anybody else as daft as us (1 Viewer)

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
If it helps the decision making process, I reckon you told the sat nav to start from the French side of the channel when plotting the Barcelona route. Think it might be a bit further from mid-Norfolk. :)

YES I think it was a case of looking after my ill grandson and recovering from a 5mile walk to the garage and back in order to spend ÂŁ220 on an electrical problem :whistle:

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Looks like we are setting off early, going to Grantown on Spey CC site for New Year, just hope I can stay awake till midnight and that it snows on 31st Dec

Then on to Durness from there on the 3rd Jan or so

Lifes good, who needs the sun :)

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
So how long are you planning on staying at Grantown?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
So how long are you planning on staying at Grantown?

we are thinking of getting there on the 30th Dec, moving north to Durness on the 3rd Jan or so, weather and mood dependent

Mood will mainly be Bevs she really does not fancy Durness in January

Or to be more brutal, she doesn't fancy being cooped up in a 8m MH with me for longer than about 12 hours :D

it is scenic in Durness, but after you have done Smoo Cave and the 'craft centre' which gets smaller each year, it is pretty dead, but the views are brilliant and the drive there is amazing (y)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Grantown fully booked through New Year, not surprising really, possibility of cancelations, more so if weather turns colder

So still in need of somewhere to go en route to Durness, borders maybe, been following the @irnbru thread, looks Scotland will be full

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
Just catching up on this one, that was our major run this Summer top two corners Cape Wrath, John o'Groats. and golfing spots in between !!
To visit Cape Wrath this season(2014) It was a ÂŁ37.oo for two, return, cost for the wee ferry crossing and the 22 mile round trip to the light house. The "banditos" did try at making the trip amusing, with laid back west coast commentary.

Durness.JPG

Durness

Cape wrath.JPG

Self explanatory

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Hi David. I think we are going to cry off this one - now that the cold weather has hit us, we really don't fancy doing a long long trip that far from home.

Sorry to be cowardy custards, but hopefully we can do the trip later in the year.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Cant say I blame you Ger, we had 6" of snow on and round our MH on Friday, most of it is still there

We are going up after the New Year rush now, weather for the north looks pretty rough for this week anyway, if the snow goes they are forecast heavy rain (poss snow) and gale force winds

Will set off now on 7th Jan as originally planned, Scotland seemed to pretty much 'full' when we tried to find a site for New Year, Grantown did call me back with a cancellation, but didn't fancy digging MH out

Have a good New Year and we hope to see a good few of you during the coming year (n):)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Hi David. I think we are going to cry off this one - now that the cold weather has hit us, we really don't fancy doing a long long trip that far from home.

Sorry to be cowardy custards, but hopefully we can do the trip later in the year.

Morning Ger

I didn't like this because you are not coming, just so you knew I had seen it :)

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I think we are going to cry off this one - now that the cold weather has hit us
Same here I'm afraid David, we've ended up agreeing to stay with my dad in Yorkshire an extra week due to the weather. Sorry to miss it. Maybe next year we'll plan it earlier & start out mid-November!!!
It was a lovely idea though...

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
We're just jumping on the band wagon as well and saying now that we're not going to attempt it :crying:
Combination of weather, not enough experience in the van over winter and Les being really poorly still :(

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I never expected anybody else to even fancy it anyway, I will report back on our travels, including digging MH out of the snow still I expect, no sign of it going on its own

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
I never expected anybody else to even fancy it anyway, I will report back on our travels, including digging MH out of the snow still I expect, no sign of it going on its own
....we've been out for the first time today in the car since the snow arrived, but took some digging out so wouldn't fancy digging the mh out:xlaugh:.
We are hoping to go somewhere in the next couple of weeks but I think it will be a bit closer to home, assuming Les doesn't get any worsexroll:x:-)

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
And here is another "wimpy" southerner (by adoption: originally from Durham [but still south of Durness]) who will only be progressing as far north as Teesside (in the car: staying with family in centrally heated houses with all facilities). However, we are pencilling it in as a trip in the autumn.

Happy New Year - Gordon

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
So, David (Happy New Year, btw). Do you have a route and has it been signed off as appropriate?

Always interested trips of this type, we do hope to get there (Durness) after having checked it out but may wait till September this year (2015).

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back