PLease Help: Insurance for a 6 month + trip (1 Viewer)

M

marionheck

Deleted User
HI there,

New here. I am off to go to france for around 6 months and having rung the people i insure my van with (merc Vito) they will not insure me for longer than 3 weeks.

So can any one suggest any insurance companies that will insure me for 6 months in europe.

Many thanks

Dave

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Safeguard insure our RV for 360 days a year abroad if needed inclusive in the price. We tend to go abroad for 3 months at a time no problems at all and includes full European Breakdown Recovery.
Shop around.
Good Luck :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
M

marionheck

Deleted User
Just tried a few more and one of them recommended that i use the normal green card cover of 3 months which normal insurers offer - then cover the remaining time with a french insurance company when over there.

Any one tried this - is it possible to insure a UK vehicule registered in the UK in france?

this is turning out to be a bit of a nightmare!

Many thanks

Dave

OP
OP
M

marionheck

Deleted User
safeguard said they will not insure me as they only do 90 days... a bit strange.

has anyone tried taking the three months with one company then going to another company and thakign there three months?

Cheers

Dave

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Just tried a few more and one of them recommended that i use the normal green card cover of 3 months which normal insurers offer - then cover the remaining time with a french insurance company when over there.

Any one tried this - is it possible to insure a UK vehicule registered in the UK in france?

this is turning out to be a bit of a nightmare!

Many thanks

Dave

Hi!

Send me a PM with your details (name of insurance, the car you have..etc.. )and i'll check that for you, with insurance companies

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
NFU will give 365 cover all EU countries , outside EU are quoted extra.

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Insurance in France

Hi!

Marionheck, i phoned to different insurance companies. I had only negative replies except for one (one of the most important on french territory). The lady told me that she would check all details to be sure she would give a proper answer. So, she's going to phone back, tonight or tomorrow morning . She said as well that she would answer to all the funsters 's questions. So this is the right moment to ask .

Marionheck, will you have a civil responsability insurance while in france? And what about your motorhome insurance? Are the cars you want to insure supposed to travel in the motorhome? Or is someone going to drive one of them? Are you coming only with the cars and no motorhome?and so 2 cars drivers and no motorhome? Is the french address yours or someonelse's address?
I don't need all the replies just now, as she told me , once i have all the answers to all her questions ,i'll have to call her back and then she'll be able to say if it's possible and the price of it.
BTW are you in a hurry?

Amicalement

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Checked my Safeguard policy all I have to do if away for more than 3 months is inform them as I've done in the past and I'm covered. Vehicle must be UK based UK taxed and MOT'd mind you I'm over 50 so it might be an age thing. Good Luck it'll be worth once you're on your way.

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
I'm afraid it won't be possible for you to have a french insurance while in France . The answers are all the same: as long as your you have an english registration you can't subscribe for your car/camping car.
The "MAIF" proposes you in case you need one a "responsabilité civile" warranty.
That's all they can do for you.

Amicalement

neilmac

Free Member
Nov 24, 2008
UK, France & Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2nd year
Being new to this I recently spoke to many insurance brokers and got varying responses. Our best premium and length of European cover (365 days) was with Coversure Link Removed. I spoke to Tony there and he was very helpful and enthusiastic.

Best of luck

Neil

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back