SOG toilet emptying... bio-hazard ?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by scotjimland, Nov 3, 2014.

1. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

I was thinking of installing a SOG In my new van.. then it occurred to me.. do SOG toilets, (or indeed those that only have a washing liquid instead of a proprietary toilet chemical) , present a bio-hazard to those emptying them?

Does anyone take precautions.. ie .. use disposable cloves, mask and or goggles when emptying them? I've certainly never seen anyone doing that.. but there must be some risk from splashes or droplets in the air getting onto your hands, clothing or being inhaled..

I know SOGs are popular and their users sing their praises.. and I can see the benefit of having the gasses expelled outside.. but if you also need to use toilet fluids to be safe, frankly I see little benefit.

What do you think ?

Do you

a) Use a SOG without chemicals
    b) Use a SOG with toilet chemicals
    c) Don't use a SOG

2. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

SOG with Tescos finest bio. No gasmask, goggles or green rubber suit when emptying. How did you manage to empty the RV black tank Jim :).

3. Theonlysue

Theonlysue Funster Life Member

No sog. No chemicals. Daily emptying with gloves.

• Like Like x 1
  4. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I use bio washing liquid but no SOG. I keep a pair of gloves in the van in case the disposal point is filthy but hardly ever use them. A good hand wash when finished, using anti-bacterial liquid, has always been sufficient. Having been brought up in the country, where we played in farm fields often enough, has probably given me some immunity and changing nappies provided the rest :LOL:

• Like Like x 4
  5. Snowbird

Changing nappies...ugggh, please don't go there Graham, I feel all queazy thinking about it 20 years later.

• Like Like x 2
  6. buttons

buttons Funster

I guess one of the problems with using washing liquid is no movement in a static van tank. Washing machines work on rapid mixing and movement. I can say that after just one night of liquid only usage, the content is putrid. I wouldn't want a splash in my eye, mouth or even on a hand.

7. icantremember

icantremember Funster

SOG - No chemicals &empty at least once a day if possible.

I usually wear rubber gloves as you never know where the flush water hose has been before.:eek:

I also try to stand back and keep my gob shut!

These are exactly the same precautions I would take if using chemicals.

The gloves are chemical resistant and get sprayed with anti bacterial fluid after use and get washed regularly.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  8. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

I just wash my hands thoroughly after emptying it. The contents are not a great risk - unless someone in the MH has cholera or ebola.

I can't remember the proportion but if you took a swab from the hands of say a hundred people you would find faecal bacteria on quite a few of them.

9. trekkin

trekkin Read Only Funster

Like an RV tank I understand them to be aerated. This keeps all the good bacteria alive that helps to process the waste in a totally natural way, the same way in fact that it it processed in the sewage treatment plant. There are no nasty harmful chemical required, no smells in the van, and the end result is a natural product So if left long enough it will become totally harmless

The only reason you need to add chemical to the cassette type toilet is that they are totally sealed and air tight, this suffocates the good bacteria and stops the natural breakdown process. Using harmful chemicals to destroy all the bacteria reducing smells, and disguising the odour with that distinctive smell

The contents of a aerated tank (be it RV or sog) is in fact far less harmful to the environment that the contents of a cassette with elsan type chemical, even the environmentally friendly type. So any that is inadvertently dropped on the ground is less of a pollution problem.

So in reality it should prob be the other way around, bio suit to empty the cassette, after all, your local water authority do not issue bio suits to the workers at the sewage works, just good hygiene and ensure that their booster jabs are up to date

Why use chemicals when you don't need to, SOG without

Adrian

10. scotjimland

Same as you Dave.. with a 4 in flexi-hose or macerator.. and yes, there is also a risk from doing that.. but the hose is generally in a drain

11. Mel

Mel Funster

Sog no chemicals empty once a day if poss.

Mel

• Like Like x 1
  12. Jim

Jim Ringleader

No sog, no chemicals, definitely no gloves. Chances are, with all that emptying, gloves harbour more dangers than the waste. Your waste might be hazardous to others, but not really dangerous to you. In the elsan locker I keep some anti-bacterial gel and always use that after touching that tap that's had all those filthy gloves on it. :)

• Like Like x 12
  13. Taran_Las

Taran_Las Funster

No SOG & no chemicals. Empty daily (cassette that is not bladder:LOL:). No gloves just a good hand wash on completion (cassette and bladder:LOL:).

• Like Like x 1
  14. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Yes Dave, far worse than emptying a cassette :LOL:

15. chaser

chaser Funster

Not really any problem as long as your sensible, how many of the old nightsoil collectors keeled over, you wouldn't eat it but it's just normal stuff unless as someone said they have some deadly disease , in which case they hardly be motorhomeing.

16. Snowbird

I am with Graham on this. Anyone that has survived changing nappies should have no problem with a cassette. Does this bring back memories.

• Like Like x 1
  17. scotjimland

brought up six Dave, .. so well acquainted with the pleasures of changing and washing shitty terry nappies.. (never used disposables) .

nor do I have an issue emptying shit from a cassette.. or a black tank.. smell doesn't bother me.

I'm not convinced that the 'friendly' bacteria kills the 'bad guys' in a SOG , that takes time and aeration .. that doesn't happen in the time between dumps in an enclosed cassette ..

the question was, are we potentially exposing ourselves to pathogens from untreated toilet feces when emptying a SOG toilet.

18. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

No. People have drunk their own urine (it's sterile) and female dogs will eat the faecies of their pups. Neither kill. It may not be pleasant but even well matured and smelly it isn't deadly. There are worse bugs in the soil. And that's not meant to be a pun.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

Just empty when full use bio washing fluid haven't dyed yet of cholera or typhus yet but thar again I don't in tend drinking it.
    The risk of getting any of those is slim unless you contaminate you water supply or food good hygiene and don't drink the poo water
    BILL

• Like Like x 1
  20. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

:LOL::LOL: Never that bad Dave but cassettes are definitely easier to deal with :LOL:

• Like Like x 1