LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
Ok time up. Thanks to everyone for giving me an evenings entertainment and coming up with some good ideas of where next.
It’s a point in a small sculpture park that marks the old Iron Curtain frontier where Austria, Slovakia and Hungary met. We’re staying at a fine Stellplatz in nearby Deutsch Jahrdorf. Highly recommended, few facilities but quiet and just a donation for the stay.
In the village is a “fridge honest box” with beer and wine from a local farm, just opposite a covered bench and table, what a good idea.

Thanks everyone….. the wine by the way is excellent!
Enjoy! Thanks for an interesting map chase...

OP
OP
brynric

brynric

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
And a chicken popped in for dinner.

Attachments

• 43D46879-6E1E-4631-BB44-694D51362144.jpeg
    43D46879-6E1E-4631-BB44-694D51362144.jpeg
    875.6 KB · Views: 32
Dec 25, 2015
Nelson New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
Since 1998
I enjoyed that virtual tour brynric but I have used up all the data on my iPad trying to pinpoint where you are! Your trip is whetting my appetite. We enjoy finding obscure border crossings and especially enjoy the former Eastern bloc countries.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
brynric

brynric

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
We enjoy finding obscure border crossings and especially enjoy the former Eastern bloc countries.
Sorry about the data. We’re mainly touring Austria but we couldn’t resist a cycle into counties as they’re so close. Old Eastern Block is an added attraction. We plan to visit Prague on the way home to complete the set.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
A bit of a tragic place.

My grandmother was born just up the road in Bratislava (Czechoslovakia) and lived there until he got married.
Her Aunt and Cousins lived just down the road in Kittsee (Austria)
As a kid she would cycle there for lunch, or get a lift after school with her (Austrian) uncle as he worked in Bratislava.
It was all part of the Austro-Hungarian empire then, as now, no borders.

Then came WW2 and then the Iron Curtain.
Her husband and two of the four children managed to escape to West Germany in 1956.
She was not allowed to see her children or the rest of the western family for 30 years until she retired in the late 1970's, by which time most of the older generation had died.

OP
OP
brynric

brynric

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
That is indeed a sad reflection on the setting. A little rusty barbed wire is all that remains as a reminder of a terrible time.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
A bit of a tragic place.

My grandmother was born just up the road in Bratislava (Czechoslovakia) and lived there until he got married.
Her Aunt and Cousins lived just down the road in Kittsee (Austria)
As a kid she would cycle there for lunch, or get a lift after school with her (Austrian) uncle as he worked in Bratislava.
It was all part of the Austro-Hungarian empire then, as now, no borders.

Then came WW2 and then the Iron Curtain.
Her husband and two of the four children managed to escape to West Germany in 1956.
She was not allowed to see her children or the rest of the western family for 30 years until she retired in the late 1970's, by which time most of the older generation had died.

Basia and I might not have been together now if her Sister had not managed to get out of Poland to London on a visa and then entered an arranged marriage in order to stay there.

A few years later Basia managed to get a visa to visit her, we met, she was still married, I kept in touch, husband died and a few years later I visited her.................and here we are after 11 years together.

The Iron Curtain could have stopped that progression happening.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back