Bl@£dy frost! (1 Viewer)

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Got the van ready for 'the off' this week.................

Serviced

Cleaned

Waxed

Tyre pressures

Filled up the water tank.............................. oh b@£ger............ looked out side this morning to see 100 litres of water all over the drive......... it got so cold over night the 'frost protection' dumped all the water :eek::eek:

Ah well, I can fill it up later....

pops

Free Member
May 1, 2012
south glos
Funster No
MH
Pilote panel van
Exp
since1997
When my valve opens it only lets the water go in the heater, Do you leave the pump switched on to empty the tank.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
LOL......

Great idea those dump valves... NOT. !!!!

Glad my Autotrail dont have one.... :giggler:

;)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

BONZO

Free Member
Mar 1, 2012
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
Kon tiki 30ft
Exp
Why are you carrying water around the uk its takes more fuel fill up when you get there.

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
The boiler is in the lowest part of the fresh water system so when it drains.....every thing drains!

Yes at least it is safer and cheaper than fractured pipes, but hey ho

I had wondered about taping over the valve, but the day I do is probably when it really freezes :eek:

Carrying water? I use the golden rule of fill up fresh, empty waste, at every opportunity..... much less stressful (except today :rolleyes:)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Why are you carrying water around the uk its takes more fuel fill up when you get there.

That's ok if you are actually going somewhere otherwise you'll have no water every time you stop.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I remember meeting someone on a CC site who went to great lengths to describe how they always travelled virtually empty so that they could fill up at the site when they arrived and thus not have to pay for the water at home, as they were on a meter. Being a worrier I like to be prepared for breaking down somewhere or getting stuck for hours in a traffic jam. Also, not having to fill up when you arrive at a site, especially one that does not have a MH service point is so much more relaxing. :)

BONZO

Free Member
Mar 1, 2012
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
Kon tiki 30ft
Exp
We carry some water for stops and breakdowns but do not hall gallons around as it can save me 5 mpg which is a good savings But I see you have plenty of spare money so carry on . we all do it differently is what makes us Happy.

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
We carry some water for stops and breakdowns but do not hall gallons around as it can save me 5 mpg which is a good savings But I see you have plenty of spare money so carry on . we all do it differently is what makes us Happy.
You must have a very large water tank!!

Back in reality, adding 90Kg of water to a vehicle that weighs 4000Kg+ will make virtually no discernable difference to fuel economy. Certainly not 5mpg !

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
Always travel with separate bottle for drinking and as rosalan enough for an impromptu/emergency stop

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
The old adage for a car was 100lbs extra weight might drag your mpg down by 1%. This would be much less for a motorhome.

BONZO

Free Member
Mar 1, 2012
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
Kon tiki 30ft
Exp
Gizmouk.
Have you been a fireman they like to carry WATER......lol

pops

Free Member
May 1, 2012
south glos
Funster No
MH
Pilote panel van
Exp
since1997
Chockswahay, Sorry I can not see how the water drains from the tank, unless Globecar fit the feed pipe at the bottom of tank. I have read on a few forums that people have said the same, but all my vans I have owned I have had to drain the tank by pulling the plug or open the drain tap. I did handovers for 10 years for a well known caravan/motorhome dealer and all on board tanks had to be drained by plug or tap. Sorry again for not understanding but it is something that's been bugging me for quite some time.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We always travel with a full water tank, makes no noticeable difference to mpg and many places either have no water or it needs a jeton which we probably don't have. I do carry a few but never found the same one twice. Anyway it makes sense to fill up where the waters free rather than possibly have to pay for it.

And a bit more on topic, our frost drain tap will drain the main tank if the pump is on but potentially could do so even if off as it is at a low point, in practice an airlock usually forms which stops it drining the whole system.

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
@pops I'm sorry that it worries you but that's the way it is. The feed pipes do come out of the top of the tank then run across the floor of the van to the boiler (water RH wheel arch, boiler LH wheel arch). I think it occurs due to siphoning, but I sure you it does occur :rolleyes:

pops

Free Member
May 1, 2012
south glos
Funster No
MH
Pilote panel van
Exp
since1997
Chockswahay, .Thanks for the return imfo. I can understand now how it could siphon. More of an interest than a worry, but having read most of your post I new you would give a good answer. Hope you enjoy trip. We will be up to Scotland in a couple of weeks to the end of June. Terry

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
We will be up to Scotland in a couple of weeks to the end of June. Terry
Wot!:eek: It will be cold and rainy I tell you ;) Head South.......... very South...........like France or Italy South (y):D:D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back