Why you do not need to be an EU resident to obtain an EU Pet Passport (1 Viewer)

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
I am writing this article to counter various claims that you can only obtain and use an EU Pet Passport if you live in the EU. Most of these claims are made on Facebook, in the Animal Health Certificate and Animal Health Certificate UK groups. Recently there has appeared in both these groups posts which claim to have received the ‘definitive answer’ from official EU sources. These alleged definitive responses invariably raise more questions than they answer. However, these questions never seem to be asked and so the responses are posted as gospel. While we know that Facebook is an unreliable source of information, some of these posts become widely repeated and then take on a life of their own, regardless of accuracy.

To counter false claims like these we need to go back to first principles. In this case the first principle is the actual legislation which governs the entry of pet dogs, cats and ferrets into the EU. This is Regulation (EU) 576/2013 on the non-commercial movement of pet animals:

Regulation (EU) 576/2013

This is a lengthy document written in legal terms but the EU Commission has converted it into simpler language on its website in the section ’Movement of pets - EU legislation’:

Movement of pets - EU legislation

This covers many webpages but the page we are particularly interested in is ‘Non-commercial movement from non-EU countries’. (We will be returning to this page later.):

Non-commercial movement from non-EU countries

The first important point to notice from all of the above is that nowhere in the Regulation does it specify that an EU Pet Passport may only be issued to an EU resident.

When we were still members of the EU and therefore in a position to issue our own Pet Passports, the booklet published by the Animal & Plant Health Agency (APHA) titled ‘How to Complete Pet Passports’ contained the following information:

C73FC068-4C3A-4515-8D6A-4ED74851E21F.jpeg

This was made even more explicit in the earlier version of this booklet titled ‘EU Pet Passport Guidance Notes’:

C4873622-0D55-4EA7-8D79-D346FEC4DAC4.jpeg

It is, however, important to note that while there is no EU-wide legal requirement for a pet owner to be an EU resident in order to obtain a pet passport, individual countries may introduce their own particular ‘requirements’ concerning their issue. For example, Italy has always required that a pet owner has an Italian address to which the pet is registered, and Pet Passports cannot be issued directly by vets but only via the ASL (a health department with an animal section). However much I love Italy I have to say that its bureaucracy runs on steroids. A more recent ‘requirement’ is the one introduced in France (apparently as the result of a government directive), for an animal to have been in France for at least 90 days and registered on their national pet database (I-cad) in order to be issued with a Pet Passport. This ‘requirement’ would seem to be motivated more by political resentment over Brexit than anything to do with animal health.

Returning to Regulation 576/2013, now that we are no longer an EU member state and have become a Part 2 listed third country, the most relevant part of the legislation to us is Article 27.

3C10957A-885C-47B7-990B-AD79ADE01166.jpeg

As mentioned previously the legal language makes it difficult reading but Article 27 has been paraphrased on the EU Commission webpage mentioned earlier:

0C0CE786-7EE6-428C-B57F-F6482C8BEE27.jpeg

Article 27 is the provision by which Americans, Canadians, etc have been able to obtain EU Pet Passports for many years, and subsequently use them to re-enter the EU from the US, Canada, etc. As the UK (or at least the GB part) is now classed as a Part 2 listed country, the same provision applies to us.

This use of EU Pet Passports is documented on various official websites and I have posted screenshots and links to a few of them below:

1. US Dept of Agriculture, Animal & Plant Health Inspection Service

F0FC628F-DAF3-404B-9521-697245AC38D8.jpeg

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/pet-travel/by-country/eu/pet_travel-european_union_pet_passports

2. Spanish Embassy for the US and Canada

03DA94CC-6351-4EE3-8150-58B49ACBB5EB.jpeg

<Broken link removed>

3. French Embassy in the US

3614C390-8053-4D7E-8F43-40E036417CA8.jpeg

<Broken link removed>

I hope that people will find this information useful and that it will enable them to simplify their travels abroad with their pets.

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
Whilst I'm not disputing what you say, I would like to add what happened to us at the border leaving France to the UK with the intention of returning to France. At the time, October 2021, we weren't yet official residents in France although we had applied and had our application numbers to prove it. So, we were still UK residents. We had already obtained a French passport for our dog, as well as having our EU passport for her from the UK. The reason for this, according to our French vet, was that they couldn't transfer her Rabies vaccine from one to the other so, until she had her booster, we should show both passports.

We arrived at the border to leave France, showed both her passports and were told we could not re-enter France without an AHC. When we asked why, we were told it was because we weren't yet French resident so the French passport was invalid. Sure enough, on our return, we were asked for her AHC. Thank goodness we'd got one!

As I said, I'm not disagreeing with you but I wanted to say that what happens at the border might be different to what *should* happen, based on our experience of how the rules can be interpreted. In our case, a French passport alone would not have got our dog into France.

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Whilst I'm not disputing what you say, I would like to add what happened to us at the border leaving France to the UK with the intention of returning to France. At the time, October 2021, we weren't yet official residents in France although we had applied and had our application numbers to prove it. So, we were still UK residents. We had already obtained a French passport for our dog, as well as having our EU passport for her from the UK. The reason for this, according to our French vet, was that they couldn't transfer her Rabies vaccine from one to the other so, until she had her booster, we should show both passports.

We arrived at the border to leave France, showed both her passports and were told we could not re-enter France without an AHC. When we asked why, we were told it was because we weren't yet French resident so the French passport was invalid. Sure enough, on our return, we were asked for her AHC. Thank goodness we'd got one!

