Mar 20, 2016
Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Novice
Hi all

Firstly, let me apologise for what I'm sure will be a long winded introduction!

My wife and I have been thinking about getting a Motorhome for a while and we decided to bite the bullet and go for it!

We rush down to our local dealer and although very excited, we try to play it cool and not rush into anything. As planned, 10 minutes later, we find ourselves negotiating over the price of a Motorhome and have managed to double our budget in the process!

Fortunately, we managed to get back home without open wallet surgery and decided to reflect on our failed attempt of not rushing into anything.

So, we have now decided to let our heads rule the purchasing process and are looking to you good folk for words of advice and the do's and dont's etc.

From our little experience and research we have decided to go for a layout that has a dining area in the front, kitchen in the middle and a fixed bed at the back. The reason is that there is just two of us plus our dog Bea, and the layout suits us as we would rather have the bedroom as a separate room from the dining area. We're looking for something that is not too big, like a Bessacarr E560 or an Autoroller 694.

We wanted a fairly modern motorhome but we're not sure what age to get. We're nervous about maintenance costs as we've already totted up running costs such as insurance, service, habitation service and tax etc. We did look at the new Rollerteam motorhomes and whilst we liked the 5 and 10 year warranties, they are well over our budget.

We would very much appreciate any views about what to buy and where to buy. Does this forum offer members the facility to buy motorhomes?

Again, sorry for the long winded introduction.

All the best!

Beatherotty

Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
Welcome!

You need to think about how, when and where you're going to use it. (It reads as though you've already started this, so well done.) What sort of camping will you do? What are you going to carry with you? How much space will it take up and, more importantly, how much will it weigh? What size vehicle can you drive and store, and where will you store it?

Rather than staring at a particular dealers, I would start with a big show, which allows you to see many different makes, layouts, etc. The main show at Peterborough is coming up shortly (15 to 17 April) and would be a good place to visit.

Others will be along with good advice shortly. Good luck with your search

OP
OP
Beatherotty

Beatherotty

Free Member
Mar 20, 2016
Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Novice
Hi Cavs

Thanks for that. We are mainly looking at weekends away initially and then doing more of the UK as we progress and gain confidence.

The show sounds like a good idea and something that we will aim to do.

Appreciate the help.

Thanks

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: JSW
Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Hi and welcome to you ...3 ! ....After all Bea is part of it all !

Good idea to go to shows, moreover , you'll meet lots of funsters there and I'm sure they'll be all very helpful!

Once you'll get the hang of it, and get more confident, you'll probably cross the waters and want to visit my country. And if help is needed, I won't be far to try and help you out whatever the problem!

Amicalement

Frankie:)

Jul 1, 2012
Nr Whitby
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
On & off since late70s
If you do as suggested and go to a show I suggest you visit the associated campground in the evening.
2 reasons
The campground will have a wider selection of motorhomes (show is typically new ones)
Most owners are knowledgeable and friendly and probably willing to give you a more honest opinions / answers than the folk inside the show.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Hello and welcome from West Midlands.

Wyn

Mar 17, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
Since 2007
Look at lots and lots to decide on which layout you really want and don't rush into purchasing too fast. Sometimes things which you at first thought to be essential turn out not to be. For example we were obsessed with not having. A "wet room" shower - the truth is that now we rarely ever use the onboard shower but use site facilities. We were also really emphatic about wanting a cooker with an oven - if we purchased again we would just have a hob, grill and microwave. Another change we would make is to buy a Motorhome with a larger freezer area. Good luck with your search - there is lots of information on this site.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Hello and welcome!:welcome3:
We have always bought second hand vehicles that are a few years old. We have found that previous owners have put on all the extras that we think we like , and would have added a considerable amount to the cost of a new van.
Good luck and join the forum and let us know how you get on !its an exciting time!!:)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Howdy and welcome to the fun house.

The most important piece of advice I can give you is ... LEAVE THE WALLET AT HOME! That way you won't be tempted to sign-up for anything immediately without having time to reflect! If a dealer is worth their salt they'll hold it and allow you a bit of time to mull it over and ring them later to pay a deposit over the phone if you are then sure you want a particular motorhome from them.

LAM

Apr 23, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 Welcome
Exp
Began with the purchase of our first, ever MH in 2014
:welcomesign:

This is a very exciting and expensive time :clap2:
As all will say, your decision should be based on 'how/why/where/when you will use your MH.
As a fairly recent owner, my main advice would be to hire one.
It may help to determine your internal layout..
Welcome :party2::party2:

OP
OP
Beatherotty

Beatherotty

Free Member
Mar 20, 2016
Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Novice
Hi All

Thanks for the many replies - It is refreshing to find a forum where people are so welcoming and helpful.

We're going to take the recommendations on board and take it slowly before making a decision on what to buy etc. We're also looking into doing a rental beforehand.

Does anyone have any advice regarding the best place to look for private sales of Motorhomes? We're not sure whether to buy private or trade but it seems that most adverts are trade.

Thanks again all, much appreciated!

Regards

Beatherotty

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Before you get to the point of actually wanting to buy get your short-list of vehicles together first then you can research where you can get those MHs from and that will determine whether you buy private or via a dealer.

IMV the most important aspect is getting to grips with exactly HOW you want to use it as that will give you a lot of help in what layout suits and what you need ... and what you don't.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hello Welcome to Fun, you are right do your research spend a little time in various vans without the salesmen! imagine yourself living in it on a wet day, does it feel comfortable , one of the biggest shows in the motorhome year is on in April at Peterborough, if you could do BB there you could have the weekend looking around every make size shape and price and all in one place, also a good place to talk to Motorhomers , I expect there will be upwards of 3,000 Motorhomes camping there. Could be of interest.

