• Well done, you found us. THIS IS THE NEW SERVER

Your motorhomes insurance and your no claims discount (1 Viewer)

forestfern

Free Member
Jun 11, 2022
New Forest, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
Evening all! Having found and paid a deposit on our dream motorhome at last, I rang LV about insurance. Hubby and I both have 9+ years of no claims discount but apparently this doesn’t count and the motorhome insurance will start with 0 years.

Just checking if this is standard? Thank you

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
West Yorkshire occasionally
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
I've been with LV on a joint car/moho policy for the last 4 years and up to now no-one can touch them for price and after sales service i've found.

not had a claim yet but found it comforting that those who have have been dealt with satisfactory and are pleased with the outcome, its only at this point do you know if any company are good or not.

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I found LV didn't have a clue - about anything. Go to a proper motorhome insurer like https://www.comfort-insurance.co.uk

As said - they don't give no claims as such but decent companies will mirror your current no claims
LV= are an excellent insurer and very competitive I could not find anyone cheaper with the same conditions😊everyone to there own I suppose?😊

Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
LV= are an excellent insurer and very competitive I could not find anyone cheaper with the same conditions😊everyone to there own I suppose?😊

I would have loved to insure with LV at a competitive price but the lady on the phone insisted my 2021 Fiat based Burstner Lyseo 727G didn't exist even though I gave her all the model info, number plate address etc.

As fair as I am aware LV don't do online web based quotations and insurance. I don't like talking to people like this on the phone. You've no idea of their competency and a surprising amount of people are hmmm.... 'not very bright? Give me a website any day!

So not each to their own. I just like competent companies. I dread to imagine what LV would be like if sadly you had to make a claim for an accident or theft.

Also - different companies are not competitive to different people. There are a lot of variables. You have to shop around. I will always do half a dozen quotes every time I renew.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
So not each to their own. I just like competent companies. I dread to imagine what LV would be like if sadly you had to make a claim for an accident or theft.
Well in my experience LV we’re very competent and I did all of my enquiries on line without speaking to anyone and to say they are incompetent is a bit harsh judging by the responses on this thread of folk who have been using LV for some time such as myself🤔

Upvote 0

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
I would have loved to insure with LV at a competitive price but the lady on the phone insisted my 2021 Fiat based Burstner Lyseo 727G didn't exist even though I gave her all the model info, number plate address etc.

As fair as I am aware LV don't do online web based quotations and insurance. I don't like talking to people like this on the phone. You've no idea of their competency and a surprising amount of people are hmmm.... 'not very bright? Give me a website any day!

Also - different companies are not competitive to different people. There are a lot of variables. You have to shop around. I will always do half a dozen quotes every time I renew.

My van doesn’t come up on their website either…….funny, I’ve got a V5C to prove the van should be on their database.🤷‍♂️

Upvote 0
Aug 24, 2022
South Killingholme, Lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Gleneagle
Exp
I'm a newbie had a wobbly box when adam was a lad
What you don't build NCB on motorhomes cobblers just changed my insurance from my Range Rover to my new to me motorhome with Saga and the policy is the same protected ncd key insurance legal breakdown cover etc and no problem towing a small car and its cheaper

Upvote 0

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
What you don't build NCB on motorhomes cobblers just changed my insurance from my Range Rover to my new to me motorhome with Saga and the policy is the same protected ncd key insurance legal breakdown cover etc and no problem towing a small car and its cheaper

Having only had a Motorhome for just over two years, I‘ve never come across such a disjointed, confusing, contradictory load of cobblers, when it comes to van insurance, myself.🤷‍♂️👍

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
My van doesn’t come up on their website either…….funny, I’ve got a V5C to prove the van should be on their database.🤷‍♂️
I think you will find that they (LV=) base their insurance on the make of chassis and not converters so would be Fiat Ducato or Ford Transit ,Peugeot, Citroen etc🤔
our Hymer is listed as a Fiat Motorcaravan 😊

Upvote 0

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
I think you will find that they (LV=) base their insurance on the make of chassis and not converters so would be Fiat Ducato or Ford Transit ,Peugeot, Citroen etc🤔
our Hymer is listed as a Fiat Motorcaravan 😊

But mine doesn’t even show on their database.🤷‍♂️

I can tell them it’s on a Fiat Chassis, but my registration number comes back as ‘not trace’.

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
But mine doesn’t even show on their database.🤷‍♂️

I can tell them it’s on a Fiat Chassis, but my registration number comes back as ‘not trace’.
Mine did for a while when we first got it as it was a personal import from Germany however I dont know if this helped or not? But I registered my van with a Fiat Proffesional for warranty purposes and that seemed to access data bases and could then find registration.😊

Upvote 0

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Mine did for a while when we first got it as it was a personal import from Germany however I dont know if this helped or not? But I registered my van with a Fiat Proffesional for warranty purposes and that seemed to access data bases and could then find registration.😊

Mines been showing as a Capron since being registered.👍

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
I believe LV base their MoHo insurance on the base vehicle - Fiat, Ford, Mercedes, etc. and don’t take the converter into account.

I’ve just opened up the quote I’ve received from LV and gone into the edit function for the vehicle and it confirms the above. Two screenshots of the drop-down menus under ‘Fiat’ for ‘Model’ and then following the selection of ‘Motorcaravan’:

FEBCF410-2464-490A-9230-DC0EA7A383D0.png

AC7D1C76-9EB7-47C7-914F-5EBDE543D833.png

Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Well in my experience LV we’re very competent and I did all of my enquiries on line without speaking to anyone and to say they are incompetent is a bit harsh judging by the responses on this thread of folk who have been using LV for some time such as myself🤔
Well I can only judge on my experience. As I said, I phoned them with a very well known Model of motorhome registered with DVLA (I can look it up myself on the DVLA website) but they told me it didn't exist :oops:. I rang some other companies and they had no problem finding it. Also, there are plenty of other comments on here stating that LV classify motorhomes under the name of the base vehicle. It all sounds a little confused.

I am quite happy now that I have a insurance certificate with all the correct vehicles details on.

If you are happy too then all is good with the world.

Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp

It really depends on your situation. I have a car insured in my name with 9+ years NCB. My wife has one with 9+ year NCB. If we want to keep both those cars on the road we cannot use that NCB so therefore you either start from scratch on the Motorhome or find a company that will 'mirror' the NCB you already have. This means you do not have NCB on that vehicle but the price you are given is discounted to the same premium as if you had NCB. I have done this for years on my 2nd car which is a low use 'weekend' sports car. Comfort motorhome insurance use this same process. No NCB but a premium which is equivalent to one that has. Other companies might use different methods but it doesn't really matter. All that matters is the price in the end.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back