Big Nick

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Coachbuilt
Exp
We found loads of places, some were hardstanding/lay-bys off minor roads that where really quiet and had no signage prohibiting it whilst others were rural car parks in remote locations

We tended to arrive late and leave earlyish to minimise the chances of anyone having a whinge or being annoyed by it, this also helps when it's narrow roads involved and lessens the chance of stuff coming the other way

We also were mindful not to damage/churn up the ground and didn't leave any trace behind we'd been there

I know people often like to park up near another for safety in numbers etc but for wild camping I avoid anywhere another MH is parked to avoid drawing attention

gaznshaz

Free Member
Aug 2, 2016
Stansted
Funster No
MH
still looking
Exp
Keith - can i say one thing that has worried me about buying and travelling with a motorhome is the lack of information on wild camping. I have no real desire to spend my time in camping sites lined up next to others like a car park with no view. Travelling to me is not just the getting from A to B but the evenings and nights out on your own with stunning scenery. I had been thinking that this is how it would be. Only recently have i started looking in earnest and found so little info on wild camping and TBH so many people saying how impossible / dangerous / supervised it is that i was very closes to giving up. I have seen more info with Britstop and some others with a few places listed, so i was feeling a bit better - but your maps are a godsend. Just a quick look showed me a couple of places i would love to stay overnight at. Thank you for reinstalling confidence. My wife will be especially pleased as the worry of being woken up in the night by some security bod was of great concern to her. Thanks again for the hard work in putting this info together and for sharing it. I love the internet :)

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
@keith , see post above this one

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

flying rat76

Free Member
Aug 1, 2016
blackburn
Funster No
MH
fiat
Exp
9 years
Helwith brige near Settle lets you stay on the car park for free.all they ask is to come in for a few beers, out door toilet, order breakfast for the morning, what a lovely spot very recommend it.and they do some very good food

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Hi Keith,

Our friend owns The Crown at Rumwell, near Wellington, Somerset, just off the M5. Large car park and he's happy for people to stay if they have a meal in the pub. Any chance you can add him to your list. We've stayed at a few of them, so thanks for making it available to us all :eek:)

Thanks that is on the map, someone on recommended it so time ago

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back