Transit Custom self build Electrics question (1 Viewer)

MartiT

Free Member
Mar 7, 2022
Funster No
MH
Transit Custom
Hi everyone

I have a dilemma. After some advice from local camper converters they advised me to get the Sargent EC155 kit due to simplicity and reliability

My Van I'm converting is a 2015 ford transit. I've now researched that it could have a smart alternator and could render the Sargent setup useless

I liked the ease of installation setup the Sargent seemed to offer but if its going to be useless id rather not and get something better

Thanks for any help

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
You don’t need a Sargent unit, in fact I would advise against it. A nice KISS installation will be far more reliable, and open for unlimited upgrades. We don’t have one and run serous power.

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
First of all work out what power requirements do you have.

For instance I run a cool box, lights and water pump. No inverter kettle etc...(I weekend in mine nothing more)

Secondly does your transit have a second battery? Mine does and has been adequate for my loads. The transit has a optional extra of a inverter so able to take the extra load.

Does it have a consumer connection point? Drivers side seat base next to door - two terminals one always live, the other ignition live.

I would use either a vsr or b2b connection to one of these. That are rated at 60amp so anything up to 50amp should be fine.

I made a little black box with all my electrical needs in it. But if starting from scratch you might want something more complex.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back