wrong date on dog passport for microchip (1 Viewer)

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Hope someone can reply very quickly we have been refused entry into Britain because of the wrong date stamp on the dog passport, we have been shown a map with a vets number on ruok get him out in an emergency. What is the prefix you use before phoning the number please. From an English mobile phone
WE HAVE MISSED our train because of it and only have today to do it otherwise have to wait again for the 24 hour rule.

Forgot to mention we are in Calais at the port for train.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Dial 0033 then you may have to miss off the next 0. Try this and if it doesn't work, try again with the 0.

Does the chip post date the rabies jab? This is not first time vet's have got dates wrong--I have 2 errors in my passports.

I'm a long way south but let me know if I can help at all.

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Thanks done that and it worked, waiting outside vets now for him to come out in out of hours, this is gonna cost us a few euro I guess.
All because the vet dated the date of microchipping wrong, had to get a faxed copy from the vet in southport, another out of hours service!!

Had scary moment when they said that we may have to wait six months before we can get back.

For rabies jab

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ninjayorkies

Free Member
Mar 28, 2010
Lutterworth
Funster No
MH
A Beastie
Exp
Since July 2010
If your vet has made a cock up then surely they shouldn't be charging you to fax the details!

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
If the original UK vet messed up, play merry hell when you get back & refuse to pay a penny.
They KNOW how important these documents are and really should take more care.

The original vet should also pay at least some of your vet costs in France, IMO.

Mine all have rabies boosters in the Uk because I can get a 3 year one, and each time I have to remind the vet to date it for 3 years, not 1.

Good luck & hope you have no further hassle getting home.

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Just boarding now, cost us €60 extra just for him to change merry hell that we had the 3 year passport.
Will try to get recompense when we get back from original vet

May 8, 2010
South Wales
Funster No
MH
RollerTeam T-Line785
Exp
since 2009
So glad you have sorted it. My heart sank when I just read this. I bet you were worried. ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Well we are back in britain now wow what a faff!!!!
thanks for the concern by the way.
An update
We turned up at the tunnel with Susie and the passport ready and after some chatter in their french turned to me and said the details on this passport are wrong, I asked her to explain.

The vet had put the date of micro chipping as 8.12.09 and had the date on the rabies vaccination as 07.01.09, we didnt notice and neither did the 4 vets we have seen since we had the passport done.
We asked 4 vets if the 3 year passport for Susie would be ok and they all said yes, so they didnt notice the wrong date on the passport.

The lady at the port pet control said that the micro chipping was done after the rabies which was not possible so we had to get it clarified by phoning an out of hours surgery in Southport where it had been done originally for them to fax the original details to them.

As we had been plucking the courage to go abroad and had not used the passport, finally when we did had this problem!!!

The vet in Calais charged 60 euro for 3 minutes work just changing details on the passport and signing and stamping it.

He went mad when he saw that the rabies was for 3 years and in his french, (very quick too) I just managed to make out that he and other vets in france would not allow this and only did them yearly.

So we have to get this done before we go away next.

We are sooo glad to be back but it hasnt put us off going again, we love France.

Terry loves driving over there and I had a couple of drives as well but left the majority to him as he used to be HGV anyway so more used to driving a big vehicle.

So there lies a tale, check and double check all details on the pet passport, ours didnt even get a glance, just waved through.

They said that lots of passports fail due to dates and the 24/48 hour rule.

The worst scenario would have been to have to stay there for 6 months,:Eeek: we had so much to sort out in Britain , now it is!!

Sorry for the essay but hope this story will help others to avoid the stress we have been through today!:thumb:

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
Well we are back in britain now wow what a faff!!!!
thanks for the concern by the way.
An update
We turned up at the tunnel with Susie and the passport ready and after some chatter in their french turned to me and said the details on this passport are wrong, I asked her to explain.

The vet had put the date of micro chipping as 8.12.09 and had the date on the rabies vaccination as 07.01.09, we didnt notice and neither did the 4 vets we have seen since we had the passport done.
We asked 4 vets if the 3 year passport for Susie would be ok and they all said yes, so they didnt notice the wrong date on the passport.

The lady at the port pet control said that the micro chipping was done after the rabies which was not possible so we had to get it clarified by phoning an out of hours surgery in Southport where it had been done originally for them to fax the original details to them.

As we had been plucking the courage to go abroad and had not used the passport, finally when we did had this problem!!!

The vet in Calais charged 60 euro for 3 minutes work just changing details on the passport and signing and stamping it.

He went mad when he saw that the rabies was for 3 years and in his french, (very quick too) I just managed to make out that he and other vets in france would not allow this and only did them yearly.

So we have to get this done before we go away next.

We are sooo glad to be back but it hasnt put us off going again, we love France.

Terry loves driving over there and I had a couple of drives as well but left the majority to him as he used to be HGV anyway so more used to driving a big vehicle.

So there lies a tale, check and double check all details on the pet passport, ours didnt even get a glance, just waved through.

They said that lots of passports fail due to dates and the 24/48 hour rule.

The worst scenario would have been to have to stay there for 6 months,:Eeek: we had so much to sort out in Britain , now it is!!

Sorry for the essay but hope this story will help others to avoid the stress we have been through today!:thumb:

Oh so glad that you are home safe n sound, yes it is the simple things that can catch us out, but glad it hasnt put you off going to France again in the future....

I would certainly have a chat with your vet to see if there is any way he can compensate you for the extra fees n inconvenience due to missing your connection

doubt if they will but at least they will be more careful next time :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Kath

ninjayorkies

Free Member
Mar 28, 2010
Lutterworth
Funster No
MH
A Beastie
Exp
Since July 2010
Glad you got back ok. Can't understand why the french vet got so bolshie about the rabies jab lasting 3 years? Timmy's isn't up for renewal for 3 years, Chloe and Izzy's were 2 years. Vet we saw in Bruges never mentioned it so I shall use him again next time if they're going to be that picky :Angry:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
In france and spain it is usually yearly due to being linked to countries where there is a strong possiblitity of a wild animal with rabies, Britain on the other hand has been rabies free for years in general. If you went to live in france/spain with your dog you would have to have the yearly jab as well.

Oldroadies

Free Member
Jun 21, 2009
Channel Islands
Funster No
MH
Coach built Autocruise
Exp
6 + 20 caravaning
So glad it is all sorted, check check and check is the only way as we found out too; we had a couple of problems a few years ago as our Vet here hadn't signed the blood test certification page in the passport! luckily it was when we got back to our side and they phoned the vet to confirm, confiscated my dogs passport and I had to collect it from our Vet once he had signed it and no doubt had a b***king - again we had made at least 4 or 5 trips without anyone noticing it!
The Rabies jab 3 year ruling in the UK is because we are starting to accept that what the Americans do is correct and that the dogs still have sufficient antibodies to protect them for 36months, rabies is quite prolific in Mexico and bordering southern US States, as you say France and Spain is annually but the rest of Europe is now bi-annually, most of the French vets we talk to say this is ridiculous as well as the 24/48hr rule, which should be extended to a reasonable 10 day window, but at the end of the day it is all "euros in pockets" . There was a case of a blind finance worker who regularly travelled to Luxembourg on business with his guide dog and there were concerns about the dog being treated with tic & worming treatments so often,but I didn't see any follow up and obviously nothing has changed. At least the French vet that we use a lot is sensible as once when our ferry was cancelled due to inclement weather and we missed the 24/48 hr deadline he just re-stamped our book without charge and would not have administered more wormer or tic treatment as he deemed it bad veterinary practice.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back