Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Yes I've got Michelin Agilis on the front on mine & the noise is unbelievable. Nearly as loud as the engine ! :cry:
Just changed the back two as although there was no cracking ,good tread & they'd just travelled 11000kms to Uk ,Around & back , the dates on them were 2002.:LOL:
That is very strange as I cannot hear mine and my engine is relatively quiet. At 70db they are one of the less noisy tyres.

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
We have Maxxis 7.5 te tyres on a 3.5 te m/home. Superb! No sign of wear either on treads or walls, grip like glued to road and NO road noise!!!

Apr 21, 2009
East Cowes, PO32 6RU
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Caravan since 1970, motorhome or RV since 1999 then back to a caravan in 2017.
Although you are in Scotland and he is in Oswestry it would be worth having a chat with Brian (brianjojosh) on here and RVOC - what he does not know about tyres you do not need to know and he arranges delivery and fitting for you if needed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
JohnM

JohnM

Free Member
Nov 8, 2008
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
CClass
Exp
Since Feb 2009 and 40yrs c/vaning
Although you are in Scotland and he is in Oswestry it would be worth having a chat with Brian (brianjojosh) on here and RVOC - what he does not know about tyres you do not need to know and he arranges delivery and fitting for you if needed.
Just got a pm from Brian & Jo who are tyre dealers in Oswestry. Very useful conversation with good advice and prices.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I just went to a local dealer.. I was gonna refit the Mich's but he could not get them at the time.
He did some digging.. came back with the Hankooks as an option.
I said as long as they have the correct weight rating go for it.
He got them in, I took a look, checked on the specs and that was that.
Sorry to say I have slept since then and really cannot remember what type they were other than they were indeed correct.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Had Vanco Campers on ours, noisy, harsh ride and useless on wet grass or mud, fitted Toyo HO9 M&S, two years ago, no complaints whatsoever and keep them on all year round. As long as you go for the correct size and load index, I can't see a problem.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We've just bought a brand new set of 5 Fiat wheels fitted with Bridgestone Duravis tyres which have been taken off a MH as it is having some alloys fitted ... they're from a well know 'quality' British converter who had put them on Ebay ... total cost: £390 (collection only). We're gonna go pick them up this week and put one of them along with our existing spare (unused) on our front axle, keeping the best removed one as our spare (as they've still got at least 5k miles of tread on them) so we'll be in good stead (or tread!) for our Spanish trip next month.

We'll be keeping 2 of the others too though to put on the rear when needed, probably sometime next year, as they haven't worn as much as the front drive wheels. We haven't decided what to do with the others yet, or the part worn one from the front axle ... :)

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
My past 4 work vans have always been permanently fully laden and never needed camper tyres!
Yes but not parked up more than they're driven I suspect.

Interestingly all the CEF delivery vans that serviced me last year had Conti campers on

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Yes but not parked up more than they're driven I suspect.

I book on average 3 1/2 hours travel a day.

That means my vans are static for 20 1/2 hours a day.
Of course they have been static for 26 days holiday, six bank holidays and weekends!

Still not needed camper tyres!

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I book on average 3 1/2 hours travel a day.

That means my vans are static for 20 1/2 hours a day.
Of course they have been static for 26 days holiday, six bank holidays and weekends!

Still not needed camper tyres!
But driven on a regular basis all year round not parked for weeks on end like motorhomes

ASel

Free Member
Oct 23, 2013
Gretna
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
After 7 years we have just replaced the 4 rear tyres on our Concorde MH, worn out no sign of sidewall damage or cracking. This weighs 6.5 t and is used for approx 100 days a year. The tyres were standard Pirelli and have been replaced with Goodyear.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Like Philip (JeanLuc), our Hymer wasn't factory fitted with camper tyres. It was fitted with 6 x Goodyear Cargos, ie, commercial van tyres.

Hymer's owner handbook clearly shows the pressures and sizes for van tyres and camper tyres, for both the Fiat/Alko and Mercedes chassis.

The current set up is Barum Vanis on the rear axles with Bridgestone Blizzak winter tyres on the front driving wheels, all year round. Load index figures are the same or higher than the original tyres fitted.
It's not seen a camper tyre during it's sixteen year life.

Regards,

Jock.

Shovelheadrob

Free Member
Jul 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
Soon to be 5th wheeler
Exp
On & off for 20 years
For what it's worth & no one will believe me anyway, biggest problem for tyres is UV degradation when left parked, I've experienced this first hand with an occasionally used trailer, the tyres that were on the side of the trailer which was most exposed to the sun suffered from severe cracking whilst the other side was fine, I used to crew on some seriously high horsepower drag racing cars & the tyres are stored in cool areas out of direct sunlight when not in use, why do you think that tyre shades are sold? They are not magic beans.
As to the OP not many tyre companies do motorhome specific tyres so I would be quite happy using a quality van tyre with the appropriate load rating, rotate the tyres every service to even out the wear & use some shades/covers to keep the sun off them, job done. I have a RWD Transit 350 for work, I've just had 4 new tyres after 60,000 miles (Continentals) I don't think that's bad considering that most of the time it's not far off GVW & 25% of the time towing.

Bulawayo Lass

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
Mud Island, nr Mudchester
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
long (with Brian) short (alone) medium (with Andy)
At the risk of having my head bitten off..... Haven't done loads of miles in CB but it is creeping up. He has original tyres 07 new. So far all ok on checks but l have been thinking reading posts everywhere they would be between £300 and £500/tyre. Reading the actual cost here has had me breathing a sigh of relief. I hope to get at least another year out as have some big expenses this year.

Feb 1, 2011
Redcar
Funster No
MH
Hymer C. Class
Exp
26 yrs
I go along with 'Jaws' I was always a 'Mitch' man but had Hancook on now for 6 mths, brilliant. They have made the ride as a new van, Quiet no 'Stott' a pleasure to drive. Had them back for a check over, verdict !As New! We have had 'Campers' for 20 yrs with many different Tyres, these are the best, They were recommended by a AA Rep.
Best Regards Mac

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
For what it's worth & no one will believe me anyway, biggest problem for tyres is UV degradation when left parked
Well I for one DO believe you ... (y)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Do you also believe in fairies and Father Christmas ?
Funnily enough there's an excellent and (surprisingly perhaps) honest article about tyres by one of the major manufacturers in this months MMM. It said that the design of camping tyres (as opposed to commercial tyres) is nothing to do with load rating. Tyres are designed to leech a substance that helps prevent UV damage and cracking and they only do this when in regular use. Camper tyres are designed with more of the substance to improve protection because they have longer periods of inactivity. The writer was also unwilling to recommend a life for tyres. He suggested that with regular checks for sidewall cracking they could easily exceed 5 or 7 years.

Worth a read.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
You can't get camper tyres for a dual wheel RWD transit.

We're going to die!!!!!!
No you can't get wheeltrims either now, the only source went bust. pity the wheels look c++p.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back