Clacton on sea: what a contrast to France (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Visited Clacton today, what a contrast to France.

Car park on the sea front £4.40 for 4 hours, and it was empty.. so turned out and headed north.

Free parking along the prom was full, lots of motorhomes and one RV parked up.

North prom was quieter so parked up to take the dog a walk and look for a toilet ... what a joke, they were all closed, after a 15 min walk finally found one at the pier .. the smell was enough to turn your stomach.. does bleach cost so much ? :Doh:

Bought an ice cream cone for Chaz £1.60 .. another rip off :RollEyes:

Headed north toward Frinton in the hope of finding a place for a pic nic.. finally found a beautiful country park with beach parking just outside Clacton and it was all but deserted ..
then saw the Pay and Display .. £1 per hour .. so dug deep and bought a ticket .. under the watchful eye of a parking attendant .. and of course there was a height barrier, 5ftr 9in .
Four or five old wooden pic nik tables were dotted about, none usable, all trashed and burned out.. so at £24 for a days parking it must be the most expensive grass in the UK ..

What a waste, a great place for an aire but not even allowed to day park :Angry:

What a sad excuse for a holiday resort, run down rip off Clacton ... no facilities for motorhomes, but plenty of expensive car parking..

why does the UK not wake up .. no wonder we head off in droves to France and beyond .:Angry:

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
I expect it,s all council run no incentive to do any better.:cry:
Its far easier just to put the local rates up.

Dave

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
I'm sure that many of us here would make superb MPs but the trouble is, as you said, we are off most of the time abroad in out motorhomes.

We often denigrate our MPs, and it is always justified, but just imagine the type of person you would have to be to withstand the utter boredom of the Houses of Parliament.

How can anyone get fired up over the details of a new sewage system in Blackpool? One day whilst we were in Florida we suffered a heavy downpour so I decided to do some channel hopping and I came across "yesterday in Parliament". Utterly fascinated I watched Question Time for a few minutes while all the five MPs present discussed such a weighty problem and I vowed that no matter how many times I am reincarnated I am never going to be an MP.

However after reading about their expense system I have changed my mind and it is now top of the list. A fully "expensed" absentee MP with several homes sounds just the job for me.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I expect it,s all council run no incentive to do any better.:cry:
Its far easier just to put the local rates up.

Dave

so how can the French get is so much better, ?

UK Car parks are by and large are run by rip off companies not local councils..

Aires are under the control of the town Mayor, not private enterprise .. the incentive for him is he will be re-elected if the local shops make money from motorhomers .. he's not out to make money but to be popular ..

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Why on earth did you want to visit Clacton?

Lived there for 15 years (well, Costa Geriatrica next door - Holland on Sea) and could wait to get out. Unfriendly, dead in the winter and unbelievably tacky in the summer.......

warwick

Free Member
Sep 16, 2008
Funster No
I would`nt have admitted to going to Clacton.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Detourer

Trader - Tour Operator
Jul 30, 2007
Spain and Morocco
Funster No
MH
4x4 OverLander
Exp
20+ years
Yes Jim.......I was in the UK last week, one of the most expensive weeks ever. Worst thing was I collected my car, that I left in the UK when I moved to Spain........Jag V8.....did over 350 in fuel :cry:..........but thats off the point, another story and my own fault.........did love it though :winky:

I suspect that many of those Mhome owners staying in the UK this year for a "Cheaper" holiday will be rushing over the channel again in 2011 :ROFLMAO:

Elvis

Free Member
Jun 13, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since Nov 2008
not read it then

I guess you guys have not read the post, saying that Clacton Council wants to pass a by-law banning MHs then! :Eeek:

I say keep away from the Pik.. ooops I mean 'traveller' dumping ground ... they all live in council houses now though :ROFLMAO: in Clacton ! :ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back