Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
needing a new van alarm
I want to fit a new alarm nothing to technical but must met insurance specifications
bill

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Generally they have to be Thatcham approved with installers certification for the insurers.

Insurance Approved Alarms
Insurance approved alarms are systems that are ‘Thatcham Approved’. This is a process where manufacturers submit their products to the Motor Insurance Repair Research Centre (MIRRC) based in Thatcham, for vigorous testing against benchmark standards. Once passed systems can be marketed as ‘Thatcham Approved Cat 1 Car Alarms’ or ‘Cat 2 Immobiliser’ devices.

This process is quite expensive for manufacturers and consequently there are many alarm products that are not approved. Click here to find a list of Broken Link Removed devices (scroll to page 16). Please note this page also contains a list of deleted devices.

We fit aftermarket systems from Clifford, Avital, Hornet, Metasystem, Sigma, Sterling, Toad and Viper. However we can also verify other systems on the Thatcham list.

It is important to note that these are aftermarket systems and not OEM. Original Equipment Manufacture (OEM) devices are fitted at the time of vehicle manufacture and are often an integral part of the car.

Have a look at the link below: But I warn you its 109 pages and pretty confusing.

http://www.thatcham.org/files/pdf/compliance.pdf

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011

No alarm on my van Bill......... (don't tell anyone)

Asked my insurer (Caravanguard) how much my premium would be reduced by fitting a Thatcham Approved Alarm - only £20 a year:(........ the van hasn't needed one for the last 24 years.... why would I now spend £300?

:)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Very true. We were required to fit a top of the line alarm on the family Golf GTI in 1996. Cost hundreds of pounds and even though we kept it 16 years we never got our money back.

But in those times you could not insure a GTI without one. :(

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Use these on the garden sheds

Broken Link Removed