SOG toilet emptying... bio-hazard ? (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
This is not about kids playing in the garden, dirty money, pigs rooting about in shit, or touching public loo handles..

going back to my original premise..

and it's only MY opinion,.. treated toilet waste is safer to handle than non treated. Not convinced otherwise.

I prefer using chemicals, others prefer a SOG.., JAWs prefers both.. it's that simple.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
and it's only MY opinion,.. treated toilet waste is safer to handle than non treated. Not convinced otherwise.
From a personal biological hazard standpoint, I would say that is almost certainly true.

When individuals make the decision as to what to use, they are usually looking at a wider set of parameters.

1. If the hazard presented by fresh untreated waste is low, how much is gained by making that risk lower still?
2. What, if any, additional personal risk is attached to exposure to formaldehyde?
3. Is there significant general environmental risk attached to the use of formaldehyde (or similar chemicals in similar products).
4. Is the enhanced safety worth the restrictions on where chemically treated waste can be disposed of (no septic tank systems)?
5. Is there any health benefit at all from the use of bio-wash products as an alternative?
6. Which of the resultant alternative smells is least objectionable?

There are four common alternatives.
1. Traditional chemical treatment to kill bacteria.
2. 'Organic' products that are supposed to inhibit 'bad' bacteria (& possibly promote 'good' bacteria)
3. Bio-washing products that may or may not have similar properties to option 2.
4. Nothing at all, with or without SOG.

Nobody appears to have died recently & no official body has deemed it a serious enough topic to regulate for, so I don't think anyone has the definitive answer on what is 'best'.

The only common ground seems to be that provided sensible hygiene procedures are followed, the risk to an otherwise healthy individual is low, whichever option they chose.

It's good that we still have free choice about some aspects of our lives. :):)

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Not sure if we go too far with this. The Parachute Regiment used to play a game. The DIRTIEST, FILTHIEST most DISGUSTING game in the world. It was called 'Freckles'

DO NOT open this link unless you are EXTREMELY broad minded.......

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=game of freckles

Enough to say that I never came across any disease, malady, or instance of cholera in those who participated. :sicker::sicker:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
one question.... do you wear gloves and a mask when using the toilet?

as for SOGs well nasty smelly campers, cant smell their own shit but everyone else does.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
I was thinking of installing a SOG In my new van.. then it occurred to me..

Does anyone take precautions.. ie .. use disposable cloves, mask and or goggles when emptying them? I've certainly never seen anyone doing that.. but there must be some risk from splashes or droplets in the air getting onto your hands, clothing or being inhaled..

I know SOGs are popular and their users sing their praises.. and I can see the benefit of having the gasses expelled outside.. but if you also need to use toilet fluids to be safe, frankly I see little benefit.

What do you think ?

Do you

a) Use a SOG without chemicals
b) Use a SOG with toilet chemicals
c) Don't use a SOG

far more risk from splashes of formaldehyde etc. in "proper" toilet fluid.

https://www.osha.gov/OshDoc/data_General_Facts/formaldehyde-factsheet.pdf

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Its a bit Of shit....get over it.

Todays kids have so many allergies because they arent exposed in their early years to what gives them the allergies.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Nice choice....(y) Do they do them in red???
No, sorry no red but they do nice shades of green, purple & blue to match your prefered chemicals but I prefer the sh1t colour to blend with the aftermath of my chem-free SOG.(y)

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
No, sorry no red but they do nice shades of green, purple & blue to match your prefered chemicals but I prefer the sh1t colour to blend with the aftermath of my chem-free SOG.(y)
Agreed. Then you don't need to wash it off if you have a small splashage.......(y)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Not sure if we go too far with this. The Parachute Regiment used to play a game. The DIRTIEST, FILTHIEST most DISGUSTING game in the world. It was called 'Freckles'

DO NOT open this link unless you are EXTREMELY broad minded.......

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=game of freckles

Enough to say that I never came across any disease, malady, or instance of cholera in those who participated. :sicker::sicker:
On a similar but slightly better mannered vein a rugby playing Para told me about the cry "Feet!". It was used when they were all crowded around a table in a pub and someone needed a pee but was too pi**ed or lazy to bother to actually walk to the toilet. I will let your imagination work out why you needed to lift your feet from the floor.

Great thread.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
There is only one way to eliminate all risk.

Delegate cassette emptying to the wife.

Add to that cat sh*t collections off the lawn before I do manly stuff like mowing it.(y)

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Was talking last night to a very height authority on shit that if you want your black tank or toilet to work properly and it be safe for any septic tank don't use chemicals of any kind.
If you don't empty every day no big Deale the best thing you can do the bacteria will be working on the s###t to brake it down.
as for danger of getting something from your own or family waste is very very low
he has both a motor home and a boat.
He says that he only empty's it when its full even after leving it for weeks. Personally would not but each to there own.
he works for a chemical toilet septic tank empting company as a manager and work his way thought the shite as he put it he dose not advocate the use of any of the nastily chemicals .
but owing to company policy he has to in the portaloo
As Theas kill natural yeast that help to brake down the waste.
Just to ade he has worked in the industry for over thirty years and never got any serious deses or illness he dose put it down to exposure to many
bugs and a very good immune system now.
bill

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back