Trackers and Insurance (1 Viewer)

Sep 18, 2023
Guildford, UK
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2022
I've just had a couple of quotes for insurance on our Globecar.
Motorhome and Caravan Club
£535.61 without tracker
£507.03 with Rewire S7 tracker

LV=
£436.58 without tracker
£434.60 with with Rewire S7 tracker

Obviously I shall be staying with LV=, but I am puzzled that the insurance companies seem not to value trackers. It makes me wonder if it's worth spending £300+ on a tracker - Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Category 7 trackers are the entry level and not accepted by many insureres

If your going to bother with a Tracker then ensure that it is S5 The highest

If your going down that route, that frankly only benefits the insurers in the event of a loss, which is of course why you insure against theft, opt for a system that allows you to remotely immobilise your motorhome via your phone, which by stopping a theft in the first place will benefit you!

• Informative
Reactions: f6c

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
It’s even worse when major insurance companies say they have never heard of the Strikeback Growler and the ones that have will only accept a monitored tracker not non-starter. I think that because they can refuse they do.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
KiltedCamper
Sep 18, 2023
Guildford, UK
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2022
I've recently fitted a TruTrak Pro GV57MG with Two Tags (these two tags are key to the "Stolen Vehicle" feature).

Having researched trackers and insurance company attitudes I came to the following conclusions:

1 Trackers can cost a ridiculous amount of money both to buy and to run.
2 Insurance companies won't give a sensible discount if you install a tracker regardless of how much it costs. I know that a there may be a requirement from the insurance company to fit a tracker, but an offer of £10 discount on £500 insurance premium really amounts to an insult.
3 Telling your insurance company that you have a tracker may well present you with problems if your MH is stolen - Were you up to date with the subscription? was it professionally installed? etc.

In the end I chose a TruTrak GV57MG with two tags. Here's why:

1 At £100 it's cheap
2 It is very easy to self install - I was worried about this, but it really was a doddle.
3 They provide amazing pre and post purchase support
4 Monitoring cost is £6/month PAYG (or less if you top up more than a month at a time)
Having never fitted a tracker before I had a number of questions for them before I made the purchase, and had to ask for help with testing the tracking and and the generation of "stolen vehicle" alerts. My calls were answered swiftly and their staff were all technically competent and helpful.

Alerts are sent to your phone if the vehicle moves when a tag is more than 3m away.

Potential downside is that there isn't (an expensive) call centre there to alert the police. However, I've been unable to find any storys of people's motorhomes being recovered after a hot chase by the police, and this way I get an immediate alert if someone tries to steal our MH. So I can make my own mind up as to whether to confront thieves or call the police.

A few points:
  • TruTrak seems to be aimed at fleets rathe than individuals, as the app provides you with a very comprehensive set of analytical features. So it's a bit of an overkill for a single MH. Despite this the app is easy to use, and you don't have to get involved in the analytical stuff unless you are, like me, a geek.
  • The TruTrak hardware is available under other names, but the difference in cost is minimal. The benefit of going with TruTrak is the support and the softare.
  • I paid full price for the TruTrak and have no connection with the company other than as a very satisfied customer

Jun 13, 2020
Bradford
Funster No
MH
Sunlight T68 XV.
Exp
£535.61 without tracker

LV=
£436.58 without tracker

Obviously I shall be staying with LV=, but I am puzzled that the insurance companies seem not to value trackers. It makes me wonder if it's worth spending £300+ on a tracker - Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
I saved just under £100 this week on renewal with LV having just had an S5 tracker fitted, premium now £314, for 6000 miles. having also added an alarm, that made no difference.

Mar 18, 2015
Burrough on the Hill, Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 886f
Exp
Since 2014
Spoke with my insurers yesterday as we're awaiting a new van to check what is required. A Thatcham approved S5 or S7 tracker is a policy requirement. No tracker, no cover. Alarms are optional apparently.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
I previously had a van stolen, which I had no tracker fitted to (I do now). The outcome was that I got all paid for and no increase of insurance costs having had no claims cover. Ever since then I have a Scorpion tracker which allows me to view every minute of tours we have made. Perhaps I have some peace of mind but in reality I am not sure it has been worthwhile at 140quid a year plus initial fitting. I do get reminders that I have not used the van during winter months and a request to start the engine for some reason during this period.

Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
£535.61 without tracker

LV=
£436.58 without tracker

£300+ plus c£120 annual subscription.

Jan 3, 2015
British West Hartlepool
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 884
Exp
Since 2017
Depending on the value of the motorhome we had to have both alarm and tracker fitted before we even left the premises on day of collection. Our swift was North of 100k, they come with a sergeant tracker but I'm not a fan, so we opted for the Phantom Sentinel ultimate. Funny enough the Sergeant still works but wont alert anyone so I have two trackers installed.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back