LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Of course it's not a scam, all relevant price/weight details are clearly available on the packaging, buyer be(a)ware! ;)
Especially in Asda where shelf pricing (especially £/Kg &c) are not always accurate.

Another scam to watch out for is special offers.
Example - a few weeks ago Asda were selling Princes tinned fruit at 65p a tin. Then they increased the price to £1 a can and put on a "special" offer of £2 for £1.50, a hidden price increase of 15%.

androidGB

Free Member
Dec 28, 2009
Bristol
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
The directors of any company have a legal obligation to maximise profits for their shareholders.

This law protects all folk with pensions :)

Not sure about that. Profit is only one aspect of running a business, to concentrate on that alone whilst ignoring other factors could result in the business failing eg Banks

Andrew

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The directors of any company have a legal obligation to maximise profits for their shareholders.
Not sure about that. Profit is only one aspect of running a business, to concentrate on that alone whilst ignoring other factors could result in the business failing eg Banks

Andrew
The duty is actually to promote the success of the company (S172, Companies Act 2006). That includes maximising profits but not to the extent that it is detrimental in other ways.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

?

Deleted User
The missus had a recipe for a nice casserole for tonight's tea. It said 5 carrots so she sent me to the shop.

They only sold bags of 4. I was extremely distressed.

If I bought 4, the missus would be distraught.
If I bought 8, she would say I'm wasting our savings.

I'm sat outside the supermercado hoping you good folk can best advise please ?

A real man would have opened another beer and told the lazy git to ho herself. HTH

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Or, as already said, use your local butcher, where you can buy mince by the gram. The little one in our village is fantastic, never walked past without a customer being served in there. On Saturday, the line is out the door. Use him or loose him, then where would you be able to buy a decent sausage. Certainly not at Waitrose or the like. :)

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
The missus had a recipe for a nice casserole for tonight's tea. It said 5 carrots so she sent me to the shop.
They only sold bags of 4. I was extremely distressed.
If I bought 4, the missus would be distraught.
If I bought 8, she would say I'm wasting our savings.
Break one in half?

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
We use a great farm shop/local game butcher, the quality is typically much superior to supermarket chains (no excess water when cooking etc) and is not more expensive. Even the dogs get their food from there, tubes of minced up beef offal for £1 each to accompany their kibble.

When I say "local", it's actually a 20 minute drive into the country, but worth it.

Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
Buy from butchers much better quality we got 2lb mince today for £5 ok may not be cheapest but def taste difference.

androidGB

Free Member
Dec 28, 2009
Bristol
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
The duty is actually to promote the success of the company (S172, Companies Act 2006). That includes maximising profits but not to the extent that it is detrimental in other ways.
Exactly

Oct 17, 2013
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact
Exp
Since 2013
I subscribe to the chuck it in and taste school of cooking, so not worried about size of pack, I just use proportionate amounts of other ingredients. No complaints so far and no taste testers poisoned

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Went into my local Waitrose yesterday to buy some minced beef and was shocked to see that none of their packs are in a full 500g size. Most recipes call for 500g of minced beef so why are they short changing us. Can't remember what the price of a 500g was last time I bought it but will look in the freezer to see if I still have one. 100g is quite a shortfall on weight for roughly the same price as the 500g pack.
I am going to make the Mary Berry Mexican tortilla bake which by the way is very nice but now I am 100g short on the mince I will have to try to reduce the liquids in the recipe.
Think I will have to write to Waitrose to ask them why they have changed their packaging size.
Rant over!

I didn't come across this thread until yesterday so when I was in Waitrose at Rickmansworth today I payed special interest inside the mince display. Waitrose unlike many supermarkets tends to support quality as do most of those who shop there. Their pre-packed mince was in both 400g and 500g packs, if you require a different quantity then the butchery counter can offer any amount requested.

If you want quality then shop at Waitrose if you prefer to shop on price then there are plenty of alternatives.:)(y)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If you want quality then shop at Waitrose if you prefer to shop on price then there are plenty of alternatives.:)(y)
Oh that has to be challenged! Jay Rayner described Waitrose as a "fancy supermarket chain where the godless middle-classes go to worship."
However, the likes of Lidl are doing well because folk have discovered the only thing you compromise on is choice, not quality. And price-wise there isn't a lot to choose between Tesco, Waitrose or Sainsbury these days.

Reactions: kcy
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Oh that has to be challenged! Jay Rayner described Waitrose as a "fancy supermarket chain where the godless middle-classes go to worship."
However, the likes of Lidl are doing well because folk have discovered the only thing you compromise on is choice, not quality. And price-wise there isn't a lot to choose between Tesco, Waitrose or Sainsbury these days.
Waitrose do have an essential range if you fancy giving it a try, it will match any of the low price competitors , you might find the quality of the essential range will still outstrips the rest.
Waitrose normal, however, is the quality product it always was and is still desired by the godless middle classes who shop on quality not just price. (y);)

kcy

Free Member
Nov 7, 2013
east yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chausson flash
Exp
since 2012
I haven't read all the posts but it seems to be about supermarket mince. I go into my butchers and ask for a pound of mince. Hey presto! I get a pound of mince from a bullock that was bred down the road. But then I'm old fashioned.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
They only sold bags of 4. I was extremely distressed. If I bought 4, the missus would be distraught. If I bought 8, she would say I'm wasting our savings.

At least you're seeking advice unlike the bloke whose missus told him to go to the store and buy a carton of milk and if they have free range eggs, get six." He came back with 6 cartons of milk She said, "why the hell did you buy six cartons of milk?"

"They had free range eggs."

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back