is.

Not sure whether it's a particularly 'fleuri' part of France - which I always love to see around that time of year. Olive trees in flower are not exactly a stunning view LOL However most campings will be 'well' open then and the aires will be anyway, so you'll have plenty of choice there - and I'd think better for sightseeing - Riez is a 'right old' place and one day we just happened to go through there when a Medieval themed market was on - and spent hours and hours there - so we never got any further at all that day!

Aug 21, 2014
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20 yrs on and off
Going to France at the end of March for two months and plan to wander down to Provence as well. So will watch this thread with interest :smiley:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I've been to Nice in April and travelled through to Monaco, ( by train,can thoroughly recommend for a day trip) weather was warm, sunny. Remember spending at least one day on the beach and sitting outside drinking champagne ( those were the days!)
Will be colder up in the hills, of course, especially at night but nothing unbearable.
From memory Nice market was vibrant and busy, too.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We'll be driving through Provence in the middle of April. Looking forward to the flowers - there should be orchids out, just check the verges. :)

Reactions: f6c

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
We ve done South of France last 4 Easters (wife works in school) and as per @sedge the weather has been very warm on occasions. Seriously burn going to sleep in Rodez about 3 years ago. Last year Easter was March and very wet, the year before I think it was quite wet but remember a couple of days absolute heat in Arcachon (West coast) As well as Riez, Sault, Moustieres, Greoux les Bains, Sillans La Cascade, l'isle sur la sorgue, Monteux (if the huge new water park is open), Vaison La Romaine, Sisteron (but dont park in the one in the aires book. there are others) and Pernes les Fontaines have all been visited and are free aires (Apart from Moustiers Greoux Vaison) and I would definitely stop at all of those in any Aprilas there are things to see or soak up.
You can also stop at the top of Mt Ventoux and set the alarm for sunrise. It is supposed to be spectacular as the "le geant de Provence" is quite a bit higher than anything near it so you are nearly 6,000 feet high looking down in all directions. (I have failed to make it here in my motorhome yet - and definitely failed on the pushbike) You need to check the history out of Tommy Simpson and le tour c1967 ?) but remember if you do it then check the wind levels. If there is a slight gust at the bottom then its possible ! Last year at le tour the riders were coming down on 14/7 saying it was minus 4 at the top and cyclists were being blown off the mountain literally. They cut the race short by 6 miles.
Gorges du Verdon should be quite quiet and make sure you take your time and go on the Southern road for fantastic views with a 3,000 foot sheer drop. not for the fainthearted driver or passenger but stunning. Up the top of this road look out for le styx which is a sort of open canyon and it may be open but you will need a wetsuit. There ar ealso numerous "clues" about. So if you see on your map "Clues de esteron" or "Clues de un autre river" this means that you can have access to pretty rock formations in the river that are sort of like mini canyons. In the summer it is possible to swim in them. It will be possible in April but water levels will be higher and a dam site colder
Oops Entrevaux, another free stop Just park in the railway car park. historic fortified town.

I am bias but Provence is lovely. Even better in the summer with lake swimming to St Croix and Esparron and numerous rivers and other lakes. If you can do aires do them. I find them very social, the dutch, belgians and germans always want to practice their anglaisey as do the french. 20 euros a day saved over a fortnight is ....erm .....hold on ...... quite a bit.
Any more info required let me know

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
As has been said, you will experience most every type of weather...We used to go regularly at Easter, sun burn on occasion, snow on others, I'm sure some rain as well...

But very enjoyable and worth the effort and cost!!!

Reactions: f6c
OP
OP
Lizi
May 19, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
6 years
I think we will go for it! Had a look at some of your suggested places to visit suavecarve - thank you. We stayed further west around St Remy de Provence when there last so new ideas good. It is likely to be warmer and drier than Scotland ... I wonder if the Almond/cherry trees will be in blossom then??

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
i dont know about the blossom period but July is a great time for scrumping cherries !

So thinking about it cherries will be out about that time. Unfortunately my bees will be feeding on something completely different (not rape) where we are. Hoping for an early blossom yield this year.

May I suggest getting the "Wild Swimming in France" book.

You may not like swimming but it gives you fantastic off the beaten spots to go see. and it covers the whole of the south of france inland. Saves hitting the med. Probably pick up one for a tenner on eeebay.

Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
Weather in April can be wonderful, but can be terrible. The unknown is the wind called the Mistral. It can ruin a holiday.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mistral_(wind)

Dick
I agree

We had the Mistral driving around Provence and on to Carcassonne last year - no respite coming off autoroute. Worst wind by far that I have had to drive MH - you could almost feel the front lifting. Sun was warm, but wind was harsh.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We spent last April and May travelling down through the Pyrenees, over to Provence and up the Rhone valley. Weather was generally very good, quite warm with a few rainy days.
We seemed to have missed the Mistral or at least the worst of it, most of the time it was warm enough for jumpers or light jackets.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back