Using MiFi to provide WiFi at home (1 Viewer)

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
At home we have BT broadband with the ‘unbreakable’ package which adds a wifi router. Todate the broadband has not failed but have tested the fall over and the mobile element, it works but the Wi-Fi element is not as fast as the broadband service. Not sure we would go from a fixed service as it is more robust than the vaguries of the mobile service. As others have pointed out the mobile service does slow down at night for whatever reason.

Having said the above if you’re looking to save money and not too bothered about speed or a reliable service then go for it, but it’s not for us.

DaveFromBarrow

Free Member
Sep 11, 2020
Aboyne
Funster No
MH
Apache 634
Exp
Since 2020
We use a NETGEAR Nighthawk 5G Router and an unlimited SIM from EE. Monthly is circa £30. The Netgear was expensive. Works very well, and we'll simply buy a French SIM when we go over there. Only getting circa 12 down at home (rural Scotland) I sometimes use the router at home as well for uploading because 4G upload is decent.

As 5G rolls out, mobile connectivity will keep improving. I take the router with me when going to meetings; here's what I got sat in a client's office in Alloa this week.

d

Screenshot 2023-03-02 at 11.51.20.png

Jan 16, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 854f
Exp
Since 2012
After doing a bit of reading and research on here and elsewhere I think I'm going to go for a Teltonika router (for home and van) and a Poyntings external antenna (for the van). Question is which models as I'm far from an expert and find the technology and specifications a little baffling.

So on the Teltonika front I was thinking either the RUT951 or 955. On the antenna front a Poynting MIMO-3-12 V2.

Am I on the right lines? Any advice on which model numbers to choose would be gratefully received.
Have a look here plus others he has done

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 3, 2020
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class Low Profile
Exp
25 years +
Wandering around the NEC last week and dropped by at the Motorhome WIFI stand as I’m wanting to install a MiFi in the van. I was shown their latest range of setups, some of which are portable and described as being able to used within the home as well as in the van.

This got me thinking because I’ve a quite poor broadband connection at home and using a MiFi/WiFi system to service both the van and the home sounds attractive.

Have any other funsters installed a MiFi system in their motorhome that they also use to provide a WiFi system in their home?
I have a Huawei E5785 with a Smarty pay-monthly SIM card (£10/month for 60GB) that I use connected to a roof-top aerial in the motorhome or external aerial when used in the house. Both setups work well for me, and the Huawei device usually gets a stronger mobile signal than our mobile phones. It has proved to be handy when the landline at home is lost due to storm damage, etc.

Sep 24, 2013
swansea
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
3 years
Wandering around the NEC last week and dropped by at the Motorhome WIFI stand as I’m wanting to install a MiFi in the van. I was shown their latest range of setups, some of which are portable and described as being able to used within the home as well as in the van.

This got me thinking because I’ve a quite poor broadband connection at home and using a MiFi/WiFi system to service both the van and the home sounds attractive.

Have any other funsters installed a MiFi system in their motorhome that they also use to provide a WiFi system in their home?
If you have a good mobile deal just tether your phone.

OP
OP
L

Lizbiebrowne

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2020
Teesside
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2019.
I would start any investigation Lizbiebrowne with working out how many devices you want to use on the mobile WiFi (tablet / computer, security, TV streaming, Google hub / Alexa etc) and find out how much data you use a month.

Then find out what network(s) gives the best speed in your area. Some service providers are a bit optimistic with their published data speeds but it will help you eliminate the weakest ones. I'd then look for the best deals available for the anticipated data you need. Lebara works well for me and uses the Vodafone network. It is better for me than EE which is my phone contract.

I would then get / borrow a mifi and test out the connection, speed etc of a cheap 30 day sim and see how effective it is for some of the things you plan to use it for. If that works, get a better 4g router and either extend the sim contract or get another deal. If you need to retain WiFi whilst away (eg for your Ring doorbell), you could consider getting two sims which could still be cheaper than a landline broadband, especially if the second sim is only activated when you go away.
Following your advice I ordered a £10 SIM from EE and compared that network with that of my current network provider Smarty using my iPhone 12:
1678024479442.png

The network speed increases as you go both higher and westwards through the house with the best reception being in the loft. A download speed of 70 Mbps on EE vs 19 Mbps on Smarty. They're single readings so subject to some error, if I'd more time I take several reading and use an average. Still I think the trend is real.

If I can obtain this speed with the Teltonika router, and presumably that's not an unrealistic expectation, I'd be very happy. I have power in my loft and a network connection to the switch in a downstairs cupboard that connects to all my other wired connections. I've 6 weeks left on my Broadband contract so this should give enough time to evaluate the Teltonika router and EE before pulling the plug on the Broadband.

