Top Coat Paint Flaking/Peeling Off Base Coat Sound (1 Viewer)

Jan 25, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1962
Mine also has the same problem, I have been told by a friend that used to spray RR's and race cars, that the problem started when there was a change over from cellulose to water based paints.

They change the top coat to water based but the undercoat was the Cellulose type and adhesion was poor??

I am thinking about painting mine camouflage colours so can be touched up at different times and the flaking unnoticeable. :LOL:
Beware you may not be able to find it again

Aug 12, 2021
Funster No
MH
chausson
Have a 2008 citroen relay lwbase, converted by devon motorhomes 2013, current mileage about 45 500 miles. Not really used for about 2 years, covid and a hip op. Started a thorough clean last week, inside in good order, but headed up to the roof today and started the dreaded clean, abeit only the bits that can be seen from the ground . Mot tomorrow, and then the long road to roof revival. Noticed in many places that the paint was easilycoming off and down to primer and some cases minor rust in rain channels. Too expensive to have professionally done due to age and resell value of van. So intension is to thoroughly clean roof, metal and ridged, tape off vents and solar, sand and prime, and then a final protective coat, but in black not white. Overall objective is to protect roof,no more flaking of paint, and as isnt in view dosent have to look aesthetically great. Saying that will continue my research and post photos. Any comments or observations appreciated, many thanks.
Have a look at Raptor paint. It was designed as a truck bed liner, it is very hard wearing and can stand scrapes and knocks from branches etc. it can have a varied finish from smooth to dappled, this is achieved by adjusting the air pressure. It can be brush or rolled on as well. This is one of my Land Rovers with a dappled finish. Ps it is in a compound off road so no MOT.

73775BFE-2B40-44B1-951F-223E84D247EF.jpeg F3809545-6CA5-45D7-B7B4-89C7E6F65FCB.jpeg

M16

Free Member
Apr 15, 2024
Funster No
MH
MAGELLAN540
All Stellantis group vans are manufactured in the Sevel Sud factory located in 66041 Saletti, Province of Chieti, Italy 42°08'45.6"N 14°26'46.2"E . According to Fiat bodybuilders, this problem has existed for 25 years. It only affects vans such as Ducato, Jumper, Boxer... The only solution to carry out a lasting repair is to sand down to the sheet metal and completely redo the paint. One solution would be to do a Raptor type painting which can easily be done by an individual. Otherwise, a complete painting done by a bodybuilder is extremely expensive.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back