DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
What about later in the year for those who don't camp in winter?

nice idea but much less chance of Northern Light sighting later in the year

But what do you reckon to this place though, it was our favourite CL south west Scotland, no longer a CL I wondered about trying to book it for a meet, room for about 15 MH's on beach side, tap and dump facilities (y)

007.JPG
006.JPG
002.JPG

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Wow..... Beautiful in a really strange way isn't it.. Natural and powerful. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
nice idea but much less chance of Northern Light sighting later in the year

But what do you reckon to this place though, it was our favourite CL south west Scotland, no longer a CL I wondered about trying to book it for a meet, room for about 15 MH's on beach side, tap and dump facilities (y)

View attachment 49229 View attachment 49230 View attachment 49231
Hi David that looks great. I'm up for Christmas and New Year do you have the contact details for that site please, it looks great

Eddie

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Hi David that looks great. I'm up for Christmas and New Year do you have the contact details for that site please, it looks great

Eddie

It 'was' a CC CL listed under Gatehouse of Fleet, Dumfries and Galloway, Newton Farm, Mrs Hamilton died and I have been told it is no longer a CL, worth a try though (y)

Only go there if you need nothing, take food etc. it is nearly a mile from the road and a good 5 miles to any shops

Happy memories, we have stayed there in summer heat, winter frosts even a bit of snow and had our wheels wetted by storm waves that came a lot higher than we predicted :D

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Probably stop at Strathclyde Saturday night followed by 6 nights at destination, it's looking nailed on just now.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Probably stop at Strathclyde Saturday night followed by 6 nights at destination, it's looking nailed on just now.

Thanks for the map Andy, we vary route from M74 to A68, didn't realise just how close the distance were to each other (bit shorter on A68 but not a lot, loads quicker via M74 though

It will be light virtually all night at the end of May and a lot busier, but this is all relative (y)

You should be OK with midges out on the coast, but they seem to come out of hibernation on 1st June

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Top tip. If you ever want a map just type in your browser address bar ( postcode to postcode ) and the options as illustrated will come up as a google map

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I've just booked for 23rd May en route Blair Drummond
Sango%20Bay-X2.jpg

Last edited:

AuldCodger

Free Member
Nov 25, 2009
?
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
A lovely spot up there, several years ago it was the closest we ever came to being concerned that the m/home may actually blow over. When a gale blows boy it is something else.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
It's just been on the radio that there are sustained gusts (no I don't know what that means) of 102mph.

Not sure it's that bad here but we do have snow:(

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
We will be off to Kinlochbervie late May early June next year so if any Funsters are about we will pop in and share a drink with you.
We visited this year but I wouldn't fancy that drive in the middle of winter. Its not just the snow and ice, its the high winds as well.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I think I would not want to be there tonight. Bit rough?

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
We'de be up for it David, do we have to book the site direct

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
Directions.png
I mark all of the palces I want to go to on Google Earth and this is on the list of places to go to but need a van first and to be honest, probably wouldn't go in January though.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
We'de be up for it David, do we have to book the site direct

The site at Durness has about 40 electric points, we have done this twice in winter now, never seen more than 4 people there, we wont be booking

Even Grantown on Spey a CC site only had about 12 on it, that's a lovely place as well, with possibly the best (certainly warmest) toilet block I have ever used

Lets hope the weather allows us to go ahead, pretty good chance it will (y)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
View attachment 49434 I mark all of the palces I want to go to on Google Earth and this is on the list of places to go to but need a van first and to be honest, probably wouldn't go in January though.

when I first read your post I presumed you had put Aberdeen on your to do list, now see you live there

one of my biggest surprises in Scotland was arriving in Aberdeen from Braemar and finding so much sand, we had heard about the granite city and I had presumed it was not just the buildings

I envy your location, we love all of Scotlland and have such a long journey just to get to the border, the borders are lovely, but the further north and mainly west we go the more we like it :)

edit - as for going in January, I reckon it will be warmer in Durness than Aberdeen in January

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
when I first read your post I presumed you had put Aberdeen on your to do list, now see you live there

one of my biggest surprises in Scotland was arriving in Aberdeen from Braemar and finding so much sand, we had heard about the granite city and I had presumed it was not just the buildings

I envy your location, we love all of Scotlland and have such a long journey just to get to the border, the borders are lovely, but the further north and mainly west we go the more we like it :)

edit - as for going in January, I reckon it will be warmer in Durness than Aberdeen in January

Yip, a lot of places are warmer than Aberdeen in January. We sometimes have to put the heating on or wear a jumper especially when it gets to around -10 :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:. We are so lucky having the beach on our doorstep and a 30 minute drive takes us to some beautiful scenery.

