Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Suffolk. Near Bury st Edmunds
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
we have been contacted by A1approved to extend our warranty. It's expensive....£495 per year. A1 have been great on our current dealer warranty, but is it something that everyone does....do you have an extended warranty?

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
We extended our last year at a cost of £395 - expires in March. The last 2 jobs were not covered under the warranty, and we're just waiting to hear if the latest job is covered. We won't be extending again.

OP
OP
Sue

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
We extended our last year at a cost of £395 - expires in March. The last 2 jobs were not covered under the warranty, and we're just waiting to hear if the latest job is covered. We won't be extending again.
Who did you go with?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
We never buy them for anything Sue - but if major work was necessary outside the original 'from new' one (ie right now forwards) we know we'd have to stump up for it, and I'm not going to apologise for this, we could afford to do so. Though we'd still cuss like hell, naturally.

There's only you who knows the full details of your own financial situation now and going forward - and there's only you who knows whether you'll be able to rest easy in your bed either with or without the cover. Can you, eg, find the £400 for the cover easily for starters?

I have no idea how wide or narrow the cover is with these - are there many things that aren't covered - stuff like wear and tear on the engine isn't obviously so if yours had, for instance, an expensive mechanical prob - how would you pay for that? (I don't want to know, but you must) Or - would you just have to sell it at the best price, 'as is' and wave it goodbye?

Reactions: Sue

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Considered extending ours last year but when we looked at the detail the exclusions were numerous and decided it wasn't worth it.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
My experience as a trader
Sometimes they work, Mostly they dont, due to misunderstood expectations.
study the small print

It really does matter
ie who pays for diagnosing the fault ect
will a snapped cam belt result in a £25 bill for them and a £1500 bill for you? a (No resulting damage clause) could see them paying for the snapped belt only and you paying for resulting damage
We no longer undertake warranty work for numerous reasons.
Check the small print vigorously
G

OP
OP
Sue

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
We never buy them for anything Sue - but if major work was necessary outside the original 'from new' one (ie right now forwards) we know we'd have to stump up for it, and I'm not going to apologise for this, we could afford to do so. Though we'd still cuss like hell, naturally.

There's only you who knows the full details of your own financial situation now and going forward - and there's only you who knows whether you'll be able to rest easy in your bed either with or without the cover. Can you, eg, find the £400 for the cover easily for starters?

I have no idea how wide or narrow the cover is with these - are there many things that aren't covered - stuff like wear and tear on the engine isn't obviously so if yours had, for instance, an expensive mechanical prob - how would you pay for that? (I don't want to know, but you must) Or - would you just have to sell it at the best price,
'as is' and wave it goodbye?
Thanks
We bought last year and have a couple of jobs done under warranty, including leaking sky light, no problem at all with getting the work done or the money paid. It's only 3 years old, but that counts for nothing. For me piece of mind....big job, don't have to worry, is what matters...but I don't want to take,out a worthless warranty, so it's lots of conversations so with warranty people and a good exam of small print I think!

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
My experience as a trader
Sometimes they work, Mostly they dont, due to misunderstood expectations.
study the small print

It really does matter
ie who pays for diagnosing the fault ect
will a snapped cam belt result in a £25 bill for them and a £1500 bill for you? a (No resulting damage clause) could see them paying for the snapped belt only and you paying for resulting damage
We no longer undertake warranty work for numerous reasons.
Check the small print vigorously
G

Good post and it mirrors us. People ask us (tell us :rolleyes:) that we will undertake a repair and then send the bill to their warranty company

We always politely refuse. We end up piggy in the middle, always seem to have to fight to get paid, and when we do eventually get paid, we end up out of pocket!

