Do you remember Encounter Overland? (1 Viewer)

Dec 31, 2016
southampton
Funster No
MH
Hobby Toskana 750
Exp
Since 2019
This ones worth a go – nothing lost if it drops like a lead balloon!

Does anyone remember a company called Encounter Overland? They were like Dragoman and Exodus, offering overland tours across the globe.

I did the 9 month “Great Overland Encounter” in 1997. It started in London and zipped through France and Spain, before travelling through Morocco, Western Sahara and through the middle of Africa. We heard on shortwave radio that Princess Diana had died when we were in The Congo. Most of the countries are war zones now, but back then we only had to fly over Sudan – the rest of the journey was done in a Bedford Army truck painted blue.

We ended up in Cairo, and from there changed truck and travelled through Jordan, Syria, Turkey and into Iran, before ending up in Katmandu.

As one of our last outings as a group I remember we went to something called an ‘internet café’ and we all set ourselves up with this new invention called an ‘email account’. Before that we had to rely on Poste Restante to collect letters from home.

Some of the others ended up doing a trip around South America – and I mean literally a big loop around it, from Quito and back to Quito. That took 6 months.

The company went pop in 2001, but if anyone does remember it a group of aficionados set up this website:

https://encounteroverland.info/

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back