• Well done, you found us. THIS IS THE NEW SERVER

Your advice please - with gas canister (1 Viewer)

May 23, 2021
Beds.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Harmony
Exp
Since 2021...
When we got our van, it had a 4.5 kg calor gas canister in it. That is nearly finished, and everywhere I've tried has told me that I am very unlikely to find a 4.5 canister. I've tried a 7 kg which we had in the garden form the BBQ and I can fit that into the gas cupboard.

Is it better to get the larger calor bottle, or do most people invest in a refillable canister which seem to be much more light weight? Are they readily refillable?

Thank you in advance!

Wabs

Free Member
May 30, 2020
Dartford
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E572
Exp
Always learning.
Sorry didn’t pay attention, a six will fit, and I would buy a propane one,works at all temps👍

Upvote 0
OP
OP
JoshnPen
May 23, 2021
Beds.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Harmony
Exp
Since 2021...
Can you advise what you are running off the gas ?
Fridge,,hot water,cooker?
Heating and hob. Everything else can go on either EHU or gas, but as novices we're sticking with sites with EHU.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
JoshnPen
May 23, 2021
Beds.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Harmony
Exp
Since 2021...
Sorry didn’t pay attention, a six will fit, and I would buy a propane one,works at all temps👍
Thank you, I'll have a look, I'd assumed I had to use LPG - which we use at home already!

Upvote 0

Wabs

Free Member
May 30, 2020
Dartford
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E572
Exp
Always learning.
Thank you, I'll have a look, I'd assumed I had to use LPG - which we use at home already!
Yep but lpg is the same , butane and propane are lpg, propane works at lowers temps than butane, most peeps use propane, all these tanks are re fillable

Upvote 1
OP
OP
JoshnPen
May 23, 2021
Beds.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Harmony
Exp
Since 2021...
Yep but lpg is the same , butane and propane are lpg, propane works at lowers temps than butane, most peeps use propane, all these tanks are re fillable
Ah I see, thank you so much.

Upvote 0

Wabs

Free Member
May 30, 2020
Dartford
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E572
Exp
Always learning.
I think you may be talking about is the plastic patio/ barbecue gas canisters which are green in colour and almost a see through side,, you can’t use them in a van,👍

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
For a start 4.5 & 7kg bottles are butane, propane are 3.9 & 6 kg. Butane only really suitable May through to September, butane stops gasing off at 0° but not much use below 10°, propane is OK down to - 40°.

3.9 kg far to small for a motorhome, even 6kg is small.

Refillables means you can get gas anywhere in Europe, Calor is UK only. Gas cost is around â…“ the cost of exchange bottles.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Wabs

Free Member
May 30, 2020
Dartford
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E572
Exp
Always learning.
As Lenny said, it depends if you have the space for two 6kgs bottles but looking at your avatar maybe not, if you are using EHU most of the time you may get away with it đź‘Ť

Upvote 0
OP
OP
JoshnPen
May 23, 2021
Beds.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Harmony
Exp
Since 2021...
Thank you v much for the info. I had been thinking of the plastic refillable types so I'll discard that idea. There are two cradles for gas canisters so I guess my answer is two 6kg propane ones. Is it worth investing in the gaslow or similar system?

Upvote 0

Wabs

Free Member
May 30, 2020
Dartford
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E572
Exp
Always learning.
I just have two bottles, but there will be someone along who can advise on the gas low system

Upvote 0

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Thank you v much for the info. I had been thinking of the plastic refillable types so I'll discard that idea. There are two cradles for gas canisters so I guess my answer is two 6kg propane ones. Is it worth investing in the gaslow or similar system?

We’ve got a Gaslow system, external filler and BBQ point….excellent for us. It all depends on how you use your van really. (y)

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Thank you v much for the info. I had been thinking of the plastic refillable types so I'll discard that idea. There are two cradles for gas canisters so I guess my answer is two 6kg propane ones. Is it worth investing in the gaslow or similar systems

Yes refillibles well worth it get the biggest you can fit.
It's not just about saving cost on gas, no heavy bottles to lug about, not restricted to finding supplier to change bottles, can get gas in any country.
We use about 150 Lt (75 kg) a year so it does save a fair bit of cash as well, particularly if you can only get 6 kg bottles in as per litre of gas they are much more expensive.

Upvote 0
Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
I think you may be talking about is the plastic patio/ barbecue gas canisters which are green in colour and almost a see through side,, you can’t use them in a van,👍
<PantoMode>Oh yes you can</PantoMode>. I used to use a BP Gaslite in my caravan. I've got a Safefill refillable now - similar type of cylinder, different colour.

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We use Alugas mostly because with a refillable system you don't have to lug the bottles in and out when you need to change them. We only have one bottle and fill it when the *very inaccurate* gauge goes into the orange unless we are on our way home and then just get it filled at our local oil suppliers who have an LPG pump.

We've never had an issue filling and only once had to ask (here) where our nearest LPG supplier was. If we think we have capacity for more gas and see a supplier we call in and top up. It can get a bit embarrassing when the cylinder takes less than ÂŁ5 worth :)

Upvote 0
Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
I swapped from Caloe to a Gas IT refill system some months ago, I think that it has almost paid for itself in savings already.

If you need different sizes, types, keep an eye on the Classifieds here;

There are often bottles on offer in there.

Upvote 0
Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
If you are going to keep your van for a few years, or intend to spend more than a couple of weeks outside the UK then a refillable system makes sense.

Calor bottles are UK only.
Calor gas costs about ÂŁ4.50 per litre

The benchmark refillable system is GasLow, but there are others, all have advantages and disadvantages.
Two bottles and the system will set you back the wrong side of ÂŁ700, but as the gas is 69p a litre and available in many petrol stations, the system pays for itself over time.

Upvote 0

RV-AL

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Twickenham, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Delaware
Exp
Since 2021
You can, you just need to fit an adapter. Lighter and much quicker to change over.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back