LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Fulll virgin fibre to the property, added the EERO mesh system 3 pack for some dead spots and to get down to the gargage/gym 30 metres down the garden
Works a treat :)

OP
OP
AndyPK

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
Fulll virgin fibre to the property, added the EERO mesh system 3 pack for some dead spots and to get down to the gargage/gym 30 metres down the garden
Works a treat :)

‘Full fibre to the property’ - if only!!!:cautious:

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
‘Full fibre to the property’ - if only!!!:cautious:
I feel your pain, my business has only average 10mb...with 30 pcs in it??? and thats WITH a leased line, currently fingers crossed BT are managing to upgrade us on 20th august finally !!!!

OP
OP
AndyPK

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Erm, tablet is Lenovo, laptop is Asus, operating system? Chrome? browser Google? I dunno! I am a computer numpty!!! I just muddle my way!
On your tablet, what happens when you click on the emoji symbol in the menu bar when posting on the forum? Something or nothing? Any ‘error messages’? :unsure: Is the emoji symbol even there?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I feel your pain, my business has only average 10mb...with 30 pcs in it??? and thats WITH a leased line, currently fingers crossed BT are managing to upgrade us on 20th august finally !!!!
That's slow these days I thought mine was slow at 44mb/s.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 16, 2017
Almuñécar, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low Profile - Globebus T7
Our fibre optic enters in the upstairs back bedroom (aka "office") where the router is, doling out 300mb asymmetric with 5ghz as well as 2.4 upstairs. Our internal walls are plastered brick, the floors concrete with rebar - a typical build for Spain. The TV, firestick and an Echo are downstairs. At present we use a tplink powerline adapter which gives us 2.4gig WiFi downstairs, giving an avg 45Mbps down but it is susceptible to power glitches and noise causing drop outs. Also the units are quite old now so suspect they are starting to fail. The WiFi signal from upstairs arrives downstairs at the tv with a signal strength of only - 80db and 20Mbps down, 5Mbps up speed (hence the use of the powerline).
Question is: As the WiFi signal is so downgraded by the time it gets downstairs, would a mesh setup actually improve the signal downstairs.
I can see the remote mesh broadcasting a strong signal downstairs, but won't its communication with the master unit upstairs be downgraded so I wouldn't actually gain anything?

OP
OP
AndyPK

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Our fibre optic enters in the upstairs back bedroom (aka "office") where the router is, doling out 300mb asymmetric with 5ghz as well as 2.4 upstairs. Our internal walls are plastered brick, the floors concrete with rebar - a typical build for Spain. The TV, firestick and an Echo are downstairs. At present we use a tplink powerline adapter which gives us 2.4gig WiFi downstairs, giving an avg 45Mbps down but it is susceptible to power glitches and noise causing drop outs. Also the units are quite old now so suspect they are starting to fail. The WiFi signal from upstairs arrives downstairs at the tv with a signal strength of only - 80db and 20Mbps down, 5Mbps up speed (hence the use of the powerline).
Question is: As the WiFi signal is so downgraded by the time it gets downstairs, would a mesh setup actually improve the signal downstairs.
I can see the remote mesh broadcasting a strong signal downstairs, but won't its communication with the master unit upstairs be downgraded so I wouldn't actually gain anything?
Yes, it ‘should’….but, as with most things wireless, there’s no guarantee!
One way of overcoming the degradation to a degree is to use a tri-band mesh, with two ‘signal channels (2.4 and 5GHz) and a dedicated ‘backhaul’ (5GHz) - this means that the mesh communication between units is not leeching on the signal channels. Another way around this is to use wired backhaul over Ethernet cables…..
What Wi-Fi are you using - 5 or 6 - as 6 does give better coverage, I have found…..? :unsure:

OP
OP
AndyPK

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Nothing, i can tap away at it and then I resort to my keyboard ones, which are not as much fun☹️
Do the other items in the menu bar respond when you ‘click’ on them (‘B’ ‘I’ etc…)?:unsure:

