what windows - vanpimps v justkampers v any other (1 Viewer)

ressull

Free Member
Aug 23, 2020
Funster No
MH
currently looking
Hi guys, i recently bought an L4H2 boxer which i'm at the early stages of converting into 4 berth camper.

insulation and flooring done and now looking to order windows.

i've found vanmpimps.co.uk and justkampers.com which do boxer rear glass.

Justkampers are cheaper, although i thought i'd check on here first to hear of any good or bad experiences of either product or any other recommendations on where to buy.

Looking to put the following:

Near side fixed
Near side opening (middle window)
Off side opening

thanks

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
What type of window are you wanting? flush bonded double glazed plastic or framed window.

Each have benefits and disadvantages.

Cheers James

Toby28

Free Member
Jun 26, 2019
Pembrokeshire. Wales
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Got mine from vanpimps. Good prices when bought as a package. Quick delivery and includes fixing kit.
Really pleased with these guys and have now bought several items from them.

OP
OP
R

ressull

Free Member
Aug 23, 2020
Funster No
MH
currently looking
Thanks guys, it is flush bonded windows I’m looking for. Appreciate they have their disadvantages though. Sounds like one up to van pimps so far 😉

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
R

ressull

Free Member
Aug 23, 2020
Funster No
MH
currently looking
Toby, how dark are the van pimps windows? Can you see inside from outside?

Nov 10, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Started in 2013
I used vanpimps for mine, I bought the kit for the 6mt long wheelbase Citroen Relay. They were a perfect fit and look great and are quite dark looking at them from outside. I changed the layout of the van after buying the glass and have the nearside rear one left over (that's the one that is shaped to fit over the SLD rail)

OP
OP
R

ressull

Free Member
Aug 23, 2020
Funster No
MH
currently looking
I used vanpimps for mine, I bought the kit for the 6mt long wheelbase Citroen Relay. They were a perfect fit and look great and are quite dark looking at them from outside. I changed the layout of the van after buying the glass and have the nearside rear one left over (that's the one that is shaped to fit over the SLD rail)
Thanks , it’s the 6m long version I have in the boxer. Could be interested in your leftover window? Although it may be more hassle with postage. Where are you based? I’m in Scotland . Thanks

Nov 10, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Started in 2013
Thanks , it’s the 6m long version I have in the boxer. Could be interested in your leftover window? Although it may be more hassle with postage. Where are you based? I’m in Scotland . Thanks
Yes that could be a problem as I am in cornwall, couldn't get much further apart.

OP
OP
R

ressull

Free Member
Aug 23, 2020
Funster No
MH
currently looking
Out of interest, how did you cut yours? Was planning to use jigsaw/drill although I hear good things about nibblers (although I’d need to buy one whereas I have a jigsaw)

Floydster

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 21, 2013
Where ever I lay my hat
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A lifetime
Jigsaw is fine take it easy and remember to mask up to catch the swarf, and clean up well afterwards otherwise you'll get little rusty marks.

Nov 10, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Started in 2013
Out of interest, how did you cut yours? Was planning to use jigsaw/drill although I hear good things about nibblers (although I’d need to buy one whereas I have a jigsaw)
I used a nibbler, just a cheap drill attachment. Drill one hole and away you go, but don't forget to protect everywhere with cloth or polythene sheet to stop the the little shards of metal falling into the cills etc. Also after cutting along the top add some tape across the gap so that when you finish the cut the piece you cut out doesn't fall and damage the side of your van.
You can use the nibbler from inside, so easy to follow the window shape. I think you will struggle to do that with a jigsaw because of the structure.

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
I used a 115mm angle grinder with cutting disc easy job and most of the sparks went outside the van. I had insulation in place do them would have melted into that anyway.

I was supprised how thick the panels were.

Cheers James

OP
OP
R

ressull

Free Member
Aug 23, 2020
Funster No
MH
currently looking
Thanks for replies guys - 3 answers and 3 different methods lol. I like the idea of cutting from inside to follow panels. I never feel very confident with a grinder in terms of accuracy so probably swaying towards drill bit style nibbler

Toby28

Free Member
Jun 26, 2019
Pembrokeshire. Wales
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I used a disc cutter with a very fine disc. Easy job. Then just finish curves with normal grinder.
As already mentioned make sure you cover everything to catch sparks

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
VanPimps for my van, nice and clean flush design. Remember they are auto glass single glazed so you should think about heating and heat loss in winter. I made up insulated foil pads that fit against the windows these retain the heat within the van.
forgot to mention they are dark tints so privacy is assured.

OP
OP
R

ressull

Free Member
Aug 23, 2020
Funster No
MH
currently looking
VanPimps for my van, nice and clean flush design. Remember they are auto glass single glazed so you should think about heating and heat loss in winter. I made up insulated foil pads that fit against the windows these retain the heat within the van.
forgot to mention they are dark tints so privacy is assured.
Thanks, I’ve got a diesel heater to install. Pads sound like a good idea, il likely have some insulation board left over which I could maybe wrap on carpet for night time

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Thanks, I’ve got a diesel heater to install. Pads sound like a good idea, il likely have some insulation board left over which I could maybe wrap on carpet for night time
Give me a couple days to visit my cellar where I have some foil material left and I can let you know the name and I will take some photos so you can see what we have made. They need to be flexible for storage.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Insulation roll as promised
I used Metal foil tape to tape the edges.
good look

OP
OP
R

ressull

Free Member
Aug 23, 2020
Funster No
MH
currently looking
Insulation roll as promised
I used Metal foil tape to tape the edges.
good look
Thanks, I know what you mean now. I think that’s the same stuff I have under floor (on top of insulation board).

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back