Thinking of full-timing... (1 Viewer)

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Hi all, its been a while since I've been around, but back now with the ludicrous idea of full-timing :)

The Missus (Claira) and I have had motorhomes or campers for the last 10 years, 4 years ago I built our current van. Since then we have gotten away whenever we can.

I work online from home (e commerce) and built a couple of internet solutions into the van so I could work from the beach at times (have to love living in Cornwall). This has served us well for a couple of nights at a time whenever Claira has time off work, plus the odd week away.

Our plan was to get the business where it needed to be to give us a nice lifestyle, then save up to buy a house (we rent). That time is getting closer.

The thing is, I've realised I really don't want to buy a house. In fact the idea of working so hard just to be stuck in a house we own for years was really getting me down. For me a house isn't just where I relax, it's where I work as well. This has been fine whilst building the company, but doing the same for the next 20 years? Okay, Claira will no longer need her job soon, so we won't have to plan around that and could get away more often. Hardly living the dream though.

A few months ago I started dreaming about full-timing. I found myself floating around online motorhome dealers late at night and finding solutions to working from remote locations. I started looking at all of the places in the UK we hadn't been too, and imagined finishing work just in time for us to get out with the cameras (both into photography) to capture the sunset. I imagined the freedom of staying in an area for just long enough before moving on. That's a life.

Then last week, after quite a bit of wine, I suggested my idea to Claira. I just blurted it out "darling, how about instead of buying a house we buy a bigger van and live in it". There was a silent pause (she must have been breathing in :) ) and I prepared myself for my pipe dream to be crushed. Instead of a flat "no you fool", she asked how it would work, so I talked through some of my ideas. I finished with "It's just an idea hun for the future. Just give it some thought over the next few months".

By the next day she liked the idea. A few days later she loved the idea. Now she is spending more time online researching full-timing than me. It turns out she hates the idea of buying a house as well :)

So we are starting to form a plan. A plan that will cost a fortune and leave us homeless.

Our initial idea is to buy a new (or nearly new) A-Class. Something along the lines of a Hymer B534. We had a Pilote A-Class some years ago that had a similar layout and both loved it. We figure a new van should be more reliable, plus it will have a warranty. We like the Hymer as it's designed for two, has a rear lounge and a door that closes the bed/bathroom from the kitchen/lounge. It has plenty of room for the dog and is only 7m.

Then comes my work. I need a reliable internet service. Of course this will be easy when on most sites, but we have always liked wildcamping and would like the option to do this when we please. 4g and WiFi have served us well most of the time in our current van, but not always. I'm thinking satellite broadband could be the answer?

To power the van off grid I'm thinking lithium batteries of some description. Not sure which option yet, does anyone here use a lithium solution?

Also thinking about a couple of electric mountain bikes to get where a big A-Class can't - again a subject I know little about so could do with some help.

The plan at the moment is to buy a van next year, fit it out with what we need, then try it out for a few months before we let the house go. I'm sure there are 100's of things we haven't thought of yet.

I'd really appreciate any help on the subjects mentioned above, or anything else full-timing related. I'd especially appreciate advice from anyone working online from their van as this bit has to run smoothly.

Thanks for reading and it's nice to be back :)

David

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hi all, its been a while since I've been around, but back now with the ludicrous idea of full-timing :)

By the next day she liked the idea. A few days later she loved the idea. Now she is spending more time online researching full-timing than me. It turns out she hates the idea of buying a house as well
Sounds like a song....pins colada

So we are starting to form a plan. A plan that will cost a fortune and leave us homeless.
You'll have a home, one that will let you follow your dream
Our initial idea is to buy a new (or nearly new) A-Class. Something along the lines of a Hymer B534. We had a Pilote A-Class some years ago that had a similar layout and both loved it. We figure a new van should be more reliable, plus it will have a warranty. We like the Hymer as it's designed for two, has a rear lounge and a door that closes the bed/bathroom from the kitchen/lounge. It has plenty of room for the dog and is only 7m.
Don't think you can go wrong with a Hymer (I may be prejudiced) but I would seriously think of seeking out a low mileage one a couple of years old from a reliable dealer, not only will it save a considerable amount of money, it will probably have a lot of extras on and had any troubles sorted out.

