LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
Can anyone give a definitive answer as to whether snow chains must be carried or winter tyres fitted if you are travelling between Bordeaux - Irun and heading for Spain/Portugal, or is there another route close by that circumnavigate the snow routes, without sailing Portsmouth Santander please. Many thanks.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Hi,

As far as I know, if you take the route you suggest, winter tyres and snow chains are not a legal requirement.

I’ve driven it many times.

Take the coastal route through Irún, then into the Ap68 to Zaragoza, sagunt, Valencia and along the coast.
9F457F94-459D-4431-9097-DF6651BFAE12.png

OP
OP
gwyntaxi

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
Hi,

As far as I know, if you take the route you suggest, winter tyres and snow chains are not a legal requirement.

I’ve driven it many times
Hi,

I’ve driven it many times
Thanks for your reply.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Can anyone give a definitive answer as to whether snow chains must be carried or winter tyres fitted if you are travelling between Bordeaux - Irun and heading for Spain/Portugal, or is there another route close by that circumnavigate the snow routes, without sailing Portsmouth Santander please. Many thanks.
The rules have changed and strictly speaking all of the French departments bordering Spain are able to enforce that either you have winter tyres ( with the mountian symbol) or Snow Chains. Luckily I have them but if I didnt, I don't think I would be rushing out to get them if I was sticking to the Motorway route as shown by EuroTrotters . If you wanted to go through Somport etc then I would get some chains to be on the safe side although Ive never needed them yet.

This might be helpful - but probably not gospel.

• Informative
Reactions: f6c
OP
OP
gwyntaxi

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
The rules have changed and strictly speaking all of the French departments bordering Spain are able to enforce that either you have winter tyres ( with the mountian symbol) or Snow Chains. Luckily I have them but if I didnt, I don't think I would be rushing out to get them if I was sticking to the Motorway route as shown by EuroTrotters . If you wanted to go through Somport etc then I would get some chains to be on the safe side although Ive never needed them yet.

Many thanks for the information.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
If you look at the map the regions can impose the requirement for tyres or chains from the atlantic to the med. Even via Irun if they wish to impose it you are stuck.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back