What’s the cutoff point to refuse a motorhome (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Al n Val

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
West Yorkshire occasionally
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
Update!

i’ve been advised that the new boiler is being fitted this coming thursday so hopefully we’ll have a fully working hot water/heating system for the first time.

All the other warranty work i’ve been assured will be sorted as and when Rapido authorise it and parts start arriving.

Then after the weekend we’re going down to see nigelivy at off grid power solutions for a bit of an upgrade 👍

Upvote 0
Jun 5, 2019
Funster No
MH
Pilote
Exp
Just about enough
Is there a time limit of owning a motorhome that you can refuse it

asking for a friend 😉🤣
I haven’t read all the responses but if it hasn’t already been mentioned the CRA2015 gives you 6 years. Providing you can prove the fault was present at the time of purchase.

Upvote 0
Sep 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
Is there a time limit of owning a motorhome that you can refuse it

asking for a friend 😉🤣
Look at the consumer rights act 2015 and have a look to see if you qualify for a section 75 claim

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Aug 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 Titaniu
Exp
Since 2018
Clearly Autotrail = Autofail!!!! but seriously the dealer does not seem to be holding a duty of care , from reading this they dont seem to be pro-active at all,,, The original van from factory had issues , and they were not sorted ,, the continuing issues with £140k item is very concerning ,, I think it is time to get proper legal advice ... Go at the dealer not the factory
Not an Autotrail, that was their previous vehicle and perfect for 3 years, this is a range-topper Rapido i1090

Upvote 0
Oct 20, 2021
Framlingham, Woodbridge, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 774
Exp
Since 2017
We paid £95k for a Swift, we also had a long, long list of faults, mostly down to poor workmanship and cheap materials under the glossy trim. Suspect we have the same dealer as you mentioned all those facilities who were pretty useless and if I hadn’t been involved in engineering for many years we would have had countless return trips with equally poor repairs and a 2-3 month wait for an appointment each time. Every trip we’ve had has me using my ( now extensive) tool kit repairing poor build and in many cases poor design. Do any of their Directors take random models off the line for trips? I ran a successful firm for 40 years and the cliqued mantra was always “ customer is king”, I’m horrified at the standards of this industry and the acceptance that a new MH is a “project”. Draft in some quality guys from the automotive industry would be a good start. The UK manufacturers smack of British Leyland mentality to me. Our Adria 670 was brilliant over 5 years of ownership, the Swift has been heartache and frustration all the way although finally it’s in good shape, no thanks to the dealer or Swift.

Upvote 0
Oct 8, 2016
Tunbridge Wells
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
I'm a newbie
I believe it boils down to whether you’ve been deemed to have accepted the vehicle. After that the dealer reserves the right to repair. If the vehicle was bought using finance then contact the finance company as they have a joint responsibility along with the dealer to supply you with a product that works. They would want the dealer to set a timeline for full resolution.

Upvote 0

Smokaijo

LIFE MEMBER
May 15, 2023
Guildford, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 679
Exp
My partner & I are newbies and have a fully adapted motorhome for myself with my electric wheelchair
Let’s just say “his” Autotrail Comanche whilst in the 3 years of ownership was an absolute pleasure to own and more or less fault free compared to “his” present one 😉

The list of faults and reoccurring faults is longer than the Magna Carta, the dealer so far has been good but patience is now starting to wear a bit thin and it’s now out of warranty, so 2 years has gone buy and things are still not resolved.

It’s the time taken to sort the issues out that’s been one of the bugbears, the dealer has quoted September the other day and they’ve had the moho since the end of March this year for service and warranty work. It’s still there now waiting for a new Alde boiler to be fitted 😟 which is only one of a very long list of jobs needing doing.

The problem “he” sees is, to start again with another brand new vehicle it will,

1. cost around another £65-85k to replace it. on top of the original outlay of £140.

2. probably start again with all the issues a new motorhome comes with, and if anyone says they don’t then they’re lying.

