Which TV Motorhome specific or use an invertor (1 Viewer)

Summies

Free Member
Sep 6, 2009
Funster No
Hi there i am looking to buy my first Tv for my motorhome and i'm unsure what to get. Was looking at the 19" avtec with built in dvd but these are priced at £330ish. What is the difference between this and a normal Tv used in conjunction with an invertor at around £150Or is there any other brand out there which is reasonably priced.
:Smile:

Feb 18, 2009
Guisborough North Yorkshi
Funster No
MH
Malibu T410
Exp
Since August 2008
Tv

Have you looked at the Meos we bought ours from We Do Didgital we only bought the 12 inch as it has its own battery that lasts for about 3 hrs great Tv have seen other pasts on the site reccomending them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
S

Summies

Free Member
Sep 6, 2009
Funster No
If using a meos or other 12v would a stabiliser be required whilst engine is running.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
dont bother with either.

a normal LCD TV will work just fine off 12v if it has a small power transformer in the power lead.

comet, curries, argos, aldi, asda etc...they all sell 'em and a lot cheaper than an Avtec, most with a built in DVD.

as said...so long as it has the transformer it will run on 12v.

personally i use a voltage stabilizer supply and a 15" OHN TV.

some folks say just connect direct to the 12v supply.

scrap the supplied mains lead and make up a 12v lead.

only thing to look for is the type of plug at the TV end....some plugs are unobtainable but most have a standard DC plug.....cylindrical plug with live center and earth outer.

Avtec etc are far too expensive for what they are....how often are you going to stick a camera SD card in to look at photos? even though you're paying for the priviledge.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If using a meos or other 12v would a stabiliser be required whilst engine is running.

DEFINATELY !, YES !, WITHOUT DOUBT !!!!!!.

when the engine is running you may be producing 14.8v or more and the tv will not tolerate such a high voltage.

they are designed to run on 12v with very little tolerance.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Summies

Free Member
Sep 6, 2009
Funster No
Where do i get a voltage stabilizer and what would i expect to pay?:winky:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
have a look here...

CLICK HERE.

expect to pay around £40 but can be used on many different tv's using their adaptors.

exactly the same supply but the plugs are different hense the price difference.

Last edited:

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
We bought one of these works fine off 12v

Link Removed

Virtually the Same TV in Leisure power £279

Last edited:

New Rover

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
Funster No
I have a 19" UMC TV bought from TJ Hughes 2 years ago.
It has worked fine ever since and that is running it from mains when on hook-up and I made up a lead from bits from Maplins which runs the set from the 12v socket when wilding with no hook-up.
(Don't bother with a stabiliser as I never run the set when engine is running.)

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
although I agree with all that has been said, I have an avtex 15 inch dvd combi. Its designed to run on 12v but thats not just the reason to buy an Avtex. It is an absoloute gem of a tv. Superb picture quality and super sound. inbuilt card reader for photos, music sounds like your there when you listen to it.

so as said, any tv will do, but there's a little more to an avtex. :winky:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Avtex are reckoned to be the Honda of the TV world.. specifically designed and built for boats, motorhomes etc.. using more robust and better quality components ... and it is being advertised with a three year warranty ..

You can get cheaper models with less in the way of features and lower quality components, but in the long run, Avtex is likely to last longer and give you less trouble.

I bought a 15" Toshiba in Spain, it was only ever used on mains but 14 months of travel killed it .. :Sad:

jim

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
i have an akura 15" came with a 12v lead with the cigarette lighter plug thingy and the mains 240 lead.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back