Help needed - Ladder mounted bike rack (1 Viewer)

cazd

Free Member
May 4, 2008
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
New - since August 2008
We're keen to find out the pros and cons of ladder mounted bike racks. We've stumbled upon them by accident via eBay and from the research we've done they appear to be popular with RVs. Does anyone have any experience of using these on a UK/European motorhome? We have a Swift Freestyle 590PR which has a ladder and we think that a ladder mounted bike rack seems like a cost-effective, easy to install option. What's the catch?!

Any opinions will be very much appreciated.

Many thanks
Carol

theresa

Free Member
Mar 9, 2008
near falmouth cornwall
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
15 years
we have a cheap bike rack that fits on the tow hitch from tow sure. we take two bikes to spain on it no probs. it works well and no drilling holes in the van to fit , and the main thing its cheap to buy. all this is no use to you if you don,t have a tow ball.:ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
cazd

cazd

Free Member
May 4, 2008
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
New - since August 2008
I'm afraid we don't have a towbar, wish we did now though!! :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

theresa

Free Member
Mar 9, 2008
near falmouth cornwall
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
15 years
sorry that was not much help to you then. we always have a tow bar fitted it helps if some one hits you up the bum. all the best:Cool:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
We're keen to find out the pros and cons of ladder mounted bike racks. We've stumbled upon them by accident via eBay and from the research we've done they appear to be popular with RVs. Does anyone have any experience of using these on a UK/European motorhome? We have a Swift Freestyle 590PR which has a ladder and we think that a ladder mounted bike rack seems like a cost-effective, easy to install option. What's the catch?!

Any opinions will be very much appreciated.

Many thanks
Carol

I guess my only worry would be the extra weight being applied to the ladder mountings, especially when driving.It's got to be the convenience factor though.

We've got a very substantial Chrysler rack with integral lights that fits to a mounting by the towball.

Delighted with it.Another bargain from ebay.:Cool:

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi Carol

I don't know if you are aware but there are two types, vertical and horizontal ..

Link Removed

Link Removed

I think the horizontal mount would be more user friendly and less likely to damage the bikes.. but depending on where the ladder is mounted the bikes may protrude beyond the edge of the van

The only downside I see is not being able to use the ladder without removing the bikes. Ladder strength shouldn't be an issue, two average bikes weigh around 25kg ..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back