Your opinions on buying an automatic moho (1 Viewer)

forestfern

Free Member
Jun 11, 2022
New Forest, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
So we’ve been searching for “the one”, having missed a couple of beauties and kicked ourselves for not being sharper off the mark. First time motorhomers here.

Now a perfect rollerteam has come up, apart from the fact that it’s automatic which we weren’t previously considering, it’s not something we’ve ever had.

Is this likely to affect re-saleability or price? Any drawbacks or is it really no big deal? Maybe a great selling point?

Any thoughts welcome, thank you 😊

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
We have 3 automatic cars, my van is automatic but our motorhome, left hand drive fiat is Manual.

We have had ….

Mercedes RHD SprintShift Motorhome, awful and unreliable.
Mercedes RHD Manual, match stick in a bucket gearshift.
Mercedes LHD Torque converter auto, brilliant.

Whilst I prefer an automatic motorhomes, I find driving a left hand drive manual much easier than a right hand drive. But I’m right handed.

Our Spanish registered Audi is RHD manual, that I don’t like. But at up-to 80mpg, averaging 62mpg. I will live with it.

My problem is I broke my calcaneus 8 years ago.?I get really bad artritis and joint pain in my ankle. Sometimes, when I go to depress the clutch, it can be very painful.

Upvote 0
May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
The only reason I can think for wanting a manual is if you do off road camping. The extra control you have for getting off the wet stuff is handy.
That's a significant point. Don't all automatics have traction control? (my car does - and it can't be switched off). Given how easy it is for the drive wheels to slip on wet grass, the engine will cut and you may have to be towed out every time.

Funny no-one has mentioned that Autos use more juice than manual too.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oct 20, 2021
Framlingham, Woodbridge, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 774
Exp
Since 2017
I have the 6 speed motorised manual Comfortomatic. Supposed to last longer than a traditional auto according to Fiat. Had no probs other than when brand new was like having a geriatric Italian sat next to you changing gear… got a lot slicker after a 1000 miles or so as did the engine. Switching to a Swift now with that 9 speed auto which I have in my e class and is a dream, I get 50mpg+ in my car, hoping the new van might return more than the current 25mpg on a run although it is 4.5t against current 3.5t.

Upvote 0

huck999

Free Member
May 30, 2020
Crewe, UK
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Which engine does yours have? I paid for the upgrade to 150 hp after research suggested that this is better suited to the ComfortMatic box. Mine happily holds 6th on all but the steepest hills. Feels very torquey and loosened up after 10,000 miles of running-in.
Ours is a 2.3 130bhp chipped to about 160bhp. The difference in comfort is like night and day. The gearbox no longer hunts for gears and, as you say, happily stays in 6th (and cruise control)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Oct 8, 2016
Tunbridge Wells
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
I'm a newbie
I’ve driven both. My own motorhome is manual 6 speed but I would have been interested in an automatic were it available. My company’s fleet of Merc Vito’s regularly do 300k and I’ve never heard yet of “Minibus off the road whilst it’s gearbox is fixed”. It’s certainly a more leisurely drive so if you’ve found a nice motorhome and it’s automatic then suggest you give it a test drive. As others have said “we wouldn’t go back”, I absolutely understand where they’re coming from.

Upvote 0

ROCHESB

Free Member
Mar 18, 2022
Funster No
MH
Itineo SB740
Exp
SInce 2002
I was getting pain in my left knee from driving our previous 150BHP manual Ducato based motorhome. Earlier this year we swapped it for a 160BHP 2.2 9 speed auto and it's a joy to drive by comparison. I can also see what speed I am driving too as it has the new full digital dashboard. A few year back we had a Comfortmatic & although it never gave any trouble I didn't like it very much, it seemed very sluggish.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
I was getting pain in my left knee from driving our previous 150BHP manual Ducato based motorhome. Earlier this year we swapped it for a 160BHP 2.2 9 speed auto and it's a joy to drive by comparison. I can also see what speed I am driving too as it has the new full digital dashboard. A few year back we had a Comfortmatic & although it never gave any trouble I didn't like it very much, it seemed very sluggish.
I worked for a Renault dealer years ago with similar manual gearboxes automated in the 1970's and right up to present date like the recently dropped Comfortmatic they have never operated like a Automatic gearbox with a Torque Converter

Upvote 0
Mar 5, 2022
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
So we’ve been searching for “the one”, having missed a couple of beauties and kicked ourselves for not being sharper off the mark. First time motorhomers here.

Now a perfect rollerteam has come up, apart from the fact that it’s automatic which we weren’t previously considering, it’s not something we’ve ever had.

Is this likely to affect re-saleability or price? Any drawbacks or is it really no big deal? Maybe a great selling point?

Any thoughts welcome, thank you 😊
No brainer, auto every time. I wouldn’t change, a joy to drive 👍

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
The only reason I can think for wanting a manual is if you do off road camping. The extra control you have for getting off the wet stuff is handy.

With the electronic gee-gaws now fitted to modern vehicles I don’t think that’s necessarily true anymore.

My last VW Amarok had the ZF 8 speed auto ‘box with the central Torsen diff and no low-range. The ‘Off-Road’ mode altered the gearing profile and throttle response amongst other things. Even in very gnarly off-road situations there were no circumstances where it was at a disadvantage compared to the manual versions - in fact it often made it easier as you could concentrate on manoeuvring without worrying about stirring the box.

Upvote 0
Sep 6, 2011
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
WildAx Con3 XL PVC
Exp
Started 1989
Regarding Ducatos. There still seems to be some confusion regarding their automatic gearboxes.
The earlier “Comfortmatics” were actually a manual ‘box which had been mechanised with electronic actuators, not actually an automatic transmission in the traditional sense. This all being controlled electronically to drive normally on the road, which doesn’t include things like wet grass,or ascending Levelling ramps, or reversing up onto a grass pitch.
The newer 9 speed is a “proper” ZF automatic with a torque converter. Think Audi Bmw Jaguar etc.This gives much better, smoother control at lower take up speeds, ie all of the above, and trickling along in slow moving traffic (no hot clutch). Top gear (1 to 1 ) is actually fifth, so you actually have 4 subsequent overdrives which means relaxed cruising at very low RPM.
Downsides? It costs more and it weighs more than a manual.
If it were a toss up between a 9spd auto and a 6 spd manual I’d choose the 9 spd auto every time, it’s a belter. I think it would also be a benefit when it’s time to sell.

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
That's a significant point. Don't all automatics have traction control? (my car does - and it can't be switched off). Given how easy it is for the drive wheels to slip on wet grass, the engine will cut and you may have to be towed out every time.

Funny no-one has mentioned that Autos use more juice than manual too.
Isn't that because they don't anymore?

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back