Free Member
Apr 9, 2012
derby UK
Funster No
MH
Looking now
Exp
Im a newbie
Hello all as you have probabaly guessed by the user name we are David and Heather.
We spend a lot of time up in Scotland (we are Derby based) mostly on the Isle of Mull and as we were once campers before the bones got old and we went to cottages, we thought its time to free us of the shakles and get a motorhome.
I had a quick search around the tinterweb and found you guys - so Hi - we know nothing and have never even stopped in a motorhome so any/all advice on buying, running and where to be wopuld be most welcome.
Also any thoughts/experiance on accesories, by that I mean we have to put a kayak on the roof and if there is such a thing as a motorcycle rack then we are truley sorted.
Thanks for reading my ramblings and hopefully write, talk or even see you soon.
David..::bigsmile:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Hi David and Heather:welcome:

Heather, great name if you spend a lot of time in Scotland!!

We're on the Dumfries and Galloway coast near Gatehouse of Fleet

Bill & Margaret:roflmto:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Hi I am 15 miles away:welcomefunster::flyingwelcome:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hello and welcome to Motorhome Fun, a motorhome can be all things to all people so whatever you choose to do with it a bit of organisation and research and the fun will begin.

Decide what size will suit you, what you want to carry etc, and yes you can definitely get a scooter rack for the back and carry a kayak, will you need room for a BBQ / chairs and tables for eating outside etc.

When you know what you want to take with you then you'll have a better idea of the size of the motorhome you need to buy.

Don't be put of by the age of motorhomes a lot have a low mileage though may be 10 years old or more. try to get to one of the motorhome shows, there is a big one coming up at Peterborough their you can look in and see every type of motorhome in one place. Enjoy your search.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
welcome from us also

A warm welcome from us also.... read some of the back posts and the current ones, you will soon see what you ask has often be covered.

What you decide on depends on lots of variables .. money being one of them... motorhomes can be very expensive...look round at some motor homes at dealers and if you can go to a show or two and see what is for sale.. Some of the shows have 5,000 motor homes attending and dozens and dozens of traders from all over the UK... there are a good 8 or more a year of the big ones... the next one is in about two weeks at Peterborough... there are 86 or so from MHF getting together ..great as a club meet.. allows you to put faces to names.

What you buy will dictate what your camping experience will be like. It took me two years to find the right RV (Yank) motor home this time around, and I have had a motor home for over 25 years now.. so even with years under the belt it takes a long time to get the right vehicle. Do not rush, look at plenty. whatever you decide on allow a big wedge for all those extras.

Bob, Sue and Ezzie the St Bernard (6 to day):thumb:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi and welcome to Fun, lovely place Scotland, if you are using a rigid kayak, Fiamma have just brought out a roof carrier.

click here http://www.johnscross.co.uk/products/Fiamma-Carry-Kayak.html

If you need any advice just call us and have a chat on 01-580-883062

Peter

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi David and Heather, do check out the Link Removed it could save you a lot of money. Meanwhile welcome to the Fun :thumb:

RogeTeri

Free Member
Apr 8, 2012
Abrantes, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
February 2013.
Hi Guys

Teri and I are new as well and know so little. In the two days I have been on this site the only thing I have learned is that I know less than I thought I did. We have not got a van as yet as I don't retire till September, so I am looking forward to learning a lot in these next few months. Keep in touch and we might share some hints and tips.

All the best

Roge and Teri

the stig

Funster
Oct 10, 2009
Grimsby
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Since 2009
Hi David & Heather, welcome aboard. Previous posts have already sketched the starting block off to you. My only add on for now is also think about what you like to do. Do you both like an afternoon siesta? therefore would you require a MH with lounging space for two to lay out. Will you be taking pets with you, need to think about floor space. Are you happy to make up and dismantle bed every day or would you rather go for the fixed bed, do you require a size bigger than your average locker to store things in ie an end garage. it goes on and on, but don't worry as they do say you very rarely find the right MH first time round (usually takes about 3 before you get there) Biggest pointer I would say is do not rush into one, take you time and look look look.

Sounds daunting I know, but it's not it is FUN. and there is always someone on here who can help answer any specific questions once you get your MH.

Good luck and happy hunting

Andrea & Jeff

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back