Then comes my work. I need a reliable internet service. Of course this will be easy when on most sites, but we have always liked wildcamping and would like the option to do this when we please. 4g and WiFi have served us well most of the time in our current van, but not always. I'm thinking satellite broadband could be the answer?

Enquire of @Jim I believe his internet system allows him to work from anywhere.
To power the van off grid I'm thinking lithium batteries of some description. Not sure which option yet, does anyone here use a lithium solution

Don't know the answer to that one
Also thinking about a couple of electric mountain bikes to get where a big A-Class can't - again a subject I know little about so could do with some help.
Lots of information around about those and won't be a problem.
The plan at the moment is to buy a van next year, fit it out with what we need, then try it out for a few months before we let the house go. I'm sure there are 100's of things we haven't thought of yet.

I'd really appreciate any help on the subjects mentioned above, or anything else full-timing related. I'd especially appreciate advice from anyone working online from their van as this bit has to run smoothly.
@Gromett maybe able to help there.
Thanks for reading and it's nice to be back :)

David

Good luck, should be amazing.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Love the idea, we have full timed for the past eighteen months while Angela is still at work (finishes in Dec.) living on a farm while she's on duty. We have managed very well on a 3G dongle for wifi and I'm sat in the hospital reception right now after dropping her off at work using public wifi.
We changed Moho's last Oct from an Autocruise Wentworth @3850kgs to a Hobby 700 @5250kgs as I was worried about payload, this has enabled us to carry a scoot on the back after weighing it fully loaded to check.
I'm in the process of fitting 300watts of solar, 250ah batteries and we also have a 44ltr underslung gas tank too. There was a guy on another site that also worked from his Moho as had satelite broadband and microwave this and that for when they were wild camping.
Good luck with your plans. (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
Sounds very interesting! Good luck!

Just a comment on the van choice. We have the 534 and really like it. But we chose it over the bigger Duo simply because of the size we can keep at home. If we had room we'd have got the bigger Duo.

There are some features on the 534 which aren't as good as the bigger one, viz:

The kitchen prep space is more compromised

No room for coffee machine (we use a stove top pot but full timing that wouldn't work for me)

More storage in bigger one, and bigger payload to reflect this

534 has separate steps to access the bed, which frankly are a pain as they need to be stored in garage when travelling and got out to use. The inbuilt pull out steps on the bigger Duo is a very elegant solution

Bathroom fittings better in the bigger one, such as ceramic toilet bowl that would possibly be better for full timing.

Not trying to put you off a 534, we do love ours, but IMHO the bigger van would be better for FT.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Just ease into it, it doesn't have to be forever. Buy wisely, then look after the van you buy and you'll lose very little if you decide in a years time that its not for you, so you really have nothing to lose. There are a few issues you'll need to overcome, such as having an address to use and getting adequate insurance, for some this can be a challenge but many thousands of people are living your dream. Exciting times. I look forward to reading about your adventures (y)

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Just borrow that old euramobil, ;) I'm sure Gaz and Julie would not mind. :LOL:
We half time when we're not in Spain and love it, we have a 6m panel van.:eek: but then it's normally hot and sunny :rolleyes: ( but not today in norfolk ). :LOL:

I always say ' when you start to wish something it's normally too late ' go for it. (y) Bob and Janie.

