Power options (1 Viewer)

eddiegolf1

Free Member
Jul 31, 2008
Funster No
Hi all...just bought Swift Royale with 85ah leisure batt. going to go to Highlands for week (will be static at golf club) and after doing a search on subject here still confused on options!

I want to run sky tv (5/6 hr p/day) and buy the smallest micro. (heater on carver.)

My dilema is what do I need to power above ie geni/inverterter/extra leisure batts..

Many thanks

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Eddie,

by 'micro' i assume you mean microwave oven.

i use a 650watt oven and the power needed to run it is 1200watt.

your best option will be a generator but you will need one of maybe 2000watt output.

an invertor will be pretty much useless on only one 85ah battery....flatten it in no time.

running a tv and sky box through an inverter will also cane the battery using it for 5 or 6 hours daily.

5 or 6 hours at maybe 5amps drain will leave your battery about 60% charged and in need of a recharge.

an extra battery will help but its best to replace the old one as well and upgrade to 110ah batteries.

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
nice long cable for a mains hook up

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I want to run sky tv (5/6 hr p/day) and buy the smallest micro. (heater on carver.)

You'll need a genny and if you want to power a 600 watt microwave, they pull 1kw running and bit more on start up so that requires a 2kw genny ..

I would forget the micro and buy a smaller 1kw genny just to re charge the battery .. and preferably one with inverter technology such as the Honda or Kippor, quieter and safer for on board electronics.

jim

Phil

Free Member
Oct 21, 2007
Herts
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
10 years
My Royale originally had an 85 Ah fitted. It seemed to need frequent charging when I was touring. I thought it might be failing as it was about 7 years old. I replaced it with another 85ah and it seemed about the same.

Last year I decided to replace it with 110 Ah. I enlarged the frame to suit and the difference in performance is remarkable. It rarely needs charging when touring. I go away for 2 months at a time 3 times a year and only charge it once or twice even though the charge indicator has never gone out of the green zone.

Phil.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back