A good idea to become a full member of Fun £15 a year for that you can post as often as you like get good discounts and much more. :pink:

parigby

Free Member
Aug 20, 2009
Ludlow
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
20 years
I know this might sound a bit practical and a bit basic, but ...... (1) lie on the bed (both of you - and at the same time ) - is it big enough to be comfortable, do your feet stick out the end, etc, etc. (2) can you actually sit on the loo, and can you shut the loo door whilst you're in situ ( l know of at least two MoHomes where you have to be no bigger than a size eight, and be no taller than 5ft 8 for that to happen ). (3) if one of you is stood up, can the other actually get past you, or do you have to sync your moves.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
It's good to hear from us all about what's best and we'll all give you great advice, but the only way will be to try them all and see what's right for you and that way you'll get it right. I spent 2 years looking for MY perfect motorhome, it wouldn't be perfect for everyone, but it is for me.

After 2 trips to the NEC and sitting in EVERY motorhome on show, I wanted a fixed double at the rear, with the overcab bed for storage or guests/family. I never realised how useful and important the overcab was until I'd had it a while. I knew I wanted a motorhome with one, but the storage they offer is second to none.

I took notes and when I finally spent my pennies on my home, it had the fixed rear double, overcab double and 2 sofa seats facing each other that easily sat 6 and could also become a bed.

I also wanted a separate shower that worked really well, with good reasonable fresh and grey water tanks. I wanted a separate toilet and I wanted a solar panel. I also wanted 2 long sofas that converted to a bed. It had to have a reverse camera, a microwave, a decent kitchen that had a sink AND a draining board (most don't I'm afraid) and a decent oven, hob and grill (again lots don't).

I wanted the external BBQ and shower points and an awning. I also wanted alloy wheels and a tow bar. All a big ask, but that's what I wanted and that's what I found. Get yourself to a show, or a meet as it's really the only way you'll find what you need and then you can decide if you want a new one or look for a secondhand one, which is what I did and was very happy with the money I spent.

I haven't regretted any of it and love that I now have a motorhome and can't describe how much fun they are to own. They're not cheap as there's maint costs, insurance etc and then the money to keep it in good working order, but all in all, it's worth every penny.

Happy motorhoming

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
welcome, you could always do like most of those on here, me included, dive at the first you find, the see why it doesn't suit you :)

it is very much your choice in the end, that is why there are so many different models available (y)

Reactions: LAM

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi and welcome, most replies have answered your question.
I would certainly look at loads of different layouts and as Carol mentioned imagine your living in it on a cold wet day. We have just changed our van to a smaller one and it has taken a bit of adjustment but really pleased we have, we like you like the fixed bed and this time have went for two singles that can be made in to double. Our last van had a transverse fixed and although it was the comfiest bed we've had it could be a pain if the person sleeping on the inside wanted out for the loo are anything else.
I would go to a show or large dealer even if your not planning on buying from them look at loads of different layouts, take a flask and imagine your there for the night can you both see the TV if you want on, as someone mentioned can you both fit in the beds I'm only just over 6ft and you'd be surprised how many I couldn't fit in.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Hi @Beatherotty and welcome

The biggest motorhome show of the year is at Peterborough, and well worth the time to visit. The show nearest to home will be Newbury and although smaller is normally worth it if you want to find a van

buying privately is fine, but be VERY wary of scams on ebay gumtree and autotrader. if possible take the time to take somebody who knows about motorhomes with you and invest in a damp meter.

choosing the right layout is a mater of personal preference, but from experience, it takes 3 changes for most people to get right. you will only know if a van works for you when you actually start trying to live in it. sometimes people get it right first time and are very happy. What I recommend to most first time buyers is buy a cheaper second hand van first, as making a mistake in van layout choice will be less painful on the wallet to change

the best value investment you can make is subscribing on this forum. the combined knowledge of experience here will answer any of your questions without having to ask a biased salesman at a dealership. ask real motorhomers and you will get a straight answers, well along with the humorous replies

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Hiya!

,,,, and , where are you going to store it, will it go on your drive, does that limit you to length? Secure storage is obviously reassuring - but if you have to go and get it and then park on eg double yellows on the main rd outside your house whilst you load it to go on all those weekends away ..... it's not going to be very 'spontaneous' is it?

Is your driving licence a modern one that restricts you to 3500 kg, or an older one that doesn't?

Have you driven anything that size before? If not - will you like it?

Don't be too brain fixed on what your THINK you want. Fixed bed/dinette fine - however are the dinette seats sufficient to lounge about on on eg a wet day when you want to read or watch TV, whatever for a few hours?

Shedloads of things you have yo ask yourselves that you've never thought og before!! LOL

Good luck with your search - you'll find one to suit you!

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
:welcome4:
Hi Beatherotty Welcome to the jungle. I myself have just joined and believe me you will get all the help you need and more besides. LOL. I like the look of the Bessacarr E560 your thinking of, I myself like the way the bench seats are arranged in it, I myself am not keen on the other one as it's a dinette and I prefer bench seats facing each other, but that's a personal opinion. I am picking my second hand van up this Friday and I am excited and really looking forward to it. This is an expensive hobby for want of a better word, but I believe if you use it regularly and get out there and enjoy the motorhome then the flexibility it gives you is in my opinion second to none. I'm hopping to do more wild camping than sites but I will use sites to replenish my batteries and dispose of waste etc.

Hope you find your dream motorhome, hope to see you on the trail sometime.

Best Wishes Tony

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back