Top tips for Bulgaria and Romania please? (1 Viewer)

Jane And Rog

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 19, 2019
Ashford, Kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2017
If you’ve travelled to either of these, I’d love to hear your recommendations. Cracking campsites (and wild camps). Wonderful walks. Fabulous food at ravishing restaurants. Brilliant buildings.

Thanks!

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Have a read through 'our grand tour' (search) form about post #66. It's our journey log up through Bulgaria and Romania.
You could spend a month or so in each country and not see it all but we were on a tight schedule.
To be honest we only had one memorable meal in Sofia and then only because we were taken there by a local. The rest of the time food out was pretty average.

Jan 5, 2014
tetbury
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Expedition
Exp
Long time
In Bulgaria go to the Rila National Park, Monasteries and fantastic walking, lots!
How big is your van?
How long do you want to spend in Bulgaria?
What time of year are you going?
What type of walking do you like to do?

OP
OP
Jane And Rog

Jane And Rog

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 19, 2019
Ashford, Kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2017
Thanks!

Van is 6.4m. Not sure when we go as depends a bit on other factors, but ideally April / May / June ish.

We walk up to about 20km, don't mind hills and mountains, recently did Scafell Pike for example, but nothing like proper scrambling or climbing. Neither the dog nor I have a decent head for heights (cliffs etc).

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Have a look at Netflix “Flavours of Romania” documentary series. The last two episodes are filmed in my region. Charlie does a good impartial explanation of all areas of the country. Some places are better than the others, but if you do go to Romania you will love it. Wild camping pretty anywhere you like, even edge of national parks in the wild are allowed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Jane And Rog

Jane And Rog

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 19, 2019
Ashford, Kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2017
Have a look at Netflix “Flavours of Romania” documentary series. The last two episodes are filmed in my region. Charlie does a good impartial explanation of all areas of the country. Some places are better than the others, but if you do go to Romania you will love it. Wild camping pretty anywhere you like, even edge of national parks in the wild are allowed.
Thanks very much for that - I always love to find a decent documentary as it’s much easier to get a feel for a place.

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Son is married to a Bulgarian so we have been a few times.
2 places i always recommend as we personally love em are Bansko and Plodiv.
As for food it's pot luck (or pot roast).
Always hotel so cannot vouch for camp sites.

OP
OP
Jane And Rog

Jane And Rog

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 19, 2019
Ashford, Kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2017
Only for aerial and naval transportation for the time being, the road transportation it’s still out of shengen, so Romania will still count outside shengen, unless you fly in or sail in.
That’s brilliant news, thanks. Any idea when it changes for road crossings?

Jan 24, 2018
Funster No
We went to Bulgaria last year. If you go to Rila Monastery, after visiting keep driving up the road it is on, pretty much to the end. There you will find a tiny restaurant, and you can park there overnight and eat in said restaurant. I think I put a link to our Bulgarian blog here https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/foru...r-croatia-bosniaherzegovina-next-year.283257/

Oh and definitely go to the Buzludzha monument!

Let me know if you need coordinates for any of the places we stayed.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2015
Nelson New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
Since 1998
We managed to wild camp quite a bit in Romania, and also found some small campsites in villages that were run by Dutch missionaries, many of whom had stayed in Romania after originally working in the terrible orphanages that were left after the Nicolae Ceaușescu regime.
One recommendation that sticks out in my mind is The Merry Cemetery in the village of Săpânţa in Maramureș region. Google it. Also the painted churches
located in the region called Bukovina are worth visiting due to their extensive interior and exterior decorations.
We loved Romania.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
I was told by a Romanian lorry driver who came to my works for a load of stone that if the police see a British plate they will find an excuse to pull you and relieve you of some cash. I really don’t know how true this is🤷‍♂️
Look forward to the blog Jane And Rog

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
That’s brilliant news, thanks. Any idea when it changes for road crossings?
https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/ip_23_6861I think having read this article and a few others, even though the land borders aren’t “in play” the days will in fact start counting when the air and sea borders count and Romania and Bulgaria join on 31st March 24. I have been watching this as we travel to both later in the year for 5 weeks. I may be wrong, fingers crossed, but it would be very confusing for everyone at the French ferry ports!

It seems it’s Austria who are causing the delays to full admittance to Schengen for Bulgaria, and Romania get lumped in with them because of the timing. It’s very interesting but would turn the thread horribly political so don’t worry I won’t.

May be good news afterall for us travellers but a pain for Romania and Bulgaria whilst it lingers on for a bit.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Our experience in Romania I think proves its a mith that the police pull over UK registered vehicles. We passed quite a few police check points and not stopped once.
We had some trivial contact with police in a small city and they could not have been more helpful.

