LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
none of mine or anyone I know have ever caught fire, sounds like a good sales tactic for a product that can last 20-25 years for static ones

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
There is a government report on this, which I haven't read, so it must happen, though I have never heard of it until now, must be very rare we are surrounded by them.
I wouldn't put too much credence on a YouTube opinion though.

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
The faults shown are all possible depending on abuse/poor fitting/poor quality etc but the fact he spends the last couple of minutes talking about a specific brand recommendation is where I saw it as a promotion video.
There are quite a few manufacturers of excellent reputation for quality panels and should have no issues if fitted correctly.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
That’s a valid point the guy explains and pretty good example. Fortunately, not many of those panels have made it to Europe. Stick to known brand accredited names and you don’t have a problem. When too many brow spots and multi panel array string, the healthy panels can push current trough the damaged ones, destroy the bypass diodes and fire starts at the junction box. I have changed burned panels in the past on flat roofs mounted on consoles. The heat melted the consoles and damaged the roof to. This was 7 panel string with 3 panels burned out. In the first edition with 2 and 3 buss bars panels you still have the chance of snail trail and brown spots. When most went to 5 buss bars, this faults have been eliminated. Old second hand panels, I’ll handled and twisted, still suffer of micro cracks. If You can see them, you check the back sheet and the bypass diodes. If back sheet is ok, and diodes are still working, it’s ok to still use it at a slight reduced output. The killer will be long strings with other healthy panels in the mix, and transient shade. Periodic cleaning helps with shaded areas that can heat up and activate the diodes for long, causing them to heat and fail.
I do have early Renesola 2-3 on the garage with snail trails, they still work ok.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back