chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Just ordered the Motorola g second generation 5inch android phone from Tesco. 8mp camera, Bluetooth, wifi etc but more importantly its dual sim so runs two networks together and a reasonable £139-00.
Got the old one, love it

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
why 2 sims?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
why 2 sims?
Use on 2 different networks -could be as simple as no signal on one but got one on another -saves messing around changing sims -There could of course be other reasons -one phone but 2 sims 1 work1 home/personal
terry

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
why 2 sims?

1. Toggle (Uk) people that phone my UK number only pay for connecting to a mobile in the UK no matter where I am and I don't pay to receive the call, I on the other hand can phone the UK from, for instance Spain and only pay 3p per minute. Second phone number on Toggle sim (ie European number) £5 per year.

2. I have a Spanish sim, of course to use in Spain to phone Spanish numbers.

3. I bought the Swees phone (about £60/70 off Ebay) and it does all that I want or need.

4. Simples!! :D

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Just thought that I would chuck this in, You must remember that when you say "Chinese phones" I guess most of the " Named, I cost cartloads of money phones" could well be made in China. But if you must buy a Wonderful, I don't know how I lived without it phone....Then go for it(y):D:whistle:

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
I looked at a Lenovo last night-what's this 'Root' thingy ? It said to make sure it was compatible with your Sim-if in doubt how to check,contact them ? what's that all about ? Should you buy one without a Root or what ?

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Lenovo are the biggest manufacturer of smart phone/computer stuff in the world making phones for almost all the big brands at factory's all over the world -THEY bought out the AMERICAN giant IBM about 10 yrs ago and after making components for others decided to launch their own brand Lenovo which has all of the upto date tech stuff at a good price -they also make the cheaper stuff ;)as well as top end -pays your money etc-I hope the one I ordered finds it ROOT to my home
terry

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Lenovo are the biggest manufacturer of smart phone/computer stuff in the world making phones for almost all the big brands at factory's all over the world -THEY bought out the AMERICAN giant IBM about 10 yrs ago and after making components for others decided to launch their own brand Lenovo which has all of the upto date tech stuff at a good price -they also make the cheaper stuff ;)as well as top end -pays your money etc-I hope the one I ordered finds it ROOT to my home
terry

But what is this 'rooted' or 'not rooted' stuff ?

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
And why are 6 inch ones dead dear and 7inch for nowt

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Rooting.

When I bought my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 and 4 phones they came with a load of apps that are bundled in with your phone software and you can't get rid of them... stuff like Facebook and Twitter and piles of other stuff they want you to try out.

These take up space in your device.

As I inderstand it, if you "root" your phone, you basically hack into your own phone's system so you can take control of it and get rid of all this "stuff" or you can move programmes from the device's storage to the SD card to free up memory.

They don't want you to do this and so if you do, they void your warranty.

I believe you have to be wearing a baseball cap the wrong way around and say "innit" a lot to be able to do this.

Apart from getting my Note 2 unlocked I haven't bothered... yet.

JJ :cool:

Rocles

Free Member
Oct 10, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Chinese phones CAN be excellent...but.....they vary tremendously. I have two, one is excellent (a 5 inch "GT i9500") , in fact I would use it as main phone, except the camera is really bad. That is its only fault, otherwise its great...comes with two batteries and a case as standard. The other chinese phone is a 4.3 inch...and its really poor. Touchscreen wont respond properly, appaling camera, etc. They were both cheap, £45 and £65. Trouble is, even a particular brand name is not a guarantee, as they clone each other's designs, and you may get a cheap copy rather than the actual brand ! I personally would pay a little bit more to a chinese phone from a UK supplier, as at least he should have done his homework, and its easier to return if required.

Rooting basically gives access to a hidden part of your phone, and enables lots of the more interesting Android apps to run. It gives you what they call Superuser access, and as stated above, allows apps to be moved to the SD card, and enables the truly excellent ES File Explorer to run as its intended.

Rooted phones can also have any version of Android installed using one of the many fantastic Custom Roms (a custom rom is a modified / improved version of Android)....basically, the sky's the limit with a custom rom, and they have all of the useless manufacturer-added junk removed.

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
in a nutshell - it means enabling a level of access in the android system that will allow the user to mess about with things in the OS that non rooted wouldnt allow access to

It also means that apps that are downloaded can also gain a much greater level of access to your system too, unless you are very careful and check everything that goes on the phone...it is not something to be done lightly as it removes massive security features of android

and because of that, there is no way in this world that I would by a phone from China(or anywhere for that matter) which comes pre rooted..

