Truma Combi 6e (1 Viewer)

Apr 2, 2021
Funster No
MH
Malibu 640
I’m still familiarising myself with the workings of our new Malibu 640. This morning being nice and fresh (just above freezing point) I tried out the heating on the gas only setting, set to 30 and the fan on boost. Although the van did heat up, I was a little underwhelmed by the performance, it took quite a while for the heat to build up and then ended up only warm as opposed to piping hot. Perhaps my expectations were a little high, the storage area under the bed was certainly piping hot, but the further away from the boiler, the weaker the airflow becomes from the vents. We can live with it, but would have been nice have had to turn the heating down.

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
On gas the Trauma (yes I spelt that correctly) should be quite potent, especially in a moderate sized MH. On boost I expect the fans should sound quite loud and you should be able to feel a good bit of air movement out of the ducts.

Have a look around and see how balanced the outlets are. Is there a possibility the the hose has been kinked or crushed somewhere?

I found I had two outlets in my rear living area, and only one near the front cab. This was imbalanced as air took the path of least resistance. Adjusting baffles at the rear increased air flow towards the front and gave a far better heat throughout the van.

OP
OP
G
Apr 2, 2021
Funster No
MH
Malibu 640
Thank you for advice. I did have a quick look, will have a closer inspection tomorrow. My initial thought was perhaps I should try and reduce the airflow going into the storage under the beds. There doesn't appear to be any baffle on this hose.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
VW
Exp
Since 2017
My Truma 4e (obvs not a 6e) is surprisingly powerful in my LWB van, and I would expect it to be sufficient in bigger vans.

Yours doesn’t sound as if it’s working correctly.

EDIT.. I’ve just googled your van and it’s a similar size to mine which is a 7m LWB superhigh roof Crafter

Oct 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
VW
Exp
Since 2017
Did you also have the water on, that might be set to priority, so after 20 mins or so the heating goes to full bore

Try it heating only?

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
I take it you have a PVC as you mention heating under the bed being the hottest point?
As Kannon Fodda quite rightly suggests, you have to balance the outputs from each vent by restricting those that are nearest the boiler itself. You can buy better adjustable outlets if you have a search on Google.
I think many of us are looking towards going down the diesel heater route for winter use as its much easier to get a tank of diesel than finding an LPG garage pump, or dare I even mention exchange gas cylinders at the cost they are these days. :eek:
The Truma 6E is a fairly reliable decent boiler, but will use a fair amount of Gas if you rely on it 24/7 in winter. Using both Gas & Electric is the fastest way to get the van up to temp, but with the cost of sites these days with EHU, not an option we would rely on.
Have a twiddle with your outlet vents and let us know how you get on.
LES

Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
I find the electric setting on my Compactline doesn't get the van very warm. I put that down to my increasing decrepitude as I age as I sit with a throw over my legs in the lounge at home.

OP
OP
G
Apr 2, 2021
Funster No
MH
Malibu 640
I have done as suggested and have ordered a couple of blanking ends and adjustable ends so with a bit of trial and error I will hopefully get it sorted, I suspect part of my problem may well be the same as Cyberyacht's. Whilst rooting around I came across some bad fitting screws in one of the storage spaces under the bed
IMG_2388.jpeg
- another thing to sort out !

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I find the electric setting on my Compactline doesn't get the van very warm. I put that down to my increasing decrepitude as I age as I sit with a throw over my legs in the lounge at home.
The electric setting is always a bit feeble compared to gas.
In my last motorhome I found one of the hot air pipes had come disconnected and most of the heat was just blowing into a compartment with a large vent to the outside. I had to replace that pipe run as the original pipe was too short to connect properly.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back