OP
OP
Jane And Rog

Jane And Rog

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 19, 2019
Ashford, Kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2017

Finally got around to this last night, and we can't find it on UK Netflix. A quick google seems to say that it was only released in Romania. Anyone know where we can find it?

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Try YouTube documentaries, we watched it on a UK Netflix account, don’t have a Ro one. Weird.

Found in on you tube, season 1 ep 1, you will have to find the others. There is two seasons.

Oct 5, 2021
Tropical Skelmorlie
Funster No
MH
Globecar 5.4 Shine
Exp
Since 2013
We went to Bulgaria last year. If you go to Rila Monastery, after visiting keep driving up the road it is on, pretty much to the end. There you will find a tiny restaurant, and you can park there overnight and eat in said restaurant.

We stayed overnight at Rila. It looks fantastic at night.
029 Riva IMG_0946.jpg

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
I lived and worked in Romania for four years. A truly beautiful country with very friendly people. I particularly liked the mountain regions of Brasov and Sinaia and the lovely Black Sea coast of Constanta. The monasteries with their blue frescos are amazing.

OP
OP
Jane And Rog

Jane And Rog

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 19, 2019
Ashford, Kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2017
Try YouTube documentaries, we watched it on a UK Netflix account, don’t have a Ro one. Weird.

Found in on you tube, season 1 ep 1, you will have to find the others. There is two seasons.

Thanks Raul!

Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/ip_23_6861I think having read this article and a few others, even though the land borders aren’t “in play” the days will in fact start counting when the air and sea borders count and Romania and Bulgaria join on 31st March 24. I have been watching this as we travel to both later in the year for 5 weeks. I may be wrong, fingers crossed, but it would be very confusing for everyone at the French ferry ports!

It seems it’s Austria who are causing the delays to full admittance to Schengen for Bulgaria, and Romania get lumped in with them because of the timing. It’s very interesting but would turn the thread horribly political so don’t worry I won’t.

May be good news afterall for us travellers but a pain for Romania and Bulgaria whilst it lingers on for a bit.

I'm finding this hard to understand.
From April 1st it all changes.
Some websites say your (UK) days will count towards the 90 day Shengen allowance.

UK gov says this

........From 31 March 2024, Bulgaria will partially join Schengen. At this point, Bulgaria will only join Schengen for border control-free travel via air and sea. Border controls will remain at all land and river borders, including those within the Schengen zone. Visits to any other Schengen countries in the 180 days before you travel to Bulgaria will count towards your 90 day visa-free limit.

From 31 March 2024 if you’re travelling to Bulgaria (and all other Schengen countries) without a visa, make sure your whole visit to the Schengen area is within the 90-day limit.........

I think that means if you are in Bulgaria by 31 March you are OK. If you go in after, despite border controls on the road, it counts towards your 90 day Shengen limit.

But who knows

Oct 5, 2021
Tropical Skelmorlie
Funster No
MH
Globecar 5.4 Shine
Exp
Since 2013
Did you stay in the rooms they let out? What were they like? Was it very 'monk'ish?

Sorry, I've only just seen this! No, we stayed in our motorhome in their car park. It is possible to stay there overnight - saw lots of people doing so - but don't have any details, I'm afraid.

OP
OP
Jane And Rog

Jane And Rog

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 19, 2019
Ashford, Kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2017
I'm finding this hard to understand.
From April 1st it all changes.
Some websites say your (UK) days will count towards the 90 day Shengen allowance.

UK gov says this

........From 31 March 2024, Bulgaria will partially join Schengen. At this point, Bulgaria will only join Schengen for border control-free travel via air and sea. Border controls will remain at all land and river borders, including those within the Schengen zone. Visits to any other Schengen countries in the 180 days before you travel to Bulgaria will count towards your 90 day visa-free limit.

From 31 March 2024 if you’re travelling to Bulgaria (and all other Schengen countries) without a visa, make sure your whole visit to the Schengen area is within the 90-day limit.........

I think that means if you are in Bulgaria by 31 March you are OK. If you go in after, despite border controls on the road, it counts towards your 90 day Shengen limit.

But who knows
Oh that's a shame for us. :(

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
I have checked this as well on the Ro site, mae ro, foreign affairs ro. It looks like from 1st of April, it will count towards the 90 days.

Starting with this date, air and sea border controls will be lifted.

At the same time, Romanian authorities will fully apply the Schengen acquis and will, subsequently, issue Schengen visas which will allow holders to travel within the Schengen area for stays not exceeding 90 days in any 180-day period.

From March 31st, 2024, in accordance with Article 6 of the Schengen Borders Code, the maximum duration of the authorized stay on the territory of the Schengen States for third-country nationals, regardless of whether they are required to hold a visa or are exempt from such a requirement, may not exceed a total of „90 days in any 180-day period”, irrespective of the type of passport they possess.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back