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
7 inches is hard to put in your pocket :D and you look a plonker walking down the street with it.(y)
Agree with that , but as I said earlier ,I am looking for a tablet to use in France more than a phone, but the phone and duel sim is a bonus, as I don't want to keep changing sims out of my phone and don't use the phone much anyway, but saying that have you noticed how many people now carry iPads about with them.
But the 7 inch ones on eBay look abit toyish , no good cameras very short battery life but down to thirty quid with duel sim.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

Root is permission to access the innermost layer of software and potentially kill your phone. Root of a tree. You normally only get to play with the branches but those annoying apps you don't want but can't delete, that needs root permission to zap them.

If "rooted" you become "Super User" and if as SU you delete a file needed for the phone to work then you have a dead phone, this is why most phones are not rooted.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
7 inches is hard to put in your pocket :D and you look a plonker walking down the street with it.(y)

You would be surprised..I have a 6 inch Acer Liquid S2 and case makes it a bit bulky. But have often gone out on bike thinking I have forgotten it only to find it in my jeans front pocket.......

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
You would be surprised..I have a 6 inch Acer Liquid S2 and case makes it a bit bulky. But have often gone out on bike thinking I have forgotten it only to find it in my jeans front pocket.......

Spose if you are used to only 6 inches that could happen;):)

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Terry,

I was looking at the lenovo but was worried that the network bands were wrong for europe. I then found this lenovo site which the comments seemed to confirm my fears. http://www.2lenovo.com/lenovo-golde...gb-rom-5-0-inch-hd-screen-td-scdma-black.html
It appears that some are saying it only works 2g in europe.

Let us know how you get on when you receive it.

John
Will do (y) my mates works on 3/4g so I am hoping this will :) If not then all the tec stuff is way over my understanding so I would/will get another mate to look at that for me or get rid :DAll I basically need/want is to make calls and surf i-net take odd pic -- Both the THL AND CUBOT P6 do this good -the camera on the P6 is not brill when looking on the phone screen but when sent to comp the pics are a lot better (y)and when the same pics is viewed on the THL it's also good so I assume the screen res is a lot better on the THL as is the CUBOT P7 but I only had that about 3 weeks so did not get to learn how to drive it properly:LOL: only long enough to know the battery did not last half as long as the P6 ---on the above posts I changed P6 to X6 I now have the box in front of me and it's P6 :D

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Terry,

Doing a bit of further investigation I have found that there are at least 3 variants of the lenovo A8,

The A8 808t it would appear is a China only version which will only wor 2g here.
The A8 806 is a Europe version and works on 3g & 4g here with a 5" screen
The A8 916 is a Europe version working on 3g & 4g with a 5.5" screen.

From your link it would seem that you have ordered the first one i.e. China version.

John

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Terry,

Doing a bit of further investigation I have found that there are at least 3 variants of the lenovo A8,

The A8 808t it would appear is a China only version which will only wor 2g here.
The A8 806 is a Europe version and works on 3g & 4g here with a 5" screen
The A8 916 is a Europe version working on 3g & 4g with a 5.5" screen.

From your link it would seem that you have ordered the first one i.e. China version.

John
:eek::cry::cry::cry::(:(just my luck - bet my mate just found what he thought was the right one and gave me the link or the supplier realized and sent him the correct phone :oops:

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
The more I read,the more confused I become :) It seems the 916 is dual sim,but single sim standby.Phone has to be rebooted to change sim.

Nov 2, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC, S&L Iveco
Exp
45 years
The more I read,the more confused I become :) It seems the 916 is dual sim,but single sim standby.Phone has to be rebooted to change sim.
That does not sound a great idea, the Motorola runs both sims at the same time and you or it decides which one to use for what and accepts incoming calls from both (or so I am led to believe).

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
That does not sound a great idea, the Motorola runs both sims at the same time and you or it decides which one to use for what and accepts incoming calls from both (or so I am led to believe).
I'm looking at the Motorola as we speak-it's dearest so far,but,does seem to be high spec,and,bought from carphone warehouse should be no probs with after care.

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I have the moto g , Julie has the moto e both excellent depending what you need the cheaper e is better value , not as good camera and no facing camera but you can put a memory card in which you can't in mine.

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
The Moto G (2014) does have a good spec and has good reviews. The only reason we discounted it when SWMBO changed her phone recently is that it does not work with 4g. She decided on the Sony Xperia M2 instead.

John

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back