3. if changing to another dealer probably one who’s farer away from his home than his present dealer is, (an hour ish) so even more of a drag.

So I may have answered the original question if it’s already past the “time to refuse it” date.

Should this one be a keeper once all the issues have been sorted, the moho is lovely and does everything you’d want it to, it has space and comfort and style and tbh he (we😀) love it.

If anyone wants a list of the issues typing out to read then book a morning off work to go through them all, and i’m serious 😱

For instance the boiler was empty of fluid at handover 2 years ago and it’s still not sorted 🥵

paid for 13ltrs of Alde fluid to try to keep the boiler topped up and the dealer is refusing to refund it saying it’s Alde’s issue not there’s

Surely the dealer are the ones the contract is with i’d have thought
Sadly you are not the only one with Rapido issues and without naming them I’m pretty sure the dealer is the same one my friend bought his from and he’s now renamed his Moho “The Big Lemon” because it’s still having issues however he too could have refused it but it’s gone too far now so he decided to keep it 😳

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Al n Val

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
I have not followed this thread for a while.

Has the OP taken several posters advice to engage a Solicitor?

No because I feel that would be detrimental at this moment in time, the new boiler is being fitted as I type this and i've had it it writing (email) that all the other jobs will be sorted under warranty as and when the parts needed come into stock

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
No because I feel that would be detrimental at this moment in time, the new boiler is being fitted as I type this and i've had it it writing (email) that all the other jobs will be sorted under warranty as and when the parts needed come into stock

The original question on your OP was when is the time limit for rejection.

From your answer above I assume you have decided not to reject, so the need for advice on rejection is not needed.

Upvote 0
Aug 4, 2010
Potton, Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
I think what Carpmart has suggested is your best bet if you don't want to go down the legal route. The other alternative is to buy another van and sell this one back to the dealer for the price you paid less VAT. I don't really see what other alternatives you have.

I hope you get it sorted to your satisfaction. Good Luck

Upvote 0

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Good to hear Al👍👍

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Al n Val

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
Further update

well the boiler is fitted and afaik is working perfectly, all the other jobs are waiting on warranty confirmation from Rapido which I know takes time.

Were at the dealers now for the weekend, the sun is out, i’ve had a few pints of Guinness in Newark and we’ve fallen in love again with the motorhome and each other so it’s all looking rosy again.

Cirencester tomorrow then Offgrid Power Solutions tuesday before heading home and picking out some nice THS sites for the next week or 2.

The dealer has come up trumps eventually and all is looking good with the world 👍

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
We paid £95k for a Swift, we also had a long, long list of faults, mostly down to poor workmanship and cheap materials under the glossy trim. Suspect we have the same dealer as you mentioned all those facilities who were pretty useless and if I hadn’t been involved in engineering for many years we would have had countless return trips with equally poor repairs and a 2-3 month wait for an appointment each time. Every trip we’ve had has me using my ( now extensive) tool kit repairing poor build and in many cases poor design. Do any of their Directors take random models off the line for trips? I ran a successful firm for 40 years and the cliqued mantra was always “ customer is king”, I’m horrified at the standards of this industry and the acceptance that a new MH is a “project”. Draft in some quality guys from the automotive industry would be a good start. The UK manufacturers smack of British Leyland mentality to me. Our Adria 670 was brilliant over 5 years of ownership, the Swift has been heartache and frustration all the way although finally it’s in good shape, no thanks to the dealer or Swift.
Oi,
I resemble that remark about British Leyland, I worked in the Albion Motors factory where we put out quality products. We increased the warranty on LDV van axles from 12 to 24 months due to our better engineering. The plant is now owned by American Axle and Manufacturing.

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2023
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet.
Oi,
I resemble that remark about British Leyland, I worked in the Albion Motors factory where we put out quality products. We increased the warranty on LDV van axles from 12 to 24 months due to our better engineering. The plant is now owned by American Axle and Manufacturing.
My Dad worked at British Leyland. He was born in Leyland too. I was born in Preston. I live down south now but Lancashire will always be very special.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back