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
When we first took out our extended warranty it was very good. There were a few jobs they discovered that needed doing. The first one, in my memory was the shower tray. That was in 2008 (it's a 2005 Moho).
The next one, a year later was the electrobloc. We then had a problem with the gas supply as the rubber hose was being affected. They changed the regulator but suggested we change hoses to stainless steel, which we did (when we had Gaslow, we already had the S/S hoses of course. However, they also advised us that it wouldn't be covered again.
The electrobloc went again and again they replaced it but said that was the limit. We had a RCD fitted to the EHU cable to prevent incoming electric to not start. (probably the wrong terminology). Now, a few competent sparks have said it wouldn't prevent it but since 2009, we've used all manner of different sites and on 3 occasions, it wouldn't allow electric, changed EHU to another one (one moving to another part of site) and it allowed power. We also did a belt and braces job by the fact, around that time, a gizmo was introduced by electrobloc to prevent it. However, we didn't renew the extended warranty at the end of the initial 5 years and since Brownhills are no longer in Preston. At that time it was £495 for 5 years but was going to a yearly charge after the initial 5 years. At that time we also had servicing and habitation by Brownhills along with MOT. Since, we use our local guy who picks the Moho up, services and MOT and we use Phil from Rhinoinstalls for habitation checks and other fittings as in sorting the TV and fitting Gaslow ( yes, folk do it themselves but I'm all thumbs and rather have someone competent, not that I'm saying self fitters aren't competent at all). Recently had new carpets fitted but that's another story but extremely happy with the results.
So, yes we had one when we first had the Moho but I wouldn't have renewed afterwards.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Extended warranty = insurance.

Insurance = gambling.

Gambling = bookmakers.

Bookmakers win... they know the odds.

Save the money you would have spent on the "warranty" every year. Then you will have the money to pay for any repairs you MIGHT need.

JJ :cool:

Deleted User
Extended warranty = insurance.

Insurance = gambling.

Gambling = bookmakers.

Bookmakers win... they know the odds.

Save the money you would have spent on the "warranty" every year. Then you will have the money to pay for any repairs you MIGHT need.

JJ :cool:

Exactement!!

Every extended warranty that I have ever looked at have so many get out clauses making them almost worthless.

My present van came with a 3 year warranty from the dealer FOC but I wouldn't have any realistic expectations of it paying out anything realistic, I certainly would never purchase one.

Nik

Oct 29, 2014
Cornish exile in Surrey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
1 year
Gold cover with MB & G.
We have the same, extended for 2 years from 2015 so ends in May. So far they have paid out more than the premium even with one claim declined. Just had the instrument panel repaired as the warning lights were glowing all the time. No problem with Gold MB&G.
We've been lucky so far.
regards
Nik.

cornish boy

Free Member
Jul 24, 2016
Body in Hampshire, heart in Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 669.
Exp
not so newbie anymore - since 2016
In reality they are a third party insurance policy, so as already said, you really need to read the small print to understand what you are buying and what elements are excluded, only then will you know if it is the sensible purchase for your particular vehicle after taking age, use and history into account.

For some people it will work out to be the right decision and they will save many times the premium cost but overall the insurers need to earn more in premiums than they spend in repairs to stay in business, so for each person saying it was the right decision, there will be at least another two wishing they had held onto their money!

It is also not unusual for the insurer to have hidden in the T&C's that they will only pay out a 'Nationwide Labour Rate' or similar description. Worth noting that in some cases the rate they pay is significantly less than the repairer charges and any shortfall will be down to the owner to cover.

Spanda

Free Member
Jun 13, 2016
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 590 RS
Exp
We have an extended warranty - thankfully !

About a month after the dealer's warranty on our 2008 Sundance expired our fridge played up and decided to blow the 240 volt electrics. No damage to anything else on the van as the trip switch saved the day, but the fridge electrics were well and truly fried. The RAC decided that the fridge couldn't be economically repaired, so they have paid out for a brand new 3-Way Fridge. So the RAC Extended Warranty already looks like an absolute bargain. We have had our money back and more, and still have the best part of three years warranty left.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back