Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
8 years
Hi
We are following the Moselle up to the Rhine then down to Black Forest area
But concerned about if I enter Switzerland
Have been told that because my m/h is over 4 ton it will create a cost ??
Can anyone please explain

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
No, actually, it is cheaper, depending on your stay length. At the border, you will need to explain you are over 3500, and they will direct you where to go. At some more remote borders, you will just have to stop and go to the office.
You will be given a form to fill in, don't worry, the guard will help you. Generally the cheapest option is 7 days in any month which is 32.50CHF. The form gets registered and stamped, and you are good to go. You must fill in the dates of travel in Switzerland on your copy, and keep as evidence. All options will be explained to you, but it is very simple.
Remember, at over 3500kg in Switzerland you have a punitive speed limit, 80kph, so stick to the scenic routes, they are just as quick at that speed!

OP
OP
The rehctub
Sep 20, 2014
Luton
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
8 years
Thank you so much, calmed us down totally
Regards
Gordon & Greta

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Just to add

I suggest you stock up your shopping before you go into Switzerland. Lovely country, great roads, amazing railways - ridiculous prices.

Jon

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Just to add

I suggest you stock up your shopping before you go into Switzerland. Lovely country, great roads, amazing railways - ridiculous prices.

Jon

Yes it is expensive. But this more apparent with the euro dropping so much and looking good value...... as the Swiss franc has always hovered around 1-1.50 or 1.60. When the euro was around 1.15 for years, it did not seem so expensive. Have visited lots of times over the years on way to Italy....

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Do remmember the road charges apply for each day you are in Switzerland not just the days you are on the roads.

madgeD

Free Member
Aug 17, 2014
Cleveland
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
since 2005
I dont think you are likely to stray into Switzerland unintentionally by going into the Black Forest area and you would come up to a Border kiosk if you did, you might think you have gone into Switzerland if you go into Bavaria it is beautiful. Last year we went through Italy and ended up going into part of Switzerland getting into Germany at the border we spoke to the guard saying we werent stopping just going through into Germany he told us where to make for and we didnt pay anything :cry: but I had a very nervous ride expecting to be stopped and having to pay up!! we didn't realize how much it was going to cost us going into Italy from Grenoble through the tunnels it was ridiculous.

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
If you are entering via Basel on the motorway, at the boarder is the security/customs point. It is in that office that you complete the paper work

Soozywoozy

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Oxfordshire - edge of the cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes
Not sure - we entered via Geneva motorway and the customs are clearly signposted for vignettes etc so sure it's same in Basel. The 10 day pass (maybe it's 12, but can't remember) is worth considering as it is not continuous - the other passes are if you are thinking of returning or even driving through in the next 12 months. You have to mark it everyday you are in Switzerland even if not travelling.
Make sure you have all your paperwork, registration docs etc

OP
OP
The rehctub
Sep 20, 2014
Luton
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
8 years
A bit confused as we posted this request message September 2015
But thanks for all advice

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
If you are entering via Basel on the motorway, at the boarder is the security/customs point. It is in that office that you complete the paper work
I think we were at the crossing you describe, watch this video. All you do is go in Vignette lane, explain that you are over 3.5 tonnes, and then listen to the directions you are given.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back