VW camper 6.1 phased out. (1 Viewer)

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I read that from mid 2024 VW are stopping the 6.1 vehicle and will be producing another van in conjunction with Ford.

Anyone heard more about this?

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
3+
Yep. The next Transporter will be a Transit Custom in disguise,made in Turkey.

Not sure what it means for the California. They have shown concepts on the ID Buzz but I think were struggling with the weight.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 17, 2019
St Leonards, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
Converted caravanner!

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I'm surprised at that, selling the T vans must be like printing money for vw 🤣
Yup but as everything is going electric maybe it’s a stop gap and the is buzz will be the new transporter.

Must be a nightmare for manufacturers

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Yup but as everything is going electric maybe it’s a stop gap and the is buzz will be the new transporter.

Must be a nightmare for manufacturers
The Buzz is smaller and its shape is much less square. It's also very heavy before you start cramming it full of furniture. So far, it's not looking like a great base for a campervan.

Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
Yep. The next Transporter will be a Transit Custom in disguise,made in Turkey.

Not sure what it means for the California. They have shown concepts on the ID Buzz but I think were struggling with the weight.
The next California is being built on the VW Multivan XL version, and will be a hybrid vehicle. There have already been press releases issued to this effect. So the T6.1 Calis are the last based on the Transporter platform. Orders for new T6.1s were stopped earlier this year, although of course some are still in production.

Some campers ARE being built on the ID Buzz, but they're really not much more than day vans. Apart from being smaller than the Transporter (which in itself isn't an issue, very nice campers are built on Caddys and other smaller vans), they are 'rounder' in shape which means there's less internal space.

I'm not a great fan of the style of the Multivan, but every time a new version of the Transporter was released, the 'dub forums were flooded with people saying how much they hated it - until a few months after release when people were raving about the conversions which were being done on the new vans.

I'm likely to be running my current Transporter based camper for a some while longer. Possibly moving to a MAN MWB conversion once I'm (semi)retired and touring for longer periods than I am now.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back