As I said, I'm not disagreeing with you but I wanted to say that what happens at the border might be different to what *should* happen, based on our experience of how the rules can be interpreted. In our case, a French passport alone would not have got our dog into France.
That’s interesting but I think I know what has happened here. As the French vet had not transferred the existing rabies vaccination details into the new French pet passport it was invalid. It is not sufficient to just write in it something like ‘see old UK pet passport’. This is why you needed an AHC to return to France rather than anything to do with residency.

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
That’s interesting but I think I know what has happened here. As the French vet had not transferred the existing rabies vaccination details into the new French pet passport it was invalid. It is not sufficient to just write in it something like ‘see old UK pet passport’. This is why you needed an AHC to return to France rather than anything to do with residency.

No, he specifically said it was because we were not yet French residents and so were treated as UK residents ie., we needed an AHC.

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
No, he specifically said it was because we were not yet French residents and so were treated as UK residents ie., we needed an AHC.
In that case the reason you were given is wrong and you should have asked to speak to his superior. However, you still had an invalid French pet passport and would therefore have needed an AHC to enter France anyway.

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
In that case the reason you were given is wrong and you should have asked to speak to his superior. However, you still had an invalid French pet passport and would therefore have needed an AHC to enter France anyway.

I wasn't after advice, or scoring a Brownie point or two. I was just forwarding my own experience at the border.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I have not read through this lot as my eyesight is not what it was, but two of our tenants are Brazilian, but hold EU passports, one Portuguese the other family Italian. They all now have pre settled status and one Brazilian ex tenant has moved on to purchase there own home. One Romanian tenant recently had to fly back to Roumania to renew his driving licence. I know this is all correct as I had to contact the home office before issuing tenancy agreements.

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
I have not read through this lot as my eyesight is not what it was, but two of our tenants are Brazilian, but hold EU passports, one Portuguese the other family Italian. They all now have pre settled status and one Brazilian ex tenant has moved on to purchase there own home. One Romanian tenant recently had to fly back to Roumania to renew his driving licence. I know this is all correct as I had to contact the home office before issuing tenancy agreements.
Hi Dave. Have you posted this in the wrong thread as we are talking about EU Pet Passports here? :Smile:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Hi Dave. Have you posted this in the wrong thread as we are talking about EU Pet Passports here? :Smile:
Sorry about that Maz. Eyesight p-laying up.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

• Love It
Reactions: maz
Nov 26, 2014
Never on the wrong road ......
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2014, before that 20 years of boating & caravanning
We used Oscar's new Spanish PP yesterday at Dieppe, didn't show (& wasn't asked) for the AHC, although we did get it completed on page 4 just in case 😂. No problems, though they asked for sight of his previous PP to check when the chip was inserted, as on his new Spanish PP, it's completed as "date of chip reading"

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
We used Oscar's new Spanish PP yesterday at Dieppe, didn't show (& wasn't asked) for the AHC, although we did get it completed on page 4 just in case 😂. No problems, though they asked for sight of his previous PP to check when the chip was inserted, as on his new Spanish PP, it's completed as "date of chip reading"
Did the vet transfer over existing rabies vaccination info or give a new rabies booster?

Nov 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Did the vet transfer over existing rabies vaccination info or give a new rabies booster?
A new 1 years rabies was given, he wouldn't transfer the rabies vacc. Also he said we would not be able to travel for 3 weeks from the rabies vac, which wasn't a problem for us, we pointed out that Oscar's rabies were still in date, but he seemed convinced that we needed to wait 3 weeks 🤔. The only query at pet control at Dieppe was that on the new Spanish PP, the Vet has to state whether it's the date of application or reading of the transponder & he crossed out date of application & put the date of reading, which was 07.02.22. At Dieppe.they just wanted to check the original date of application of the transponder, it was all very laid back, not an issue at all. He said he would also register Oscar on Spain s dog database
IMG_20220305_124907.jpg

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
A new 1 years rabies was given, he wouldn't transfer the rabies vacc. Also he said we would not be able to travel for 3 weeks from the rabies vac, which wasn't a problem for us, we pointed out that Oscar's rabies were still in date, but he seemed convinced that we needed to wait 3 weeks 🤔. The only query at pet control at Dieppe was that on the new Spanish PP, the Vet has to state whether it's the date of application or reading of the transponder & he crossed out date of application & put the date of reading, which was 07.02.22. At Dieppe.they just wanted to check the original date of application of the transponder, it was all very laid back, not an issue at all. He said he would also register Oscar on Spain s dog database View attachment 592119
As the vet gave another rabies booster, the date of reading is fine. Not at all sure why Pet Control at Dieppe felt they needed the date of implantation as well. :unsure:

Also, as you were aware, the vet was wrong about the 21 days wait. However, the main thing is that you have obtained and used an EU Pet Passport without problem. (y)

Nov 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp

Just seen this on Facebook......

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011

Just seen this on Facebook......
But that is nothing new - just the same old quote from the I-cad website tarted up with an inaccurate headline. As we know, France has recently been making it more difficult for Brits to obtain pet passports there for whatever reason - dare I suggest politics? :RollEyes:

However that is just France adding their own petty ’requirements’. It is not a change in EU law.

Nov 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
But that is nothing new - just the same old quote from the I-cad website tarted up with an inaccurate headline. As we know, France has recently been making it more difficult for Brits to obtain pet passports there for whatever reason - dare I suggest politics? :RollEyes:

However that is just France adding their own petty ’requirements’. It is not a change in EU law.
Agree (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back