Feb 8, 2015
Wirral, North West England
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi All,

I'm sure you've all discussed this many times before but I've been out of the touring scene for over 15 years and maybe some things have changed.
When we used to tour we had a wonderful double axle Fleetwood. We were members of the Caravan Club. I found most of their sites to be well cared for, clean & tidy. Never really had a bad experience. The pitches were usually a good size and they were rarely full even at peak times. The only negative experience was on one of their recommended sites in France were we had some pup tents virtually under our caravan.
Anyway, my question, is there a preference amongst Funsters to which club is best or is it just as easy not to join any and book individual sites direct?

Thanks Antony

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I think it depends what you are looking for.

We were in the C&CC as we were campers and then got our first van..... re-joined when we bought the current van - I like the smaller club sites when we have the Grandson with us as they often have a play area (he is only two) and a dedicated room where we can bath him / clean him up. He is a muck magnet.

When it is just the two of us we like the hideaway CS locations. We've had mixed experiences with independent sites.

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
We are with the C&CC, mainly for the use of their Temporary Holiday Sites. We are also members of the MCC.
Brisey.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
We're in both & rally locally with both, use the club sites and CL/CS sites. We also have our annual multi-trip travel insurance through the CC.

Oct 24, 2013
Nantwich. Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
6yrs ish!
In both. They both offer some benefit. It's all down to personal preference.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
We kicked the C&CC into touch this year and stayed with the CC.
We thought the C&CC were taking the wee wee with some of their prices, and also perhaps the main reason their web site was a nightmare

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
We thought the C&CC were taking the wee wee with some of their prices, and also perhaps the main reason their web site was a nightmare

We belong to both, find it handy to have more choice sometimes.
Not looked into it yet but the last edition of the C&CC magazine said they had "listened to the members" and had reverted back to the old pricing policy. One site I stayed in near Oban last year said their bookings had been down by half because of the ridiculous changes to the pricing.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Both, but if I had to chose one it would be the CC, and given where you are based if you plan to tour Scotland they have more sites there. Lots of other options in Scotland and elsewhere of course but sites are comfy! The only downside, and it is common to both of them, is many of their sites are, to put it kindly, in the middle of nowhere. Fine if you have a caravan and therefore have a car to get about but if you are looking for sites within walking distances of pubs and shops you need to look at the locations of each site closely.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
I am a member of both but if I had to choose just the one it would be the C & CC. Primarily because I am a solo traveller, benefit from the age concession discount for the over 60's and can choose to have a pitch without electric hook up on a lot f sites, which obviously are cheaper.

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
We are in the C&CC and the Motor caravan club, we like them both for the weekend and holiday meets.

Ethle the wondervan

Free Member
Mar 13, 2015
Peak District
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
One year
Neither, we prefer to do our own t'ing and go where the fancy takes us. If you rely on others to book 'club' sites for you your options become drastically reduced.
Anyroad, that's wot I t'ink.

Also, clubs are best for like-minded people and I would hate to find someone with a mind like mine! :lips::moon2:

Last edited:

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
I am a member of both but if I had to choose just the one it would be the C & CC. Primarily because I am a solo traveller, benefit from the age concession discount for the over 60's and can choose to have a pitch without electric hook up on a lot f sites, which obviously are cheaper.

Same for me as a solo motorhomer..

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We only very rarely tour in the UK so have little use for membership of either. We are members of the C&CC as we do like the New Forest, but as the Member discount and the Age concession are similar and you can't have both on the Forestry Commission sites we don't really save anything.
We did join CC for one year as we wanted to visit Roslyn chapel, and there is a nice CL almost next to the chapel.

Reactions: kcy

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
We do by have either as we find they are not set up for our type of touring.

Oct 25, 2014
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs A 7870-2
Exp
Newbie, caravanner since 2008
I may just be a bit dim/not entirely sure how the C&CC website works, but I do find it much harder to find info on their sites, than CC ones.
They don't seem to have site plans (anyone ?), they have irritating 5 night minimum stay lengths over bank holidays at some sites, they don't let you know their max outfit/unit length on a particular site online (or in their book, so far as I can see), so you get your hopes up, then find you can't fit. :rolleyes: They take all your money upfront (if within 2 weeks of arrival), so not sure how our 'freebie' voucher is going to work (paid nothing to the CC Bunree site, yet). Oh yes and they don't have availability calendars. Don't you just hate it when you plug in permutation after permutation to try and satisfy the available criteria, and it keeps saying nope!
I bet it's cos my name' s not 'Jim' :ROFLMAO:

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
I agree entirely the C & CC website is a very 'unfriendly' site to use, the CC is definitely the better of the 2 especially for the late availability option.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We are c&cc members.. Their site is a bit rubbish but we do use the App.. Their THS are quite good and our 19 y/o daughter is disabled so gets special membership which is free.

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
Only got our first MoHo last weekend and have joined both. We need to experience them both over the next couple of years before deciding if it is worth staying with them.

T

Tackle man

Deleted User
We stay at both clubs full sites in low season and use CL's and CS"s at other times.
They suit our needs. I am no computer whizkid and if I can't get the answers I want from their sites I phone up and ask. We also like the CC&C "Camping in the forest sites".

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
I may just be a bit dim/not entirely sure how the C&CC website works, but I do find it much harder to find info on their sites, than CC ones.
They don't seem to have site plans (anyone ?), they have irritating 5 night minimum stay lengths over bank holidays at some sites, they don't let you know their max outfit/unit length on a particular site online (or in their book, so far as I can see), so you get your hopes up, then find you can't fit. :rolleyes: They take all your money upfront (if within 2 weeks of arrival), so not sure how our 'freebie' voucher is going to work (paid nothing to the CC Bunree site, yet). Oh yes and they don't have availability calendars. Don't you just hate it when you plug in permutation after permutation to try and satisfy the available criteria, and it keeps saying nope!
I bet it's cos my name' s not 'Jim' :ROFLMAO:

We're off up to Scotland in May and staying at Bunree, have you stayed there before?

Deleted User
We joined both when got first MH last June, found most of the CC sites were miles away from anywhere and more suited to caravans as we have three dogs public transport a no go. Don't think would join again when runs out end May, may in future only if want to visit York of Brighton. C&cc we have only used once at loch Lomond, really enjoyed it for New Year, booked via phone last min and didn't pay anything up front. Both allow dogs for free which is a bonus. I would say don't join either until you specifically want to use a site and join early in the month as membership ends last day of previous month. We will loose 3 weeks because we joined late in June. They both offer deals on insurance etc, but when I got quotes neither for us were better than safeguard. This may be different if you are older. We are 40's. Can't use Tesco vouchers when booking tunnel with either, so again never used there ferry/tunnel offers either.
Both offer clean well equipped sites. You know the standard you will be getting. Overall though we have preferred independent sites we have sourced ourselves. :)

Lin

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
We are in cc and c but will not be rejoining this year
It's starting to get expensive and the web site is so crap
So possibly non for us this year for first time in 10 years

kcy

Free Member
Nov 7, 2013
east yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chausson flash
Exp
since 2012
We are in cc and c but will not be rejoining this year
It's starting to get expensive and the web site is so crap
So possibly non for us this year for first time in 10 years
And the mags are mostly rubbish, don't get read and pile up just in case, then go in the recycle bin

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back