Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
I retired at 60, moved back to this side of the world, just could not hack it.
Got a part time job with Brown Bros the Car parts firm, oh man ! oh man! didn't last long at that cause I refused to kiss arse, looked on in disgust while the rest sucked up to the Clown in the bosses seat.

Took a job snagging, enjoyed it, guess it was the banter of a building site I missed, (world cup 2003!!;)) Then sort of slowly shortened down. At 65 said thats it!!
Then "hey Johnno kin yu give me 2 days a week, I got 120 newbuilds??
"Mate I need 6 weeks, it'll be all schools, while the kids are on their summer hols, how many days kin yu give me?"

Finally gave up I suppose 18 month 2 years ago, could even be three.

You're absolutely right, some building sites are the best places you'll ever work because of the banter, unfortunately now it's mostly governed by price work and time to finish jobs which leads to the trade not caring less about who has to follow behind them, it then becomes very dog eat dog

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Retired person down in your area end of next week, Langport, Taunton and Tiverton.(y)

We'll be at Combe Martin from Friday.

wife and I started a three day week this month, so long weekends every weekend, and still enough money coming in, now mortgage paid off. another year or so of this and then retire fully. enjoying ourselves whilst we have the health to do so.
Martin went to a 3 day week a year before he retired, a week before he was due to fully retire he had a heart attack - luckily he was already in hospital for his regular check-up (all males in his family have died from sudden heart failure or have had heart surgery) so all was well and he is now in very good health.

I loved my job but not the politics and bitching that went with it so applied for voluntary redundancy when it was on offer. I got turned down as "my skills were too valuable to the organisation" then less than a month later my job was made redundant and no other suitable vacancy was available (I never did work out what happened to my valuable skills in that month!) Anyway I decided to make the most of things and took time out to have long postponed surgery - it went wrong - so no way will I go back to work, too much risk, although I do a little bit of self-employed stuff.

We are taking each day as it comes as you NEVER know what is round the corner.

OP
OP
Dave K

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Combe Martin is a lovely spot @Puddleduck
We used to visit Newberry site quite often when we had the caravan, I think the wolf sanctuary has gone now but hearing them howling of a night was interesting.
Glad you're both ok now

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 1, 2015
Norwich
Funster No
MH
RAPIDO 686F
Exp
We are semi retired and self employed so no work no pay . But having bought our first van 7 years ago have never looked back . We try and get away as many weekends as possible and always a few days in the school holidays .
Don't wait if you can afford it ! It's a lovely lifestyle.
This is so much like our lifestyle. Last year sold my business ( very small by the way)
and the guy I sold it to, who used to also do some of my work wanted me to stay doing the sales side. Joy my wife who is the big 60 in two weeks time ( best leave out the 66 bit ) So we are also Semi and although just back from our lovely family holiday,because of child care and a very poorly FIL,unable to get away as much as we would like.
Ray &Joy

Last edited:

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
Enjoy the weekends and holidays for now Dave K but get a good plan in place for earlier retirement if you can. From the age of 21 I planed for retirement at 50/55. Almost made it at 50 but the down turn in the oil industry has affected my plans so I still have another 4 years to go at 55. Well, I say that but what I should say is, I will have the choice to go at 55 if I wish to. That is, if my kids stop bleeding me dry at every turn ;). One thing that worries me though is that I won't like being out of work so early so might try a 3 day week to get used to it. Will then have nice long weekends away in the van :)(y) Good luck with your planning. (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Dave K

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Enjoy the weekends and holidays for now Dave K but get a good plan in place for earlier retirement if you can. From the age of 21 I planed for retirement at 50/55. Almost made it at 50 but the down turn in the oil industry has affected my plans so I still have another 4 years to go at 55. Well, I say that but what I should say is, I will have the choice to go at 55 if I wish to. That is, if my kids stop bleeding me dry at every turn ;). One thing that worries me though is that I won't like being out of work so early so might try a 3 day week to get used to it. Will then have nice long weekends away in the van :)(y) Good luck with your planning. (y)

Thanks Steve, I like the sound of a 3 day week, a much better ratio :)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Thanks Steve, I like the sound of a 3 day week, a much better ratio :)
... a 3 day week would mean there are 121 weeks in a year! :Eeek:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
If you can plan to work your three day week over the weekend, that way you can get away when places are not so crowded :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back