OP
OP
Wissel
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Thanks for the replies all. As this idea is moving from pipe dream to reality it's a little scary, so it's great to get a little encouragement :)

Love the idea, we have full timed for the past eighteen months while Angela is still at work (finishes in Dec.) living on a farm while she's on duty. We have managed very well on a 3G dongle for wifi and I'm sat in the hospital reception right now after dropping her off at work using public wifi.
We changed Moho's last Oct from an Autocruise Wentworth @3850kgs to a Hobby 700 @5250kgs as I was worried about payload, this has enabled us to carry a scoot on the back after weighing it fully loaded to check.
I'm in the process of fitting 300watts of solar, 250ah batteries and we also have a 44ltr underslung gas tank too. There was a guy on another site that also worked from his Moho as had satelite broadband and microwave this and that for when they were wild camping.
Good luck with your plans. (y)

Thanks Badknee. I have solar and 400ah of battery power in my camper now. Sounds a lot, but as we almost always wildcamp in it and have a compressor fridge/built in PC/WiFi it soon goes.

Next van will have 3-way fridge which will help, plus laptops for working. I figure lithium batteries is the way to go for us as so much more of the power can be used. Just need to figure out the best way of achieving this (giving thought to a homemade Tesla powerwall at the mo - need to figure out safe, fast, balanced charging though).

Don't suppose you have a link to the guy with satellite broadband and microwave? I know a guy from a few years ago that installed a microwave running off 12v in a blue Sprinter, wonder if the same person?

Sounds very interesting! Good luck!

Just a comment on the van choice. We have the 534 and really like it. But we chose it over the bigger Duo simply because of the size we can keep at home. If we had room we'd have got the bigger Duo.

There are some features on the 534 which aren't as good as the bigger one, viz:

The kitchen prep space is more compromised

No room for coffee machine (we use a stove top pot but full timing that wouldn't work for me)

More storage in bigger one, and bigger payload to reflect this

534 has separate steps to access the bed, which frankly are a pain as they need to be stored in garage when travelling and got out to use. The inbuilt pull out steps on the bigger Duo is a very elegant solution

Bathroom fittings better in the bigger one, such as ceramic toilet bowl that would possibly be better for full timing.

Not trying to put you off a 534, we do love ours, but IMHO the bigger van would be better for FT.

Really useful post milliethehymer, not an easy van to get info about.

I've thought quite hard over the kitchen space - figure the table should help? So pleased you mentioned a coffee machine :) My biggest sacrifice will be not having my beloved Tassimo everyday (although it will sit on the rear shelf for when we have hookup).

The steps thing could be annoying. Can they not sit flat on the bed to be stored? Not seen a van in the flesh yet so no idea how much room on the bed with it stowed?

The ceramic toilet is available as an option on the 534 - it's one of the things I'll be looking at in Oct at the show.

I like the 534's bigger brother, but would like to keep the van shorter if possible. Plus the price tag on the 534 makes me feel ill enough, 634 is quite a bit more. Again, I (we)(lets face it, her) will be looking at all options at the NEC before making any decisions on which van.

Okay to ask you questions on the 534 as I think of them?

What have you got to loose, at the worst just put your original plans back a year or two if it don't work out.
Good luck.

Totally agree Frazzle. Thanks.

Just ease into it, it doesn't have to be forever. Buy wisely, then look after the van you buy and you'll lose very little if you decide in a years time that its not for you, so you really have nothing to lose. There are a few issues you'll need to overcome, such as having an address to use and getting adequate insurance, for some this can be a challenge but many thousands of people are living your dream. Exciting times. I look forward to reading about your adventures (y)

Thanks Jim. Address wise I'll use a relative for personal stuff (and register at same property probably) and already have a separate business address that will stay the same.

I've been looking into the insurance side and seen that there seems to be just the one supplier. I'll get quotes down the line, but have an idea what to expect. One thing that isn't clear from what I've read so far is whether not being abroad makes a difference? Due to our dog we will only be in the UK while he's still with us.

Definitely exciting :)

I'm finding myself more committed to work each day as I feel I'm working towards something I want.