Dec 16, 2017
Almuñécar, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low Profile - Globebus T7
Yes, it ‘should’….but, as with most things wireless, there’s no guarantee!
One way of overcoming the degradation to a degree is to use a tri-band mesh, with two ‘signal channels (2.4 and 5GHz) and a dedicated ‘backhaul’ (5GHz) - this means that the mesh communication between units is not leeching on the signal channels. Another way around this is to use wired backhaul over Ethernet cables…..
What Wi-Fi are you using - 5 or 6 - as 6 does give better coverage, I have found…..? :unsure:
Re putting in an ethernet backhaul - It'll be easier and probably better to just lob a cat6 over the roof from the router, then down the side of the front wall, into the lounge and into a switch / 802.11ax access point. Obs a mesh setup would be less work and no need to drill two holes, but am unsure if it will actually make a difference for the cost.
The Movistar supplied fibre optic router upstairs is "WiFi 5" ie 802.11ax - which to be fair works great upstairs, but lacks the power especially on 5ghz to punch through the solid walls and floor to downstairs. But, at €40 a month for 300mb speed and all phone calls you can't expect state of the art kit.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
They have just been putting fibre cables down our road, all the poles linked now. Won't be taking it up unless I get it for the same price.
Don't hold out for same price it should be cheaper as no phone line rental, our was anyway when we moved from the town to middle of nowhere we went from circa 30mbs to full fibre 300mbs for about £8 a month less!

claude et maude

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2018
Kent
Funster No
MH
Hymer B664 CL
Exp
Since 2018
They have just been putting fibre cables down our road, all the poles linked now. Won't be taking it up unless I get it for the same price.
I got notified by BT a couple of days ago that I can now upgrade to full fibre 100 at same price as current 73mb, 500 for £5 extra and 900 for about £43 (I think). I’m cogitating on either the 100 or the 500…not really sure I’d make use of the 500 though as I don’t have any problems with my current 73mb so I’ll probably settle for the 100.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I got notified by BT a couple of days ago that I can now upgrade to full fibre 100 at same price as current 73mb, 500 for £5 extra and 900 for about £43 (I think). I’m cogitating on either the 100 or the 500…not really sure I’d make use of the 500 though as I don’t have any problems with my current 73mb so I’ll probably settle for the 100.
You also need to think about the "infrastructure" within your house and it's capabilities \ limitations.

Why pay for 900 \ 500Mbs if your home infrastructure is limited to 50Mbs? OK, maybe stretching a point but you get the drift. (y)

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
We've just joined the 21st Century broadband revolution with a full fibre connection. We were on 5Mb down 0.4Mb up. Now 900Mb down and 110Mb up ... well it is to the hub.
If I do speedtests throughout the house, the wifi speeds vary between 50Mb to 400Mb depending on time / temperature/ number of sheep in the field :rolleyes:
Do I need to be looking at replacing the BT "disks" with something else ?
And is it worth upgrading the BT Smart Hub 2 to BT Smart Hub 3 ?

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
We've just joined the 21st Century broadband revolution with a full fibre connection. We were on 5Mb down 0.4Mb up. Now 900Mb down and 110Mb up ... well it is to the hub.
If I do speedtests throughout the house, the wifi speeds vary between 50Mb to 400Mb depending on time / temperature/ number of sheep in the field :rolleyes:
Nope! You just buy a Border Collie and get it to move on the "surplus" sheep.:whistle2: That should improve you're bandwidth.:getmecoat:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Aren't the disks basically repeaters so each time to relay through one you lose up to 50% of your speed.
A good Mesh system will give you full speed all around the house.

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
Aren't the disks basically repeaters so each time to relay through one you lose up to 50% of your speed.
A good Mesh system will give you full speed all around the house.
I have absolutely no idea.
I just assumed (first mistake) that they were a mesh system, of sorts.

OP
OP
AndyPK

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
The BT discs do form a mesh, but are only dual band Wi-Fi ac (Wi-Fi 5) AFAIK………

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back