OP
OP
L

Lizbiebrowne

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2020
Teesside
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2019.
That's what we currently use in the van but we often have to put the phone onto the roof to get a good signal. Especially needed when we away in Spain during October and November when watching Strictly is de rigour.

No use in the house though. The one of us whose phone was the hotspot wouldn't be able to go out when the tele was on.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Following your advice I ordered a £10 SIM from EE and compared that network with that of my current network provider Smarty using my iPhone 12:
View attachment 723322

The network speed increases as you go both higher and westwards through the house with the best reception being in the loft. A download speed of 70 Mbps on EE vs 19 Mbps on Smarty. They're single readings so subject to some error, if I'd more time I take several reading and use an average. Still I think the trend is real.

If I can obtain this speed with the Teltonika router, and presumably that's not an unrealistic expectation, I'd be very happy. I have power in my loft and a network connection to the switch in a downstairs cupboard that connects to all my other wired connections. I've 6 weeks left on my Broadband contract so this should give enough time to evaluate the Teltonika router and EE before pulling the plug on the Broadband.
Impressive. That would save a decent amount on your BB bill. What have you planned for when you go away? Will you take the sim with you or use a second one?

Mar 15, 2022
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail F60
Exp
Since March 2022
Hi All,
This thread seems to be similar to the one I started recently about using a router with a landline telephone (solution is successful, so far!).
For the avoidance of doubt, when I refer to an unlimited SIM, I am referring to Unlimited Data, Texts and Voice minutes. My SIM is currently £20/month from SMARTY and meets my needs (I am not a power-user).
Cheers
Bob

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
As others have pointed out the mobile service does slow down at night for whatever reason.
Here at our house in spain it gets better .far better.
and not too bothered about speed or a reliable service
both of which you won't get here where I live.
Which only works if you have a signal for it at home?
When I was in the Uk last year with the van parked on our daughter's drive with the Yoigo sim in the router in the van & me sat in her back garden I found I had a choice of my Digi mobile data , wifi from their house, wifi from their office system (3m away) or my Yoigo wifi from the van.On automatic the strongest signal was always from the van followed by Digi spanish . Hopefully this year they will have the fibre connected to the house

Apr 21, 2015
lowestoft
Funster No
MH
c class i think
Exp
since 2012
We’ve just come back from Spain and used a TPlink mifi with a Popit 100gb SIM card. Watched films ( via firestick) and did stuff on the phones.took a bit of setting up of the SIM card which my son did as he understands this tech stuff

Sep 28, 2021
West Lothian, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner LyseoTD690G
Exp
Since 2019

I done this several years back but the other way around. Before Virgin came to our area. Could only get 11mbps with BT so bought a Huawei Mifi and 3 Sim which gave me 70 ish Mbps in the house.

After Virgin installed a few years ago that router moved into the Motorhome where it still was until the weekend, a few years old now but still worked well. I have a monthly Vodafone Sim on 150gb for £11 and a monthly Smarty Sim on 120gb for £10 and interchange them as needed depending on location.

Actually just upgraded the router to the Netgear Nighthawk M2 which Id been looking at for a while, seriously outperforms the Huawei one and I found one on Amazon Warehouse last week for a great price.

If going to use it at home and have some real needs with multiple users and devices take a look at the Netgear Nighthawk, expensive but you get what you pay for ultimately.

NETGEAR 4G Router with Sim Slot Unlocked MR2100 - Download Speeds of up 2 Gbps | WiFi Connect up to 20 Devices | Mobile wifi Router | Mifi Device https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07SJFCZKG/?tag=mhf04-21 but look in the warehouse.

Oct 5, 2019
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
im a newbie
If you have some of the smart heating systems, CCTV, Ring doorbells, or similar you still need an active broadband service even when you have gone away. Makes picking up your sole MiFi router and putting in the van a bit of a challenge.
hi i have a 3 mobile router at home i get 300 mbs i take the sim out take it away with us giving me unlimited data in the uk ,,,i then stick a smarty sim in the home router for £6 and that looks after cameras, heating,, if i need it ,,3 was £11 for first 6 months ,,then £22 for the reaming 18 months ,,i think its a bargain as no longer need bt line ,,

Mar 7, 2018
Swindon, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria izola 5687sp
Exp
since 2018
After doing a bit of reading and research on here and elsewhere I think I'm going to go for a Teltonika router (for home and van) and a Poyntings external antenna (for the van). Question is which models as I'm far from an expert and find the technology and specifications a little baffling.

