To WiFi or not to wifi (1 Viewer)

Jan 4, 2024
Funster No
MH
Hymer C644 Classic
Got a quote to get a WiFi antenna and router fitted (Avtex). The missus is questioning whether we actually need it…do we? Opinions please?
Ps. I have unlimited phone data. Daughter who likes to use iPad and phone, a lot

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
The avtex when we looked was the worst one to get (unless it's improved). We have the motorhomewifi antenna and are looking to upgrade to a cat12 or cat18 router (probably netgear or huawei) to connect to it prob in a year as prices drop. We only have a 4g capable router (ZTE) now.

Our opinion and experience is they make a massive difference if you in a rural place, ie, north norfolk and Wales on Three network in particular. Phones/hotspot don't get signal, roof antenna connected hotspot does - we've had this in several sites, notably the Forest of Dean and near Cromer at the CACC site. Not much point in buying beyond a cat6 hotspot except to futureproof as theres no 5g in these kind of places.

If you mostly visit more "city" or less rural campsites, like Yarmoth, St Neots, say even Oxford area -> you won't get much differnec from a roof antenna to a phone acting as a hotspot, as if signal is good they make little difference. If signal is poor however, you'll get no signal or 512K or less on a phone, and 7-15Mbit on the roof antenna is our experience at least. The CACC site near Cromer is a classic example where a phone is useless as neither of ours had any signal.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
Should say don't worry about the sim card thing and the "unlimited" data thing, if in UK sims are very very cheap from amazon.
Some here use Smarty (£20 a month for any month you use it unlimited), we use a 3 business additional data sim (added onto the main sim) and it's £5/mo for unlimited data sims when added to a handset contract for a business (or is on the 2 we have!), ie, £60/year for the motorhomes wifi. You can also get scancom sims on EE and Three with huge data bundles from Amazon cheap (and these are VERY cheap indeed if you buy them in black friday/cyber monday type deals).

Basically don't worry if you use the van a lot the sim should be one of the cheapest monthly expenses, our tracker costs more per month.

Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
I have just used a phone as a hotspot for years and it's worked well. If you don't want to use your present phone then buy a cheap/second hand one and buy a no contract sim to put in it.

Upvote 0
Sep 28, 2019
Newbury, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson 767 GA
Exp
Since 2018
Got a quote to get a WiFi antenna and router fitted (Avtex). The missus is questioning whether we actually need it…do we? Opinions please?
Ps. I have unlimited phone data. Daughter who likes to use iPad and phone, a lot
Don’t waste money on antennae - made no discernible difference to us. Have had huawei mifi and tp-link. TBH the 45euro tp-link bought in carrefour when the huawei packed up in Spain was perfect for streaming tv and all other Wi-Fi connections. No external aerial. I think getting the right SIM card is more important. We bought local Vodafone data sim - 40 euros for 190gb for 28 days.

Upvote 0
Mar 1, 2015
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
Frankia 840GD
Exp
Since 2015
We also got a Motorhome WIFI and it has to be my worst purchase for the Motorhome. I have done a speed test with the sim in the Huawei router and the Motorhome wifi, then a speed test with the same SIM card in my phone. The phone was actually faster than the roof antenna I paid a fortune for.

Upvote 0

RedFrame

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2017
Chester
Funster No
MH
Self Build W907 PVC
Exp
Sept 2017

As has been said above, it depends on where you like to stop. If it is remote locations then a decent antenna and router will definitely help.

Why not fit it yourself, it's fairly straightforward and you'll probably do a better job and save a fortune.

Cheers
Red.

Upvote 0
Jan 7, 2023
Bath, UK
Funster No
MH
Fleurette Wincester
Exp
Since Jan 2023
This is based on limited "testing", but in the UK using a phone and at least one other sim to your normal one on different (main) networks would probably work well.

On the times my O2 based sim (giffgaff) has had no signal, my Smarty sim (Three) in the wifi box has mostly been ok. When both haven't worked, I'll bet a Vodafone or EE one would have. I don't seem to get any better signal from the wifi than from a phone in terms of strength.

When you are roaming (say in France), you can choose the best network to be on (usually orange), and you can do that from either your phone or the Wifi box, and the phone is actually less complicated in my opinion. It's a shame we can't choose the network we're on when in your home country, but there we go ...

