Upgrade to LiFePO4 Lithium Batteries (1 Viewer)

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
To me that looks like the way not to do it.
gene wilder horror GIF by RETRO-FIEND

Looks like I may be passing by your house in the not to distant future then.:LOL:

Dec 4, 2022
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout R
Can i replace my current leisure battery with a LiFePO4 to my Elektroblok EBL 119. (Van is a Globecar Campscout Revolution).

1713859938080.png
1713859992533.png

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
You can but not ideal, you would need to set the EBL to Gel, it will be OK if you don't use EHU very often just occasionally. The problem with the EBL it has a long absorption phase either 8 or 16 hour depending on the model, this is not good for Lithium.
If you are just going to use EHU for the odd night it will be fine otherwise fit a proper lithium charger.

Dec 4, 2022
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout R
You can but not ideal, you would need to set the EBL to Gel, it will be OK if you don't use EHU very often just occasionally. The problem with the EBL it has a long absorption phase either 8 or 16 hour depending on the model, this is not good for Lithium.
If you are just going to use EHU for the odd night it will be fine otherwise fit a proper lithium charger.
I would be tempted to start to upgrade it all but that would be a big job on something that works at the mo. Can you suggest a way of just upgrading the EBL 119 to something of a more modern platform? or would the video shown by Leiosurebit be a good option to upgrade all the bits?

BillandHelen

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 17, 2013
Edinburgh United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Wildax Elara
Exp
since 2004
Thanks, folks for all the advice and help. I am nearly there now. I know what I need and how to put it all together. I have had some information from Autotrail but not quite what I want. I am awaiting a further response in particular how to disconnect things and connect my system in an unintrusive way that will not invalidate the warranty. I have also looked at an integrated unit from Clayton Power. These units have everything built into one unit and can be very easily connected. One major advantage it can be easily removed and installed elsewhere. Anyone got any views on this?
Interestingly all Wildax vans with their “no gas” option now come with Clayton units, 160amp lithium ( option to add another battery), 3000w inverter etc. Getting good reviews from users, as you say the advantage is ease of install and everything in one compact box. As others have commented I’d be worried that everything needed removed if one component failed, not sure dealer would be keen on opening up the sealed box?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Don't know what video you are talking about but if it was me I would fit a Victron IP22 mains charger they do 15/20&30amps ones only about £150 for the 30 amps. You can just pull a fuse on the EBL to disable the mains charger.
If you don't have a B"B you need to fit one it really is important and of course you Solar controller need to be Lithium compatible.

For Victron gear have a word with RogerIvy at Off Grid good prices & funster discount.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Interestingly all Wildax vans with their “no gas” option now come with Clayton units, 160amp lithium ( option to add another battery), 3000w inverter etc. Getting good reviews from users, as you say the advantage is ease of install and everything in one compact box. As others have commented I’d be worried that everything needed removed if one component failed, not sure dealer would be keen on opening up the sealed box?
Wouldn't want to take the risk, Votronic do a mains charger, B2B & solar all in one box no thanks, wouldn't want to be left without power if one item failed.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back