Free Member
Nov 8, 2008
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
CClass
Exp
Since Feb 2009 and 40yrs c/vaning
I need 6 new tyres for my hobby at a cost of around £1000 ouch,i would like your opinion on whether light van tyres of the same spec would do the same job?.What do you think.
JohnM.

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
Personally, I'd always go for camper specific tyres. I've been thankful that I have always made this choice after a few sticky situations.

Also, check if there is any stipulation on your insurance about keeping to the same tyre type as originally supplied - or whatever.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Why buy all 6 at once? they don't all wear out at the same rate.

What size are they?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Light van tyres won't be the same spec.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that as motorhomes/campers tend to be standing for long periods camper tyres have much stronger sidewalls to cope with this.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
The biggest 16" michelin is under £130 just now, the poor euro always helps prices

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
If they are recommended fitment by the motorhome makers - yes.

But I would not else. You may well have problems with your insurer in the event of an accident.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Tyres are tyres. They couldn't be sold if they were dangerous.

If they are designed for the weight then they are OK.

Too many internet myths and scaremongering.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Tyres are tyres. They couldn't be sold if they were dangerous.

If they are designed for the weight then they are OK.

Too many internet myths and scaremongering.
Van tyres are designed for being used every day of their life NOT being parked up weeks at a time.

That is why they are sold as COMMERCIAL tyres. It's not a case of being unsafe rather than fit for purpose

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

Andy Tooley

Free Member
Aug 8, 2013
England
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Go on the Michelin website and read what they advise regarding M/H tyres. Very interesting and informative. That should make up your mind about the correct tyres to fit to your pride and joy.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Van tyres are designed for being used every day of their life NOT being parked up weeks at a time.

That is why they are sold as COMMERCIAL tyres. It's not a case of being unsafe rather than fit for purpose
so if a van broke down for a few months it would need new tyres ?
Rubbish LOL.

I've been around the racing scene for 30 years and hear the same old shit about tyres.

They are all round and black and quite good.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Said it before.. Check out the Hancook ones. We could not believe the difference in noise levels and grip when I swapped them on The Miller ( 4.1t plated )
Last year Darrell ( Nemo ) fitted a pair on his Bessacar ( 3.8t ) and had the same results..

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
so if a van broke down for a few months it would need new tyres ?
Rubbish LOL.

I've been around the racing scene for 30 years and hear the same old shit about tyres.

They are all round and black and quite good.

Vans don't sit around fully laden. your opinion is your opinion and I'm sure the OP will consider it. :ROFLMAO:
Most commercial vans will go through a new set of tyres annually or maybe two years. A motorhome will be stood around a long time in 5 yrs and more on the same tyres

Last edited:
OP
OP
JohnM

JohnM

Free Member
Nov 8, 2008
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
CClass
Exp
Since Feb 2009 and 40yrs c/vaning

Deleted User
Hi John M. What weight is your Hobby and what is the load rating of your existing tyres. Most van tyres are rated at 113/115. My Rapido is weighted at 3850k and the tyres (continental four seasons)have a load rating of 119/121 and I would'nt accept anything less. Would you risk your lives for the sake of a few pounds.

spongy

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Vans don't sit around fully laden. your opinion is your opinion and I'm sure the OP will consider it. :ROFLMAO:
Most commercial vans will go through a new set of tyres annually or maybe two years. A motorhome will be stood around a long time in 5 yrs and more on the same tyres
Tyres don't die in 5 years.

if they did it would be illegal to sell them!

The myths are there to sell more tyres.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Thanks Andy did have a look there but these prices dont include fitting.
£18 delivery fitting is usually around £10 each
So about £840 not a grand.
I did mine in pairs to spead the cost 6 months apart

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I don't use camper tyres - in fact there are very few made in the specification I require. The vehicle came originally from Hymer with the tyres that it left the Mercedes factory with - Continental Vanco 225 70 R15 C 112/110. When the first set was getting jaded, I replaced with Conti Vanco 2 (the replacement model) and I have just had a set of Conti Vanco Winter 2 fitted. I shall use the winter tyres (M&S marked) all year round. I spoke to Continental's technical department and they said the Winter tyres were perfectly suitable for year-round use on a motorhome although the wear might be a little faster in summer than all season tyres - hardly a problem with a motorhome.
I understand the principle of using camper tyres with a stiffer side wall, but if you use your motorhome most of the time it should not suffer from 'lay-up fatigue'. It is not as though many British vans sit for weeks or months on end with the tyres in blistering sun light, which causes cracking!
For the record, I have never seen any signs of side-wall cracking in my tyres and Continental confirmed that a tyre should last longer than five years if cared for properly. They would not recommend trying to stretch them out to ten years, but did not see a problem with a seven-year life provided there was no sign of damage or cracking.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Yes quite especially if it's a PVC for example. Many people use them as their sole transport.
Regardless of the different arguements the yes & no camps are the same every time these threads start and there are as many as gassing threads.
My first van had only done 8 k in 6yrs with three owners and the tyres were knackered from being parked for months on end AND they were camping tyres too

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
Said it before.. Check out the Hancook ones. We could not believe the difference in noise levels and grip when I swapped them on The Miller ( 4.1t plated )
Last year Darrell ( Nemo ) fitted a pair on his Bessacar ( 3.8t ) and had the same results..
I had 6 Hankooks fitted on my ford transit last year by Event tyres for about £580 .....would recommend them ....they don't make camper tyres to fit my Ford transit

PORKSTER

Free Member
Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
Not getting into the argument but a friend of mine saved £180 on a set of car tyres from Asda. The place that was cheapest before the Asda quote supplied and fitted them. I'm not 100% sure it may have been Halfrauds that supplied and fitted them. With voucher fro Asda the other local firms couldn't get close.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Yes I've got Michelin Agilis on the front on mine & the noise is unbelievable. Nearly as loud as the engine ! :cry:
Just changed the back two as although there was no cracking ,good tread & they'd just travelled 11000kms to Uk ,Around & back , the dates on them were 2002.:LOL:

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Nobody has mentioned how the o/p will use their van ?

If doing 20k a year, perhaps regular van tyres will be fine.
If only doing 5k in the next few years, then camper tyres might be the best bet.

Would always go for m & s marked tyres though, seems to be the most sensible option for all situations.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back