Should be a fun journey just planning this - even better once doing it :)

OP
OP
Wissel
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Just borrow that old euramobil, ;) I'm sure Gaz and Julie would not mind. :LOL:
We half time when we're not in Spain and love it, we have a 6m panel van.:eek: but then it's normally hot and sunny :rolleyes: ( but not today in norfolk ). :LOL:

I always say ' when you start to wish something it's normally too late ' go for it. (y) Bob and Janie.

lol, I think it was Gary and Julie being down here a few weeks ago (in van) that really got me thinking :)

I haven't mentioned this idea to them yet, but think they'd notice if the monolith disappeared one morning :)

Weather is crap down here in Cornwall today as well if it makes you feel better. Cheers.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I have full timed for nearly 40 years now and until I bought my current 1987 Hymer 660S, I haven't spent more than £5k on a van.

I would never dream of buying a brand new van for several reasons but depreciation is a major one of them.

There are so many, many superb used vans around which have already had all their niggles and problems sorted out and will cost far, far less than a new one.

I agree with you about houses.

I could never live in a fixed to the ground home again... and with advances in mobile internet coverage it is not hard to be connected almost anywhere.

If you do make the move, and have a tenth of the joy I have had since doing so, you will still be miles ahead of the game...

Go for it.

JJ :cool:

Having a small orchard in Central Portugal (which is packed with beautiful, mature olive trees) as a bolt hole to park up on, when I feel the need to stay still for a few weeks, helps a lot too.

Last edited:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Lithium batteries are good but very expensive, about £2K for around 100Ah and you would need to change the battery and solar chargers on the new vehicle if retrofitting. For a lot less than that you could add more solar and a B2B charger which is what I would suggest. Have a look at www.mastervolt.com for more info on lithium batteries.
You might also like to think about going to Europe, if only for the winter. Much more wild camping opportunities and of course the summer in eastern Europe would be very cheap in say Bulgaria. :)

OP
OP
Wissel
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Lithium batteries are good but very expensive, about £2K for around 100Ah and you would need to change the battery and solar chargers on the new vehicle if retrofitting. For a lot less than that you could add more solar and a B2B charger which is what I would suggest. Have a look at www.mastervolt.com for more info on lithium batteries.
You might also like to think about going to Europe, if only for the winter. Much more wild camping opportunities and of course the summer in eastern Europe would be very cheap in say Bulgaria. :)

Agree that Lithium is expensive, but I have a feeling the best choice for us as with working from the van, power is paramount.

We are probably a year away from full-timing, so I'm hoping lithium prices come down in that time, but also looking at other solutions.

I have a good B2B charger in my current van (CTEK 250s, Smartpass & MXS25) with 200w of solar, charging 400ah of batteries. It's been good but the advances in battery tech the last few years have been huge. Just not filtered well to the leisure industry yet. As I mentioned earlier, the solution might be building a Tesla type Powerwall solution. I'll give it more though :)

Europe will happen, but not in my dogs lifetime. No hurry as mid 40's, plenty of time (I hope) to visit everywhere.

Thanks.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I think you'll find it's @Jim who has the satellite broadband. Don't know about the microwave though.
No it wasn't Jim, it was a guy in a self build with lots of pine inside. It was on one of the FB sites I followed till I binned the lot.

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
@Wissel - of course, very happy to answer 534 questions as and when they arise!

Step unfortunately doesn't successfully stow on the bed, and in fact you have to be a bit careful how the duvet and pillows are stashed to get the bed to shut properly. Swmbo getting the hang of it now but often needs a bit of juggling!

Re kitchen space, yes, that's exactly what we (I) do . Luckily with the "parcel shelf" space most of the cr@p we normally have on the table can be easily shifted to another flat surface!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
For satellite systems, these folk can supply:
And data packages from these folk: https://www.broadbandeverywhere.co.uk/packages/2
I think the hardware can be a bit cheaper, for example if you already have a satellite dish you can add a second LNB but you will need the receiver box.

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
I'm sure VanBitz can supply lithium batteries & Satellite internet solutions.

With MotorHomeFun discount(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back