Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
The shakedown first trip for our (ahem) new aquisition (1985 fiat ducato with glendale home). We left essex and headed for Devon, as first timers we overnighted ina mway services, very nearly resulted in a fight, robbing ****** barstewards:Blush:.
Left Devon and went to Cornwall to see my sister, its a chore, but as she ownes a pub that does real ale and home cooked grub, the visit was worth it:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:. we then had to go back to Essex for a long term babysitting job, (Take That, you owe me one tank of diesel), then off to Snowdonia.
Up till then, we had found a couple of leaks when it rained, nothing much, but its gone on the list for immediate attention. I also found an oil leak, and a balljoint that will be replaced.
The ducato gearbox had my wife making noises I hav,nt heard since our honeymoon, while going over and around the Welsh mountains, the odds of me finding the right gear at the right time will beat the lottery odds any day:RollEyes:.
The 2000cc petrol engine is going as expected, on some goat scaring inclines, it slows down a LOT, but so would anything, so a tune up, electronic ignition, and she'll be OK. The brakes need sharpening up, the drivers seat needs moving back a bit (long legs), the mirrors need replacing, the stereo needs changing, and there are all told about 10 jobs to be doen or changes to be made in the "home" area. We are currently sitting in a valley in Brecon beacons.....and bleddy loving it:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
GiDay !
The Gearbox mod from delphindesigns.co.uk is well worth the money, Derek is also a good source of hard to get parts for your model W/shop 01258 857474

G/box mod cuts out the sloppy "is it here! no it might be there!" and the knuckles hitting the dash!

Enjoy the old girl, you'll find the build quality surpasses anything from this day and age!:thumb:

OP
OP
darklord

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
Now we are home, a small update, we made some classic clangers on this trip:ROFLMAO:. We did,nt have a water filling pipe, one on one site was £45:Eeek:, so we waited till we got into a town and bought one for a few quid..even though i have a couple at home:cry:.
We stayed on a couple of C&CC sites, as we did when tugging, nice, but the CS's we stayed at were better for us, as long as you are self contained::bigsmile:.
The fridge did not work on gas, and to be honest,...it was pretty pants on 12v, so a new one is on the cards, THAT restricted our shopping a bit:RollEyes:.
Had a blow out on the M4 near london on the last leg home, changed and on the way again pretty quick smart, all the tools, overalls etc to hand and ready,......but the warning triangles were on the roof with the chairs:ROFLMAO::Doh::Doh:, so had to use the step to keep 44ton artics from dissapearing up me bum:Eeek:.
Lots learned, but we enjoyed it, and of all the forms of camping we have tried, this one suits us best.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back