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Well I keep chipping away at Les:) It occurred to me that if do join you we haven't any external screens:LOL:, they were on our list.

However, Les has spoken to Van Comfort this afternoon - we are booked in next Thursday morning - and we will come away with them.:clap2:

I wasn't sure how long they would take as I didn't think there were that many Adria Visions(y)

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
Being on the north coast and watching for the Northern Lights certainly appeals to me (cheaper than Norway, but not as reliable). I've had to cancel my pre-Xmas trip to see my Dad & Brother in Teesside, so a post-Xmas trip there is certainly on the cards.

However, what happens if we get "snowed in" for a fortnight? Is there a food shop in the vicinity or do I need to stock up on Fray Bentos tinned pies, tinned curry and tinned ham, to go with the tins of baked beans and mushy peas? Thank goodness for part-baked rolls and a van with an oven :D.

Looking on the sat nav it's 670 miles to Durness and 770 miles to Barcelona: decisions, decisions! - Gordon

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Being on the north coast and watching for the Northern Lights certainly appeals to me (cheaper than Norway, but not as reliable). I've had to cancel my pre-Xmas trip to see my Dad & Brother in Teesside, so a post-Xmas trip there is certainly on the cards.

However, what happens if we get "snowed in" for a fortnight? Is there a food shop in the vicinity or do I need to stock up on Fray Bentos tinned pies, tinned curry and tinned ham, to go with the tins of baked beans and mushy peas? Thank goodness for part-baked rolls and a van with an oven :D.

Looking on the sat nav it's 670 miles to Durness and 770 miles to Barcelona: decisions, decisions! - Gordon
Ah but you can bet Durness will be more of an adventure:D

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Well I keep chipping away at Les:) It occurred to me that if do join you we haven't any external screens:LOL:, they were on our list.

However, Les has spoken to Van Comfort this afternoon - we are booked in next Thursday morning - and we will come away with them.:clap2:

I wasn't sure how long they would take as I didn't think there were that many Adria Visions(y)

Hello Debs, we don't have external screens, IMO too much hassle, just bought a Karcher for condensation :D

I will be interested to monitor your condensation though, I could be tempted

I am chipping away at Bev to stay a bit longer as well, but when I opened Google maps last to review the route it came up with a public transport option, so I could always pop her on a bus in Durness, then train from Lairg, only 9 hours she will be home (y)

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Hello Debs, we don't have external screens, IMO too much hassle, just bought a Karcher for condensation :D

I will be interested to monitor your condensation though, I could be tempted

I am chipping away at Bev to stay a bit longer as well, but when I opened Google maps last to review the route it came up with a public transport option, so I could always pop her on a bus in Durness, then train from Lairg, only 9 hours she will be home (y)
:LOL: We haven't had alot of condensation tbh - just stops you being nosey as you can't see what's going on:LOL:. Not sure if the karcher has a problem, it's started 'running on' after you turn it off :(

It was more for the cold - not impressed with the heating so far but then only run on elec.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough

It is a long way, even for us from Derbyshire, you need to do both at some point in your life, we have done both already, for me I would rather be cold in Scotland than cold in Spain, save Barcelona for spring :D

as for stuck in, bring it on, there is a pub attached to the site which is open all year (I will confirm that for next Jan, but it always has been) that serves food, a small Coop 200yds away, will do for a few days. But being on the coast I doubt it will ever get badly affected and with so few roads I reckon they will be kept clear, but a few enforced extra days sound good to me

Northern Lights would be a nice extra, not seen them yet, but worth a go it is the right time of year, really not very likely though. I plan to drive up to Tromso next September or maybe 2016, I have heard September is just about the best month of the year, I always thought it was Jan / Feb

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
If it helps the decision making process, I reckon you told the sat nav to start from the French side of the channel when plotting the Barcelona route. Think it might be a bit further from mid-Norfolk. :)

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
For me it's only 20 minutes more to Trier