The wifi box is quite "nice to have" if you use Chromecast and the like, as they have to attach to a local network, and I don;t know if they "remember" phone based networks in the same way they do the wifi box because i've not tested it.

Not sure if that's any help :) I;ve got writer's block and just need to type to get going ...

Upvote 0
May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
We also got a Motorhome WIFI and it has to be my worst purchase for the Motorhome. I have done a speed test with the sim in the Huawei router and the Motorhome wifi, then a speed test with the same SIM card in my phone. The phone was actually faster than the roof antenna I paid a fortune for.
Oh it will be in places like Gt Yarmouth CAMC for sure. If your phone has a larger signal, it's a higher LTE band (iphones are Cat18 min) so gets more data per second on strong signal.

However, it's a totally different kettle of fish at certain sites with low signal. Good luck getting any signal at the Icleborough fields CACC site I think it is called near Cromer without a roof antenna, as my phone got no signal on 2 different networks.

Upvote 0
Jan 2, 2024
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
Simple answer is it will work in some places a phone work and should work everywhere a phone will with same SIM.
I wouldn't have paid a fortune for the gain but
had a router spare( from home upgrade no landline) bought a refurbished poynting airel off eBay £40 fitted myself,you should be able to do for £100 all in.For me worthwhile @ £40.
As for Sims loads of no contract Sims around

Upvote 0
May 3, 2023
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Accent
Just back from North Norfolk and I have a Huawei Mifi which didn't get a signal in the van. I don't have roof mounted antenna but cheap magnetic hi-gain 4g LTE antenna. Only about £12 the pair on Amazon. Pop them on the roof out the skylight and they make enough of a difference get get a signal that was usable. Its only situations like this when I need them, most of the time the mifi up in the skylight is fine. Slightly better value than some of the roof mount kit.

Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2018
Funster No
Similar to Reevsie in post #7, we bought a Motorhome WiFi for over £400, I am not actually sure what it does that our phones don't.
If you particularly want WiFi in your van, a friend bought a Huawei Cube for his and has been impressed, and they're not expensive. It's a combined smart speaker and router.

If I were you I'd try something like this, and wait and see if you ever go without signal and then consider spending more money.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Don’t waste money on antennae - made no discernible difference to us.
We have found it makes a huge difference particularly up in remote mountains in Spain & France when neither of our phones can get a signal often pulled in a 3G signal good enough for slow browsing or email much better than no signal at all.

Upvote 0
Jan 6, 2017
East Devon
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morocco XL
Exp
since 2014
We have found it makes a huge difference particularly up in remote mountains in Spain & France when neither of our phones can get a signal often pulled in a 3G signal good enough for slow browsing or email much better than no signal at all.
Have to agree! To those that say a phone hotspot is all you need, then I'm sure that's fine if you are always where there is a decent signal. For us, we have found that when we've been in remote locations, for example eastern Turkey, - with nothing whatsoever in terms of phone signal, we've had connectivity (and therefore the ability to make data based calls as well) via our Motorhome Wifi set up. We wouildn't be without it and would only change for Starlink.

Upvote 0
Oct 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
VW
Exp
Since 2017
I recall reading that antennae have different numbers of aerials within. The more aerials the more successful it is in picking up signals and hence can be far more effective than a mobile acting as a receiver.

Upvote 0
Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
My setup cost me @ £200 which consists of a Huwawei B535 which is a 4G/ LTE router and a Pointing Mimo 3-12 antenna. I have posted previously that I wasnt impressed with performance of the antenna. However a few weeks back I reset the router completely and downloaded the latest Huwawei app ( I was using an older version previously). I made sure the external antenna settings were ticked on in the app settings. I didnt have this option in the previous App.
The speed outside my house using a 3 sim has now increased from 4-9mbs to 35-40 mbs. The 4-9 mbs readings were recorded using an iphone and a Vodafone Gigacube router.
The external antenna is making a significant difference in my experience. .

Upvote 0

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
We have a mifi system, HUAWEI router, aerial on the roof, smarty sim. Suits us. Can invariably get a signal. Did try using phone before we got the system, couldn’t make it work. Smarty sim we can pause if not going away.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back