So on the Teltonika front I was thinking either the RUT951 or 955. On the antenna front a Poynting MIMO-3-12 V2.

Am I on the right lines? Any advice on which model numbers to choose would be gratefully received.
Did you go for it, if so any feedback as I think I'm going down the same route

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
hi i have a 3 mobile router at home i get 300 mbs i take the sim out take it away with us giving me unlimited data in the uk ,,,i then stick a smarty sim in the home router for £6 and that looks after cameras, heating,, if i need it ,,3 was £11 for first 6 months ,,then £22 for the reaming 18 months ,,i think its a bargain as no longer need bt line ,,
Understand the cheap deal but these days you don’t have to have a landline for broadband (yes I know it’s still over copper or fibre) and relatively cheap

Jan 27, 2023
Leyland
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640
I’ve just bought a Teltonika RUTX11 & a Poynting MIMO-3-V2-15 antenna with the view to installing on the MH & using as home Wi-Fi. Best signal in my area is Vodaphone.
My daughter has a Lebara (Vodaphone) sim & stood in the bedroom I was getting 33Mbps. I have bought a 20Gb sim for £1.99 a month for 3 months to test it out (before I buy an unlimited data sim). Just put the antenna out of the roof vent and Lebara sim in RUTX11 and tested Wi-Fi from bedroom & got 56Mbps. WOW. Tested watching Netflix on tv and not hiccup but it was in the afternoon. Now need to test during the evening to see if it can deal with every household in the area pulling from the signal 🤷‍♂️. So far so good.
Check your mast/provider on Cellmapper.net

OP
OP
L

Lizbiebrowne

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2020
Teesside
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2019.
Did you go for it, if so any feedback as I think I'm going down the same route
I did but without success. I bought a Teltonika RUT956 router and a Poynting MIMO-3-V2-15 antenna and found that I could not achieve anywhere near the download speeds with this setup and my EE SIM card that I could with the same card in my iPhone 12 so I returned them. Incidentally, I bought them from Solwise who were very helpful and provided me with a lot of technical help (and they give a 10% discount with the code EXPLOREVAN).

Mar 7, 2018
Swindon, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria izola 5687sp
Exp
since 2018
I did but without success. I bought a Teltonika RUT956 router and a Poynting MIMO-3-V2-15 antenna and found that I could not achieve anywhere near the download speeds with this setup and my EE SIM card that I could with the same card in my iPhone 12 so I returned them. Incidentally, I bought them from Solwise who were very helpful and provided me with a lot of technical help (and they give a 10% discount with the code EXPLOREVAN).
Thanks for the feedback
But
Oh that’s not good I’m just about to order exactly the same set up. Everything Ive read says how good the set up is
Bit nervous now spending that sort of money as I will need to be able to rely on the WiFi in the van.
Did solwise give any sort of explanation. Even putting my phone sim in a cheap huawei still gives me better reception.
Tony

OP
OP
L

Lizbiebrowne

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2020
Teesside
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2019.
Thanks for the feedback
But
Oh that’s not good I’m just about to order exactly the same set up. Everything Ive read says how good the set up is
Bit nervous now spending that sort of money as I will need to be able to rely on the WiFi in the van.
Did solwise give any sort of explanation. Even putting my phone sim in a cheap huawei still gives me better reception.
Tony
I was recommended by them to try the TCR100 instead of the RUT956 router which was a cheaper at £190. But I was a little downhearted by the experience so I sent it all back. The problem I have is that I don't really understand the technical side of to it so it's difficult to make a judgement. I was told the iPhone was a sophisticated beast and the routers less so, but I'm surprised the Teltonika router and Poynting antenna were so poor relative to my iPhone with download speeds only 10-20% of those I was expecting. That's seems odd.

Mar 7, 2018
Swindon, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria izola 5687sp
Exp
since 2018
Hi Bern8
Am i correct in thinking Cellmapper.net is not available for ios.
If so anyone one have an alternative.
Thanks in advance
Tony

Mar 7, 2018
Swindon, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria izola 5687sp
Exp
since 2018
Tony, I just accessed the website on my iPad so it should work
I'm obviously doing something wrong
Ah its only available as an app on android or windows but fully available in browser
I now need to learn how to use it properly
Thanks for your help

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
I also found these guys https://www.netxl.com/
never heard of them but they have 5 star rating on trustpilot
came in about £50 cheaper than solwise

That’s where I bought my Poynting from. Give then a call to discuss and you may receive 10% discount as well.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back